SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

PhD (Best uni??, GRE?, Intnl qualifn??)

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by vppar, Jun 3, 2008.

1. vppar

Jun 3, 2008
    Dear All,

I have done my master's in Exercise Physiology (UK) and I am interested in doing my PhD in Public health (DrPH/ Epi).

Could anyone suggest the best universities from the list of SOPHAS? Also, I would specifically like to know about Arizona. How good is it?
    Also, which university would possibely grant me funding in spring?
    Can I avoid a GRE with my international degree qualification? I had given it once before (less than 5 yrs back) however the score was not great.
    It would be really great if I get some pointers to these questions.

Thank you.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. LeafsFan93

LeafsFan93 5+ Year Member

Feb 17, 2008
    You can't avoid the GRE
    No Clue about Arizona
    From SOPHAS, Emory, Harvard, Minnesota, Tulane are good. You can get a pretty good feel of how good the SPH will be from going through their website and looking through this forum. Search this forum; there are constant debates about which university is better. To a large extent, it depends on what you're looking for and how you will fit in. There is also a list of the US News and World Report 2008 rankings of SPH.
    Funding typically starts in the Fall.
  4. pbutter

pbutter 2+ Year Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Just bumping this thread to see if anyone have any more insights with regards to PhD Epidemiology.

If anyone has received admission or know of someone who did to PhD programs, if you could please post your qualifications that would be very helpful.

Thanks! :)
  5. cbrown800

cbrown800 2+ Year Member

Jul 5, 2008
    i wouldnt avoid the gre. a strong gre score will definitely help you get in. check out, as that explains the gre (and the preparation necessary for the exam) really clearly.

i would focus on the quantitative section, as youre applying to epi. columbia has a great epi program(unsure about phd level, but at mph level), and i think yale does too (yale's mph is heavy on the epi, unsure about ph program). im unsure about arizona. if the program is accredited, then it must maintain some minimum standard.

try calling arizona to find out minimum / average gre scores (although the website has some good references for average gre scores for admission)

hope this helps--best of luck!!!