PhD in Clinical still possible? 2 failed Art School credits. Then a transfer.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToTheLighthouse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Art School was pass/fail.
I was there for 2 years.
I have 2 fails on the record for that school.

I am now at a Liberal Arts school.
I will be spending 3 more years here.
When you transfer to a school they start you with a 4.0.
I've gotten straight A's so far.

This just came to mind, and is bringing up some anxiety in me.
Will my 2 fails in Art School affect my chances of getting into a PhD program after I graduate from my current school?

Members don't see this ad.

How would they know about it? Does it say on your current school current transcript that you transfered from the art school? If not, I might not even list the art school or send the transcript. But either way, its unlikely to have much adverse effect if you make solid grades at your current liberal arts school for 4 years.

Last edited:
How would they know about it? Does it say on your current school current transcript that you transfered from the art school? If not, I might not even list the art school or send the transcript. QUOTE]

Well, all of the schools to which I applied required that I list ALL the schools I attended and required that I send transcripts from ALL of those schools.

I think if ToTheLighthouse omitted that information it could be grounds for dismissal from the program, if it were ever found out. . . .

I failed a couple classes in undergrad. That did not affect my ability to get into master's programs, and I have been accepted into two school psychology PhD programs. I doubt those grades would affect you as long as your grades remain strong from here on out.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies guys.

It seems like the current consensus (of 2) is that these 2 (no credit) scores from my art school days, shouldn't make a difference if I do well at my current school.

I will probably be attending this school for a total of 3 years.
Is that long enough to prove that I can do well?
Will I have to work EXTRA EXTRA hard to compensate for those 2 art school grades?
Or will they really be totally insignificant.

If I could, should I try and change those grades from Art School to passing ones? By contacting the professors etc? Or will they really end up being meaningless anyway?

thanks for the replies guys.

It seems like the current consensus (of 2) is that these 2 (no credit) scores from my art school days, shouldn't make a difference if I do well at my current school.

I will probably be attending this school for a total of 3 years.
Is that long enough to prove that I can do well?
Will I have to work EXTRA EXTRA hard to compensate for those 2 art school grades?
Or will they really be totally insignificant.

If I could, should I try and change those grades from Art School to passing ones? By contacting the professors etc? Or will they really end up being meaningless anyway?

I think adcoms will understand that students often struggle with certain classes while they are trying to define their interests. Three years sounds like a good amount of time to show your potential, but I think it would be important to hit the ground running – know exactly what classes you want to take, get an idea of what you want to study, get the proper experience, etc.

Don’t let the 2 failures be the hallmark of your undergraduate career…aim for A’s in your (psychology) classes. The art grades may not necessarily be insignificant because they are there and adcoms will see it if you send your transcripts, but again, if they see improvement and dedication later on I’m sure they will take that into consideration, as well. I don’t think the issue about your art grades is about whether or not it will be meaningful or meaningless in the end. It’s what you make it, and it might be good to address your grades in art school/your past in art school in your SoP should you apply to programs in the future.

In my opinion, trying to retake classes in art school in order to change your failures into passing grades may not be the best use of your time. What’s done is done…and anyway, changing the grades into the general “pass” may not give adcoms a clear sense of how well you did (a pass could mean that you passed with flying colors or barely). Look towards the future and use your time in your undergraduate institution to show them what you can really do.

In my opinion, trying to retake classes in art school in order to change your failures into passing grades may not be the best use of your time. What’s done is done…and anyway, changing the grades into the general “pass” may not give adcoms a clear sense of how well you did (a pass could mean that you passed with flying colors or barely). Look towards the future and use your time in your undergraduate institution to show them what you can really do.

Thanks for the response. It should be noted that all the grades from that school were pass/fail. And that I may not have to retake entire courses, but rather just write a paper for each. Maybe this changes things? Should I at least attempt to change these grades from fail to pass? Or would this still be useless, given this new information?

Thanks for the response. It should be noted that all the grades from that school were pass/fail. And that I may not have to retake entire courses, but rather just write a paper for each. Maybe this changes things? Should I at least attempt to change these grades from fail to pass? Or would this still be useless, given this new information?

The P/F system doesn't really tell the adcoms much of what you can do. They need something concrete and quantitative to compare you with other applicants. Changing to failing grades to passing ones may help, but I don't think it would be worth your time. In my opinion, I would leave it as it is and try to do better in college. If you feel very strongly about getting those passing marks, go for it.

The P/F system doesn't really tell the adcoms much of what you can do. They need something concrete and quantitative to compare you with other applicants. Changing to failing grades to passing ones may help, but I don't think it would be worth your time. In my opinion, I would leave it as it is and try to do better in college. If you feel very strongly about getting those passing marks, go for it.

ok. thank you.

I think I'll just let bygones be bygones and do my best right now.

I failed calculus in 1991 (and had that transcript in there) but carried a 4.0 at my undergrad university (2004-2006), they didn't seem to be too worried about that one failure.

Mark

If it comes up, which it rarely will just be prepared for a good response. Or during applications, schools usually leave a space for you to explain any vagaries in your transcript. Just provide a better response than, "I fell asleep a lot."