PhD mentor seeking: how to apply for Phd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apply4phdnyc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I need your help. I have an LMSW and work in a hospital were I provide individual and group therapy. For as long as I remember, I have been interested in applying for O/I Psychology PhD. However, I do not have the research or teaching background and fear this would be an automatic disqualifying factor. actually concerns were validated during an open house I attended . I have applying for entry level research and instructor positions with no luck. I have also been advised that publishing might have a stronger hold than working as an instructor researcher. I would greatly any advised as a first timer in this whole process.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I need your help. I have an LMSW and work in a hospital were I provide individual and group therapy. For as long as I remember, I have been interested in applying for O/I Psychology PhD. However, I do not have the research or teaching background and fear this would be an automatic disqualifying factor. actually concerns were validated during an open house I attended . I have applying for entry level research and instructor positions with no luck. I have also been advised that publishing might have a stronger hold than working as an instructor researcher. I would greatly any advised as a first timer in this whole process.
Thanks

Take night classes to fill knowledge gaps, or consider getting your master's first (one that has you do a thesis and is mentor-based). Otherwise, start getting some teaching experience- you can probably teach at community colleges or other types of schools with your MSW. And start volunteering in labs that do things you're interested in, with the goal to get publications and presentations.

I would focus more on finding research opportunities than teaching. I volunteered doing research for about a year before applying to my program. You have to be able to show/prove that IO psych is what you want rather than just telling them that your interested. Unless you can teach an IO class- I don't see how that would help you. Find some kind of research (paid or not) that is connected to IO.