PHD Education-concentration in counseling education and supervision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vatocapsycstudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I was wondering if this degree would allow me to apply for licensure as a psychologist in California. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 128
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that a doctorate in education is one of the paths to become licensed as a psychologist? There would be a lot more hurdles to meet the other requirements such as internship and supervised experience but I do believe it would be possible in most states that I know about.

Last edited:
I thought that a doctorate in education is one of the paths to become licensed as a psychologist? There would be a lot more hurdles to meet the other requirements such as internship and supervised experience but I do believe it would be possible in most states that I know about.

EdD yes (assuming a counseling focus), PhD no.

Reactions: 1 user
Counseling Psychology: yes. Counselor Education: no. Counselor Ed and Supervision programs are accredited by CACREP and allow for licensure as a counselor (http://www.cacrep.org/). Counseling Psychology programs are accredited by APA and allow for licensure as a psychologist.

Hello all. Update! I defended my dissertation at the University of Cumberlands in August of 2019. I am also a full time Professor at a college and had adjuct at 3 schools. The program is CACREP and has awesome. People. Feel free to email me at
[email protected]
this reads like one of those Nigerian email scams.

Reactions: 5 users
Hello all. Update! I defended my dissertation at the University of Cumberlands in August of 2019. I am also a full time Professor at a college and had adjuct at 3 schools. The program is CACREP and has awesome. People. Feel free to email me at
[email protected]

I wouldn’t trust this guy’s advice at all. He has a number of posts in the past where he was clearly trying to find loopholes to game the system (i.e., getting a non-therapy doctorate so that he can charge more for his licensed mental health counseling sessions, etc). Shady.

Reactions: 1 users
[email protected]

1) The grammar and spelling are NOT supporting the opinions.

2) This person is not a psychologist. They're a counselor with an additional PhD.

3) What college has full professors without PhDs?

4 ) And what full time professorship would allow enough time for 3 additional adjunct positions?

1) The grammar and spelling are NOT supporting the opinions.

2) This person is not a psychologist. They're a counselor with an additional PhD.

3) What college has full professors without PhDs?

4 ) And what full time professorship would allow enough time for 3 additional adjunct positions?
5. Who would WANT 3 adjunct positions?

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn’t trust this guy’s advice at all. He has a number of posts in the past where he was clearly trying to find loopholes to game the system (i.e., getting a non-therapy doctorate so that he can charge more for his licensed mental health counseling sessions, etc). Shady.

lionel-hutz-business-card-the-simpsons.png

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This person posted the exact same thing in two dead threads in the master’s forum. Seems very suspicious to me to suddenly come back and advertise yourself on multiple threads/forums with no (clear) reason for doing so.

This person posted the exact same thing in two dead threads in the master’s forum. Seems very suspicious to me to suddenly come back and advertise yourself on multiple threads/forums with no (clear) reason for doing so.
I'm willing to bet $100 that he is now faculty at the University of Cumberland, the online PhD program he went to that has a 31% graduation rate, and is now trying to solicit applications from suckers to give him job security.

Usually these threads are a clear example of why to skip these fly by night joke programs...but in case it isn’t clear....don’t consider them.

When considering any Clinical/Counseling Psychology programs, here are the basics: APA-acred, university-based, and as close to fully-funded as you can find.

Pursuing a non-license eligible doctorate to conflate training standards and to call yourself “doctor” are not part of the recommended approach if you want to be a licensed clinical/counseling psychologist. It is actually against our ethics to mislead the public and it would likely lead to a board complaint.

Usually these threads are a clear example of why to skip these fly by night joke programs...but in case it isn’t clear....don’t consider them.

When considering any Clinical/Counseling Psychology programs, here are the basics: APA-acred, university-based, and as close to fully-funded as you can find.

Pursuing a non-license eligible doctorate to conflate training standards and to call yourself “doctor” are not part of the recommended approach if you want to be a licensed clinical/counseling psychologist. It is actually against our ethics to mislead the public and it would likely lead to a board complaint.
Of the various state licensing bodies, outside of multiple relationships with clients (typically romantic/sexual or financial in nature), the main reason for disciplinary actions seems to be misleading the public about credentials and scope.

Extreme Hardship Immigration Evaluations in NYC | George J. Ramos
:wow: Guess NY is one of those states!
His LinkedIn profile says he is assistant professor at the school he got his masters degree in.

Holy crap is this an ethical and professional minefield.

What is the literature basis for "extreme hardship" evaluations? What are the professional and assessment guidelines for these evaluations? How sound are the psychometrics for whatever instruments are being used for this purpose? Are SVTs and PVTs being used, especially as there is so much potential secondary gain?

Does this person have sufficient training in general assessment and in this particularly niche specialty area of forensic psych?

Dr. Ramos has provided immigration hardship evaluations for a diverse range of ethnic backgrounds and different cultures, including individuals from South America, Middle East, Europe, East Asia, and Mexico.

How is he competent to evaluate people from all these disparate cultural backgrounds?

What are the protections to assure that these extremely vulnerable people are not being taken advantage of? How could they possibly be aware of the standards of the field and whether this person is qualified to do these evaluations?

Of the various state licensing bodies, outside of multiple relationships with clients (typically romantic/sexual or financial in nature), the main reason for disciplinary actions seems to be misleading the public about credentials and scope.

Holy crap is this an ethical and professional minefield.

What is the literature basis for "extreme hardship" evaluations? What are the professional and assessment guidelines for these evaluations? How sound are the psychometrics for whatever instruments are being used for this purpose? Are SVTs and PVTs being used, especially as there is so much potential secondary gain?

Does this person have sufficient training in general assessment and in this particularly niche specialty area of forensic psych?

How is he competent to evaluate people from all these disparate cultural backgrounds?

What are the protections to assure that these extremely vulnerable people are not being taken advantage of? How could they possibly be aware of the standards of the field and whether this person is qualified to do these evaluations?

"Mr. Ramos guarantees that the report will be professional, detailed, truthful, accurate, and that it will utilize evidence-based tools, and that the results of the psychometric tests are done together successfully with the applicant"

Don't like the sound of that one bit.

"Mr. Ramos guarantees that the report will be professional, detailed, truthful, accurate, and that it will utilize evidence-based tools, and that the results of the psychometric tests are done together successfully with the applicant"

Don't like the sound of that one bit.
What does that even mean? No take-home tests?

Also, I have a theory hypothesis that the number of times one has to emphasize honesty, accuracy, and other adjectives for integrity is inversely correlated with the actual integrity of the activity.

Last edited:
What does that even mean? No take-home tests?

Also, I have a theory that the number of times one has to emphasize honesty, accuracy, and other adjectives for integrity is inversely correlated with the actual integrity of the activity.

It says he offers "in home" evaluations where testing and the interview are conducted at the client's home. That doesn't sound problematic when administering standardized testing instruments :smack:

Not to beat up on this guy, but these are some qualifications he listed for providing this highly specialized service:
  • Guest Lecturer at multiple universities
  • Chi Sigma Iota Honor Society Member
Yikes...

I'm legitimately curious what his training is in psychometrics and test interpretation.

To be fair, there are differences between using questionnaires like the BDI-2 and BAI and actual psychological assessment. That said, there is still a lot more to consider that is specific to assessment that needs to be known for interpretation to mean anything. For instance, if these are first generation immigrants, understanding their level of acculturation, the impact that culture beliefs can have on their answers, and how psychometrics of certain measures do and do not account for cultural factors.

The more I think about it, the more problematic it sounds, particularly working with such a vulnerable population. I don’t mean this as a pile-on, but it's important for prospective students, current trainees, and other professionals to understand the very real implications of providing these services.

Reactions: 6 users
From the New York State Office of the Professions website psychology section consumer information page:

Who may use the terms "psychologist," "psychological," or "psychology" alone or in combination with other words and phrases?
Only a licensed psychologist or a person working in an "exempt setting" may use these titles and terms. Exempt settings include chartered schools, settings operated by the government, and most colleges and universities. Students who are working in settings as part of their authorized doctoral program may have titles such as "psychologist-in-training" or "psychology intern."
Psychotherapists are not necessarily licensed as psychologists in New York.

...and from that guys website (Immigration Psychological Evaluation Services | George J. Ramos LMHC):

Immigration Psychological Evaluation Services – How I Can Help
Relative to an immigration psychological evaluation petition, George J. Ramos, a licensed mental health counselor, can diagnose, comparably to a psychologist, mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, PTSD, and other traumatic symptoms, which can be used as supportive evidence for an immigration petition.”

Methinks he is doing something a tad bit wrong there, wouldn’t you agree? Perhaps a note to the board is in order. Any of you licensed in New York want to do the honors?

Reactions: 2 users
Laws, board rules, and practice guidelines can be complicated. I’m guessing this person is operating out of ignorance versus indifference or malice. Per our ethics code, I have attempted to first address this informally andinform Mr. Ramos that he is in potential violation by using the contact form on his website. People who perform or purport to perform psychological services with appropriate training and credentials are a threat to the public, as well as to our profession, and we have an obligation, as licensed psychologists, to take some action.

Laws, board rules, and practice guidelines can be complicated. I’m guessing this person is operating out of ignorance versus indifference or malice. Per our ethics code, I have attempted to first address this informally andinform Mr. Ramos that he is in potential violation by using the contact form on his website. People who perform or purport to perform psychological services with appropriate training and credentials are a threat to the public, as well as to our profession, and we have an obligation, as licensed psychologists, to take some action.

This person has been looking for loopholes to allow them to do assessment with a mid-level licensure for several years now. I'd posit that this and the wording on their website make it fairly transparent that their doctorate in counseling education was a way to garner legitimacy and confuse patients (i.e., a serious ethical violation) that they are qualified to do these assessments.

Hello all, tough crowd but no hard feelings!
I did get an email regarding some of the wording on my site. Thank you for your feedback!
I hope you all are doing very well in your career endeavors!
We may be tough, but we’re fair. On your site you say in multiple locations that you are conducting “Immigrant Psychological Evaluations.” Use of the word “psychological,” alone or in combination with other words, is restricted to licensed psychologists or exempt entities. If you don’t fit into either of these categories, you could likely be considered (by the board of psychology) to be practicing psychology without a license. You should review the following website:

Information regarding use of specific terms can be found in the “consumer information” section.

I thank you for your feedback. I will review and make the needed adjustments. I intend to make a distinction between immigration mental health evals and immigration psych evals. Again, I thank you for your feedback and I will review the content. Feel free to reach to me via email as well.
Ah, so you own a thesaurus.

I thank you for your feedback. I will review and make the needed adjustments. I intend to make a distinction between immigration mental health evals and immigration psych evals. Again, I thank you for your feedback and I will review the content. Feel free to reach to me via email as well.
You are welcome. I sincerely hope that this was just an issue of you not being aware of protected terminology and you will actually make the changes. Ideally, you’d also assure that any services you provide fall within your training and appropriate scope of practice. Many of us here also work with vulnerable populations and will take VERY SERIOUSLY our ethical obligations to protect such groups from potential exploitation, up to and including informing the appropriate authority if less formal methods are not effective.

I am very serious about my work and the populations that I serve. My reports always state that my evals are mental health/psycho-social reports.

And what is the difference between that and a "psychological eval?" Do patients, their attorneys, and the courts know the difference between these or are you taking advantage of the ambiguity?

I have supported my clients in providing comprehensive reports and thus far, have only received compliments from my referring attorneys.

That's not necessarily a good thing.

I only use instruments my license allows me to administer and interpret.

What instruments would those be that they purportedly take two hours to administer, score, and interpret, as per your website?

Also, 3-6 hour for interviewing? Are you serious?

“There are times where the court may wish to speak to us regarding a case. Telephonic testimony can be provided and should be scheduled in advance, at an additional cost. In extremely rare cases, an in-person appearance may be required. However, this comes at a great cost to the practice, as other clients would have to be rescheduled to accommodate. This comes at a high cost to the client, and is, therefore, highly discouraged.”

You don’t get to choose/discourage judges or attorneys from subpoenas. You can advise against, but there is no guarantee.

“There are times where the court may wish to speak to us regarding a case. Telephonic testimony can be provided and should be scheduled in advance, at an additional cost. In extremely rare cases, an in-person appearance may be required. However, this comes at a great cost to the practice, as other clients would have to be rescheduled to accommodate. This comes at a high cost to the client, and is, therefore, highly discouraged.”

"You don’t get to choose/discourage judges or attorneys from subpoenas. You can advise against, but there is no guarantee."

To be fair, this seems a bit nitpicky, as this is common informed consent language amongst practitioners. Colleagues and I have statements in our consent forms that are worded similarly (although more specific), knowing full well that we can't refuse if they're willing to pay the fees. It's just more of a standard "you'll pay up the wazoo for it and the testominy may not be in your favor" disclaimer.

OP, you are probably getting more feedback than you bargained for with your original update post!

It can be difficult for clients to get out of their homes due to a hostile political climate or due to disability. How do you support your clients with similar issues?

Actually, I support my clients quite well. I live in a city very close to the border and worked in community mental health for years and have had a large number of undocumented clients over the years and did a lot of creative problem solving with them about large number of issues impacted by their status. Also with my disabled clients, In my phone, I store resources for free ASL interpreters, services for transcribing informed consents into braille, and ride services for wheel-chair bound clients.

In addition to being sensitive to the needs of disabled and undocumented clients, I'm also sensitive to the fact that some "psychometric tests" as you put it are meant to be administered under certain conditions and that doing so in a home with noise, other people, or other demands/distractions can impact the validity. Serving clients is also about making sure that testing protocols are being followed and the conditions of testing are set up to promote validity and accuracy.

Hello mental health counselors are able to perform and write assessments and Evals as long as they are in the context of their scope of practice and utilities instruments that are within our “wheel-house”.
Evaluations and assessments aren’t only solely under the pysch license. Psych evals are.
Understood. But how are you identifying the practical distinction in content between a mental health eval and psych eval?

I advertise, or at least intent to advertise as providing mental health Evals. If someone calls me and asks for a psych Eval I tell them I do not provide psych Evals as I am not a psychologist.
Again, what is the difference? For example, how would you explain this to a potential client?

I usually explain there may be certain testing that is different. Other than that there is some overlap. The assessment and eval process and is proprietarily psych process.

I think other assumption is that everyone person is looking for “pysch evals”.
Ok, now explain it for everyone here who has been trained in assessment. What, specifically, is different other than the instruments themselves?

And why would an interview take 3-6 hours?

well, it seems like anyone can take this 4 hour webinar training for $500...............It doesn't really say one way or another whether this is supposed to be sufficient or not for training someone to do these evaluations.

Licensed counselors are also trained in assessment and evaluations.
The timing can vary on several factors
Language, test times, interview and etc...

Again, if you would like, I’d be more than happy to refer you to additional resources if you are interested in immigration harshsip Evals. It is really noble work.

What has been your experience with immigration Hardship eval work?
What content can a psych eval include (in this context) that a mental health eval can't? (Aside from the word "psychological," which can become semantics at some point.) I've done work in this exact area and with this population and worked directly with a doctoral level forensic psychologist. I'm curious how those reports we prepared might differ from yours in content.

...(Aside from the word "psychological," which can become semantics at some point.) ...
I believe it was my post that introduced concerns about the use of the term. I was most definitely not taking a positions regarding the meaning of the term (i.e., “semantics”), but on the use of the term. Regardless of the meaning of the term, it’s use in reference to clinical services is restricted in his jurisdiction. It’s not a minor point (in fact, in all this thread it might be the most objective and clear position presented). It’s not my opinion regarding what this guy is doing, but an empirical observation of what he is calling what he is doing on his website and how that seems to be conflict with the stated position/practice of the board. It’s not a “should or should not” opinion based on my personal feelings, but a “can or cant’” position based on the exact wording of the board position statement. Where semantics and regulations compete, the regs will win every time.

This is a good start. Usually you want to work with someone who already has experiences with these Evals before doing your own. Physicians for Humanifg

I’m not totally sure outside of some protected tests that psychologist use. These reports are evaluations done that look at Harship for a qualifying citizen.
I’m not sure how to better answer the question. But to say again, Evals and assessments regarding mental health are not proprietary to psychologist. Social workers and counselors evaluate and assess daily in practice. :)
So, you're saying that you don't know what the difference is other than not using instruments that explicitly require doctoral level training, even though you have been going on and on about how there's a difference between mental health and psychological evaluations?

That sure seems like semantics allowing you to expand your scope of practice without explicitly ruining afoul of the law and regulatory boards.

I think I’m a bit confused.

What is you understanding of the differences between a psych eval and mental health eval? Should MA level clinicians be able to conduct assessments in your view?
I'm not sure what you mean. You're the one who created this dichotomy between mental health evaluations and psychological evaluations but haven't really explained anything when it comes to delineating their differences. In your comment to which I was replying, when asked how one of the mental health evaluation reports differs, you said that you're "not totally sure outside of some protected tests that psychologist use."

Ok I see.
I still am wondering, in your interpretation, can counselors provide evaluations? In my state we are allowed to do so. I am unsure if your question is more rhetorical in nature.
Thank you.
It seems like you're deflecting. If there is a difference and you're practicing inside your scope, why can't you articulate it and describe the differences between these two kinds of evaluations?

People are asking you to

1) Define "Immigration mental health evals"
2) Define "Immigration psych evals"

You are replying by asking if people think mental health counselors can do assessment. That is not giving an answer.

Hey again,

I've tried to answer this question, in good faith, as many times as I could.
I still am wondering, in your interpretation, can counselors provide evaluations? In my state we are allowed to do so. I am unsure if your question is more rhetorical in nature.

No gotcha games here... simply curious. I hoping this is a conversation and not an interrogation.
How would you characterize the difference?
Have you work on immigration mental health evals?
:)

YOUR RESPONSE IS NOT A DEFINITION FOR EITHER TERM.

DEFINE: "IMMIGRATION PSYCH EVAL"
DEFINE: "IMMIGRATION MENTAL HEALTH EVAL"

• Wow