PhD --> MD ideas....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fixed Gear

Highly Acetylated Locus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey y'all-

Long story short, I am going to Wash U for a PhD. Didn't get in anywhere for MD or MD/PhD. Not upset- in fact I am rip-roaring-ready-to-go for a PhD at Wash U, becuase, naturally, the place is f'ing incredible. Right now, my plan is to apply to MD programs when my thesis defense draws near. A couple of people have mentioned that i let the MSTP admisistrators at Wash U know this, as people from the DBBS (PhD department) have matriculated into the MST track.

I was wondering if any of you have advice or suggestions that will make me a stellar candidate and get Wash U's MSTP people sooper excited to have me in the program. Aside, of course, from taking the MCAT and blowing the doors of the thing

Peace
Mastodon
(aka Candiria)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Mastodon...

My advice (as I'm sure is pretty obvious) is to just do some hardcore work in your PhD.

Read lots and lots of papers. Know exactly what it is you want to attack and go at it FULL SPEED.

Typically PhD-only students (being that the MD isn't hovering over their shoulders) gets drawn into long projects that may at times be what I like to call "action-potentials" (i.e. all or nothing). So tell your plans to join the MSTP track to your PI and the MSTP administrators so that you all can work together to acheive what you want.

If you can show yourself to be an excellent basic researcher -- you shouldn't have much trouble to go MSTP (I don't think). I'd also try taking the GRE's if you think you can rock it. The reason I say this is MD/PhD programs have to have the track record of their students on hand if ever required to show it when NIH comes around (this is what I heard from the MSTP director at Sinai), and standard test scores cannot be completely bad (however if I remember correctly your MCATs were not dismal at all so there should be no worries).
Just kick-a$$ in your research endeavors and tried to get a paper or two as primary author.

A big fear of some MSTP administrators is: "can our students produce and show themselves to be the stellar candidates they look like on paper?"

Thus, first-author papers are good ways to reflect that.

Also, try to present your data at some MSTP gatherings and get a pulse on the crowd.

Alright I gotta get outta here -- my PI thinks I'm doing image analysis (with a lot of typing :D )

Good Luck!!! :D

JJ4-

That "action potential" comparision was priceless dog.

Thanks for all the ideas and advice. I already took the GRE, and I did pretty well- I was accepted into Wash U from over 800 applicants.......

I guess I need to find out if Wash U will be interested in having me pursue the clinical track, and if I will need to retake the MCAT (my scores expire this year) or if it is a "back door" process.

Time will tell
Mastodon out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else have any ideas?

Vader?
Original?
Sar?
Academic?
Baylor?
Bueller?

I have some thoughts, just want to get a feel for how I should approach the MSTP committee at Wash U to show my excitement and promise

Mastodon Out

Since you are going to be at the school, try to get to know some of the people on the admissions committee. Meeting them in their lab just to discuss "pointers" for how to get into the program, and making a point to smile while you say hello to them in the morning can't hurt. Oh and make sure that you get along extremely well with your PI, and if possible, try to get an articulate PI with a good rep. He or she will need to be your biggest advocate for you to get in.