Quantcast

PhD during Family Practice residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.
Do you think it would be possible for me to do a Ph.d during a Family Practice residency? How hard would this be?

Another scenario: someone starts working on an MD/Phd and drops the Phd portion and works on it during residency.

Is any of this possible?

Thanks.

smq123

John William Waterhouse
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think it would be possible for me to do a Ph.d during a Family Practice residency? How hard would this be?

Another scenario: someone starts working on an MD/Phd and drops the Phd portion and works on it during residency.

Is any of this possible?

Thanks.

I don't suppose it matters, but just out of curiosity - a PhD in what?

Reactions: 2 users

AdmiralChz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Is any of this possible?

Thanks.

No. Completing a PhD simply isn’t possible working 60-80 hours per week. Most have difficulty getting one or two papers done in residency, doing a dissertation would be nigh impossible. Plus you need to be focused on learning your specialty and passing your boards, without a major distraction.

There are some institutions that have dedicated research time (1-2+ years) that you might be able to do this in, if you’ve already started. Or a dedicated research fellowship.

Reactions: 4 users

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
No. Completing a PhD simply isn’t possible working 60-80 hours per week. Most have difficulty getting one or two papers done in residency, doing a dissertation would be nigh impossible. Plus you need to be focused on learning your specialty and passing your boards, without a major distraction.

There are some institutions that have dedicated research time (1-2+ years) that you might be able to do this in, if you’ve already started. Or a dedicated research fellowship.
This is true even if you're not also doing a residency.

Reactions: 2 users

SpartanWolverine

I like dark rooms.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Is any of this possible?

Thanks.
How do you foresee this being a possibility? Having two >>full-time jobs at the same time is not physically feasible.

Reactions: 1 users

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
You'd have to solve a lot of the scientific and ethical issues in regard to cloning to make this a possibility.

Reactions: 1 user