Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

PHD-Forensic Psychology-John Jay College of Criminal Justice

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by Annakei, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Annakei

Annakei Therapist
    5+ Year Member

What are th pros an cons of this program. The first class went in last year. They are brand new and have yet to acquire APA accreditation. They said they have to have 4 classes in before they become elgible to apply. IVe noticed they have changed their program curriculum to resemble a clinical psych program but with a forensic twist-which is to be expected. They are "licensure eligible?" in NY state-but for what I have yet to determine.

Anyhoo, I know that if they become accredited by the APA then it will be a huge plus for the program BUT what if they dont? What can one do with such a degree seemingly useful but not backed by the APA?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DryDoc

DryDoc Member
    5+ Year Member

They have a very high quality faculty. I think that they are almost certain to get APA approval.

4. JatPenn

JatPenn Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Not that APA Accreditation really proves anything about the quality of a program (dah, I should be beaten for stirring the pot...)

5. Annakei

Annakei Therapist
    5+ Year Member

It is my hope that they will get accredited. Not that it sways my decision to apply and attend should I be accepted.

Anymore input?

6. Forensic M.S.

Forensic M.S. Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I was gonna apply there for the Masters in forensic psych but i decided against it. I might go there eventually for the Ph.D possibly. The location is the main problem, living in NYC is very expensive and the transit strike isn't helping either.

7. PsychMode

PsychMode Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would say that if they don't get accreditation don't go. However, you should go if you are really interested in forensic and are not concerned about getting licensed. If I can't get into an APA-accredited program for clinical (or counseling) then I will choose another field. I can see that people have issues with the APA and I'm sure I could see the point of some of these issues. However, accreditation beyond regional accrediation at least tells you that someone looked at the program itself and gave it a thumbs up. I've seen people get jobs with bachelor's degrees from undergraduate institutions that aren't even regionally accredited. I'm sure they have their opinions about regional accreditation depending on what school they came from. But, coming out of high school, I would not have applied to a program that is not regionally accredited either.

8. Forensic M.S.

Forensic M.S. Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i might go to american international for forensic psych. i doubt it is apa approved, but i think its a regionally accredited college.