PhD Clinical/Counseling Psychology Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mercury1232

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I posted some time ago about online PhD programs in Psychology and received many responses on the reasons not to go to an online PhD. After thinking about it, I decided thats not the route I want to go. Now my question is what are some good psychology programs within texas, specifically the dallas surrounding areas that are good programs for clinical and/or counseling psychology. I also am interested in learning about fully funded programs which I have seen mentioned on the board. Can anyone give me some information on how these programs work and where I can find info on them, such as state listings and program information. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I posted some time ago about online PhD programs in Psychology and received many responses on the reasons not to go to an online PhD. After thinking about it, I decided thats not the route I want to go. Now my question is what are some good psychology programs within texas, specifically the dallas surrounding areas that are good programs for clinical and/or counseling psychology. I also am interested in learning about fully funded programs which I have seen mentioned on the board. Can anyone give me some information on how these programs work and where I can find info on them, such as state listings and program information. Thanks.

Well, first you'll need to make sure your interests match with a school that's in Texas. you can do so by looking up APA-accredited schools on APA's website. But I would recommend that you not focus on what state you would like your school in, but rather what area you would like to research. If you have former research experience, that can generally help narrow down your interests,

Restricting your search for clinical psychology programs to one state, much less one city, is extemely tough. Something like 90 percent of clinical students have to train in another state because of the sheer competitivnes of the field/programs and the diversity of research interests that one can have. Its not a very viable option unless you have made yourself some kind of superstar in undergrad. Even then, it would be risky simply because of the statistics of the applicant to acceptance ratios in this field. I would get used to being at least somewhat geographically mobile in this field because you will have to move (probably out of the state you're in) for the pre-doc intership year. My, and everyone else's advice is going to be to get used to being more mobile if you want to pursue this field.

Texas also has alot of competitive programs, which doesn't help your situation any. Off the top of my head: Southern Methodist University, UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, University of North Texas, Texas Tech, University of Texas-Austin, Sam Houston State (known for forensic stuff) University of Houston (known for neuropsych). As far as I know, all except North Texas offer remission and full funding. Oh, and I think there is an Argosy campus in Dallas, but you don't want to do that to yourself.:p

"Good psychology programs" are ones that are good for you and your interests. For example, no one would argue that Yale is a bad psych program. But would it be a good for me? No, not at all. It explicitly wants to train academics (even though its a clinical program), Further, and probably more important, there is simply not alot of research going on there that I'm interested in. Im interested in aging and the neuropsychology of aging, so I looked at programs with people who are working/researching in that area when I was applying. People pick Ph.d programs for the faculty and how it matches with what they are interested in researching and pursuing while they are there. People get accpeted because they "match", and "fit" with a professor who is taking students. So....what are you interested in? And are there any profesors at the texas school doing that? Psy.D program dont have that model, so thats not so much of an issue, but I think there is only one Psy.D program in Texas. UT Southwestern, even though its a solid Ph.d program, also doesn't use a mentor model. But obvioulsy, you should be applying there for a reason, not just because its in texas. As with all programs you apply to, there should be some componet of the faculty or what opportunities are offered there that is driving your decision to apply there.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Psy.D program dont have that model, so thats not so much of an issue, but I think there is only one Psy.D program in Texas. UT Southwestern, even though its a solid Ph.d program, also doesn't use a mentor model. But obvioulsy, you should be applying there for a reason, not just because its in texas. As with all programs you apply to, there should be some componet of the faculty or what opportunities are offered that is driving your decision to apply there.

Yeah, aside from Argosy's campus in Dallas, which I don't believe is APA accredited, Baylor is the only PsyD program there that I know of. I think it operates with a mentor match model, though. It is usually mentioned in the same breath as PhD programs because it is highly competitive and fairly research focused.

I agree with erg....TX offers a number of quality programs, though none of which are going to be easy to gain admittance for in clinical or counseling. Baylor is an excellent Psy.D. program (I looked there), though Waco, TX is a bit limited in its population diversity.

Unfortunately not all situations fit the requirements of clinical/counseling programs. There is a great deal of sacrifice in time, effort, and often geography.

At the very least I'd look for:

1. APA accreditation.....as non-APA programs have a great number of drawbacks in the short and long term.
2. Some type of funding....TA, RA, GA.....some kind of funding, preferrably fully-funded with waivers and a stipend.
3. A solid research match. There are very few non-mentor models out there, and even those require a match to a lab/area of research. This is probably the biggest factor in whether people get an interview or not....as programs aren't going to seriously consider somewhere they can't envision as a "fit" in their program.

As others have said, the competition is fierce.

University of North Texas is one of the easier schools to gain admission to, but that doesn't make it easy... even the easy schools are tough. I would suggest that you look at the counseling programs closely, some are very good yet don't get the same number of applicants (increasing your chances at admission.) The clinical programs are all pretty competitive. That said, I wanted to go to a Texas school if I did not gain admission to USUHS. I was granted interviews at Baylor, UNT, UofH, Texas A&M, and Our Lady of the Lake, and was offered admission to Texas A&M (I turned down interviews at OLLU, UofH, and UNT after gaining acceptance at A&M.) So you can do it.

Mark

I also can attest to UNT's competitiveness, as someone who applied there. Of course, it wasn't that good of a fit for me, so I think that's why I didn't get an interview. Or maybe everyone else had better stats. Or... both.