PhD after MD in international school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Val7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am an international student just finishing up med school in Europe, where I an from.
I want to get ECFMG certified in the next year while doing research in the US and then apply to a PhD program in the US.
I don't have any research experience yet but will have at least a year once I apply (dont know about future publications...)
What are my chances to get in?
What can I do to improve my chances? Do I have any "red flags"?
Would it be easier to do residency and fellowship first and then do a PhD or the other way around? I am thinking PhD first would be the way to go but correct me if I am wrong.
If anyone is in the same boat, please contact me!

Thanks,
Val

Members don't see this ad.

What do you hope to gain from a PhD? I fail to see any compelling reason for getting a PhD after medical school when you'd be well-prepared for a faculty job by going through a research-intensive fellowship.

Many foreign physicians seem to get a PhD in hopes of increasing their competitiveness for residency in the US, but it seems to be unusual for it to actually make a difference.

And if you are already competitive for residency, you are likely to actually be decreasing your chances due to increasing time since graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never see one case of pursuing a Ph.D. after resident training in the last 30 years. If you are interested in resesarch and good at it, you don't need a Ph.D. Many straight MDs are successful in obtaining grants. If you are not good at research, a Ph.D. may not help. I do see people spending several miserable years in a lab after resident training to try to be a translational/basic science investigators. Some work out OK. If you are really interested in research, you can pursue a Ph.D. now. It may help your match in some specialties if you have a Ph.D.

I don't want to do a PhD to get more competitive for the match, I think I am fine without. I am really interested in research and would like to do a PhD. If I do decide to do one, should I do it before residency+fellowship or after?
I doubt I will really have enough time during residency to do serious research...

K31 beat me to it. Take your Steps and get in the Match ASAP. If you feel the need for a PhD 5 years from now, pursue it after your residency or fellowship.

I don't want to do a PhD to get more competitive for the match, I think I am fine without. I am really interested in research and would like to do a PhD. If I do decide to do one, should I do it before residency+fellowship or after?
I doubt I will really have enough time during residency to do serious research...

After residency as stated by gutonc.

You can do PhD before the residency. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. PhD is usually 3-4 years. And you can do all the steps during this period. And you should be selective of the advises you get because a lot of them are from pre-medical students who dont even know what PhD means. Just go with your instincts. And get advise only from people who have been there.

After residency and fellowship, if you must. I just don't see the point of it.

You can do PhD before the residency. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. PhD is usually 3-4 years. And you can do all the steps during this period. And you should be selective of the advises you get because a lot of them are from pre-medical students who dont even know what PhD means. Just go with your instincts. And get advise only from people who have been there.

^^That up there...worst advice in this thread.

The longer you wait to start residency, the less competitive you'll be. If you're already a competitive candidate, a PhD won't help you and will probably harm you. If you get to the point in your career where you feel a PhD is necessary, you can do it with 2-3 years of it paid at your PGY level (like in the $60K/y range vs. the $20-25K range you'll make as a grad student) as a "research fellow." Then you can finish it up as an "instructor" or "adjunct faculty" in the $80-100K range.