PhD degree on badge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sella.turcica

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was wondering what the general sentiment is about having the PhD degree put on the clinical badge during M3/M4? This might help engage in useful and interesting conversations with faculty if they see that one already has a PhD degree but I am not sure if it isn't frowned upon.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I would think you were a douche

• Haha
Reactions: 40 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@sella.turcica Where would the PhD go on the badge?

5FRZe7X.jpg

It'll definitely engage the faculty in some interesting conversations...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Maybe I should wear a badge that identifies me as a Nurse, eh? That could start some... conversations.
...it’s not a great idea. We are students, best to keep our heads down ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I agree with most that it should be left off. Although a PhD is much more appropriate to put on white coat than the mph I saw everyone in my class

Reactions: 2 users
I personally would not care, but I'd imagine it would come across as pretentious.

None of my other med schoolmates had their other doctorates (PhD, PharmD) on their badges while they were still in school.

Why though why does everyone love having alphabet soup after their name? Dr. John Smith MD PHD FACEP ACEP BLS CPR BS GED MPH MBA. WHY ???

This is weird.

Anyway, I dont feel like you’d be able to get away with this as there seems to be little control over what goes on the badge they give you.

Reactions: 1 users
This is weird.

Anyway, I dont feel like you’d be able to get away with this as there seems to be little control over what goes on the badge they give you.
Exactly. Mines literally just my first name and a picture

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I was wondering what the general sentiment is about having the PhD degree put on the clinical badge during M3/M4? This might help engage in useful and interesting conversations with faculty if they see that one already has a PhD degree but I am not sure if it isn't frowned upon.

What do you think?
We all did it and yes, people often asked about it. Pretty much only positive responses. All the other people responding here are haters. Just don't go around saying you're "Doctor sella.turcica" that's definitely a no no. Although I did have two attendings that would introduce me that way to patients, only one of whom would clarify to the patient that it was a PhD.

We all did it and yes, people often asked about it. Pretty much only positive responses. All the other people responding here are haters. Just don't go around saying you're "Doctor sella.turcica" that's definitely a no no. Although I did have two attendings that would introduce me that way to patients, only one of whom would clarify to the patient that it was a PhD.
I guarantee there were negative responses even if you didn’t hear about them

Reactions: 15 users
It is a sign of a civil society that no one told you what they really thought.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Do it if you like, you earned it... but anyways, it seems to me like you are a person who is very prideful, and doing it to just make yourself stand out, for reasons that are not really honorable... but really no one cares if you decide to put it on or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Can't speak as an attending, but as a resident, I literally don't care. Some of you flex way too much and it's off putting. Can't joke around with over half of you. More than anything, work on the personality and just be a chill person to be around. That will earn you way more points than any letters after your name nor the obnoxious "pimp questions" you hit me and my other co-interns / residents with. We get it, you're excited, you wanna be a surgeon too but calm down, I know just as a little as you do right now. Anyhow, I digressed. Do whatever you want, OP.

Reactions: 4 users

By "all did it" was it more like the standard institutional policy or you all went out of your ways to have the title included on your badges?

If it's the former, then it's simply the culture, and positive responses would be expected. If it's the latter, you may have had positive responses, but people are fickle and love to talk **** about others behind their backs.

A lot of people get the joy of tearing others down to feel better about themselves and make themselves appear to be "interesting conversationalists"; let's be honest, who doesn't like a little drama so long as it doesn't involve themselves.? Anything that brings you out of line from the dead average is ripe for picking.

It just seems merely by asking this question you recognize that there could be some issue with it but are still proceeding down the humble brag pathway; it truly doesn’t matter some people will perceive it negatively and some won’t respond it to it in anyway, the minority may be spurred to conversation about it. If you’re trying to stand out just do a good job on your rotation and don’t expect special treatment because of the PhD. I’ve had plenty on phds on rotation with me and it comes out organically during conversation because i conduct a lot of research so I always try to gage students’ interest So I can tailor their experience; I’ve not yet (thankfully) bumped into anyone who has had PhD on their badge, but to be honest I rarely look at the badge so maybe it’s happened and I don’t know.

I'm an interventional radiologist and we often have medical students and residents rotate through our department. I think it would be very interesting to have a PhD rotate with us. It would certainly provide an interesting topic of conversation. I would not perceive it to be pretentious at all.

I am an MD who has another degree on my badge, and a patient literally questioned me and my expertise the other day because they expected to see only the MD and nothing else. Made me rethink things, and in my case my badge clearly labels me as an MD also.

If you put the PhD on you’re doing it for yourself - you have every right to do it because you earned it but it’s for ego and will only confuse the people who matter, patients.

Also as others have said you will never have people think you’re a tool by not putting PhD on your badge as a med student, but I guarantee some people will be turned off by it if it’s included.

Ours don’t even say medical student. They just say “student” lol.
I heard mine is getting abbreviated even further. I argued against the budget cut, but they're just gonna put "stud" on mine.

:p

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Yea most places you will rotate will just put student or medical student (if you're lucky) and just leave it at that. It's not that serious plus it's just not relevant.