PhD in one year, but an MD... never

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gwen11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I think I just wanted some cheering up about my MCAT practice score. I've read many advice articles/threads on studying, know the structure and what I need to cover before the real thing, so basically my real issue now is feeling so discouraged. I'd like to hear any personal stories about success on the MCAT and medical school applications despite some crazy family/work/medical issues and obligations and how you handled it.

I'm currently one year away from my PhD and I've been out of undergrad for several years. In undergrad, I was going through physical and sexual abuse by my father and although I graduated, I failed one year. My dream was to do a joint MD/PhD program, but I knew I would never get in with my low GPA. I never bothered to take the MCAT, applied to Masters and PhD programs and started pursuing my PhD in Neurobiology, all the while regretting not pursuing my dream of doing the joint degree. In 2013, I went through a lot of personal struggles and I was so fed up with the life I was living that I decided to apply to med schools and turn my life around in 2014.

I am currently taking an online Kaplan course and I've been slacking. PhD work is frankly taking a toll on me and I'm gone from home 7 am - 9 pm and work most weekends. When I get home, I either fall asleep during the class because I'm wiped out or don't get anything out of it despite many cups of coffee because of a mental haze. I just exist in a perpetual state of exhaustion and juggling academics, family, family losses, personal life, and health issues currently seems impossible.

The Kaplan class is almost over and I just got around to taking the first full length and got a 24 (7P, 9V, 8BS). Upon seeing the score, I burst out in tears and every thought from "I am dumb" to "I should just quit now" to "I might as well quit my PhD because I'm too stupid" raced through my head. My undergrad GPA is bad (3.2ish) and my grad GPA is 3.9. My hope is that if I do really well on the MCAT, it would help balance out the low undergrad GPA. But yes, there are many factors... I just want to be in control of one of them -- the MCAT.

From reading the forums, I know a bunch of you out there went through a lot of struggles while preparing and applying to medical schools (I've seen single moms in their late 30s who went back for their BS and succeeded in getting into medical school on the forums). Please share your empowering stories and hopefully they can serve as inspiration to people like me.

Thanks,
Gwen

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

I think I just wanted some cheering up about my MCAT practice score. I've read many advice articles/threads on studying, know the structure and what I need to cover before the real thing, so basically my real issue now is feeling so discouraged. I'd like to hear any personal stories about success on the MCAT and medical school applications despite some crazy family/work/medical issues and obligations and how you handled it.

I'm currently one year away from my PhD and I've been out of undergrad for several years. In undergrad, I was going through physical and sexual abuse by my father and although I graduated, I failed one year. My dream was to do a joint MD/PhD program, but I knew I would never get in with my low GPA. I never bothered to take the MCAT, applied to Masters and PhD programs and started pursuing my PhD in Neurobiology, all the while regretting not pursuing my dream of doing the joint degree. In 2013, I went through a lot of personal struggles and I was so fed up with the life I was living that I decided to apply to med schools and turn my life around in 2014.

I am currently taking an online Kaplan course and I've been slacking. PhD work is frankly taking a toll on me and I'm gone from home 7 am - 9 pm and work most weekends. When I get home, I either fall asleep during the class because I'm wiped out or don't get anything out of it despite many cups of coffee because of a mental haze. I just exist in a perpetual state of exhaustion and juggling academics, family, family losses, personal life, and health issues currently seems impossible.

The Kaplan class is almost over and I just got around to taking the first full length and got a 24 (7P, 9V, 8BS). Upon seeing the score, I burst out in tears and every thought from "I am dumb" to "I should just quit now" to "I might as well quit my PhD because I'm too stupid" raced through my head. My undergrad GPA is bad (3.2ish) and my grad GPA is 3.9. My hope is that if I do really well on the MCAT, it would help balance out the low undergrad GPA. But yes, there are many factors... I just want to be in control of one of them -- the MCAT.

From reading the forums, I know a bunch of you out there went through a lot of struggles while preparing and applying to medical schools (I've seen single moms in their late 30s who went back for their BS and succeeded in getting into medical school on the forums). Please share your empowering stories and hopefully they can serve as inspiration to people like me.

Thanks,
Gwen
Dream about your dream, fulfill your dream and live your dream. Don't back down. March forward.
My upmost respect!
Your test practice score is LOW......but the good news is that the fix is on the easiest side PS. Your VR is within striking distance.
I will let other veterans on SDN campus who are more qualified than I am to comment!

Best Luck to you.....:claps:

Reactions: 1 user
with a 3.9 phd and a mid 20's mcat, you can probably get DO....don't give up, increase the score and MD can happen too

Hi gwen
I don't have any awesome uplifting success story for you, but a lot of what you wrote resonated with me. I am also a survivor sexual assault which occurred during my junior year as an undergrad. The impact on my GPA left me in the same boat as you around 3.2. Graduation last may felt like one of the biggest moments of failure in my life, even though I walked. I really thought any dreams of success I had were completely gone. Even when the person who had caused me so much stress was gone, the repercussions where still very much with me and a constant struggle.

That said I just took the MCAT for the second time about a week ago. My FL average was around 35 so Im hoping to be around there.
I hope you don't give up because I think you are closer to your goals than you think. I admire that you are determined to keep going after getting your PhD. Actually im jealous! its an amazing accomplishment!

Also, your first full length should not discourage you AT ALL! It means nothing..... your 9 in VR is actually something to be happy about because that is the hardest section to improve. I would also keep in mind that Kaplan tests are not the best predictors of the real mcat. only AAMC is.....

If I were you I would read the 30+ thread and get some studying ideas. In my personal opinion, im not a huge fan of Kaplan (except for their bio book I think is pretty good). so I would make sure you use as many resources as you need to maximize your score. You might be better off studying more on your own than relying on classes. (Idk who can stay awake during those things)

Good luck gwen! please don't give up or get discouraged!

I am also a grad student and I just wrote my MCAT. I know research is hard and time consuming. But I always try to find time between experiments (when the PCR is running or washing western/FISH) to take a passage or review something. It looks like your weak spot is science. It's kind of rare for PhD student but I think with a good plan you will increase your score very quickly. I remember the first time I started to study my MCAT, my first practice PS was 6 and BS was7 or 8. After and 6 weeks later I scored 12/11 in PS and BS. I had to rewrote it for my verbal but I believe with time your science will significantly inprove. I would like to say don't shoot for a 35+ at this point since it will give you a lot of stress. Focus on knowing the material first. If you know the material very well, you will get rewarded.