PhD in clinical investigation during/after fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

threecoins

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting my hem/onc fellowship next year and my goal is to pursue an academic career in phase I clinical trials. I am planning on doing a master's in clinical investigation during my fellowship. My questions are:
- Is there a way to expand this master's program to a PhD in clinical investigation?
- If that is feasible, how much time beyond fellowship would you anticpate it will take me to finish my PhD?
-What are the main differences betwen a basic science PhD and a PhD in clinical investigation?
- I will be in the NYC area, are you aware of any progams that would offer that option?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be starting my hem/onc fellowship next year and my goal is to pursue an academic career in phase I clinical trials. I am planning on doing a master's in clinical investigation during my fellowship. My questions are:
- Is there a way to expand this master's program to a PhD in clinical investigation?
- If that is feasible, how much time beyond fellowship would you anticpate it will take me to finish my PhD?
-What are the main differences betwen a basic science PhD and a PhD in clinical investigation?
- I will be in the NYC area, are you aware of any progams that would offer that option?

- Yes, particularly if you find a CTSA, which are taking MSCI programs and are in the process of developing PhD in Translational Science.
- probably 3-4 years
- PhD in basic science emphasizes fundamental questions in biology (or their field), while clinical investigation will emphasize statistics, database analysis, clinical trial design and other stuff.
- Check the NIH website for CTSA locations. There are about 60 across the country. I assume in NYC that the CTSA will be at Columbia, NYU, etc.

Thanks , that is helpful. So assuming I will spend 18 months of the alloted research time on the PhD didicatic coursework , you would expect it would take me an additional 3-4 years to finish after fellowship?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks , that is helpful. So assuming I will spend 18 months of the alloted research time on the PhD didicatic coursework , you would expect it would take me an additional 3-4 years to finish after fellowship?

I expect that to earn the PhD, you need to carry out a clinical research project. Unlike drosophila or c. elegans, doing research on people takes more time for getting results for a single experiment. It might be that you get lucky and accomplish the PhD dissertation within 4 years (including coursework).