PhD programs in Florida/the southern states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epak333

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am looking into PhD programs in Florida (or any of the southern states that have warm winters, I'm from NJ and want to get out of the cold for grad school). Just wondering if anyone can speak to/has experience with any Florida/southern PhD programs in clinical psych. Specifically looking for something that's not R1/extremely research focused and has more of a balance between clinical and research. I do have the Insider's Guide and have looked a little at programs but just wanted to hear if anyone has any personal experience with these schools. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A lot is going to depend on what your research/clinical interests are. Speaking broadly, there are plenty of great programs in the southeast: UF, FSU, Miami, USF, UGA, Emory, UAB (Birmingham), U of Alabama, Auburn, LSU, WVU, USC (South Carolina), UNC, and many others I'm leaving out.

Reactions: 4 users
A lot is going to depend on what your research/clinical interests are. Speaking broadly, there are plenty of great programs in the southeast: UF, FSU, Miami, USF, UGA, Emory, UAB (Birmingham), U of Alabama, Auburn, LSU, WVU, USC (South Carolina), UNC, and many others I'm leaving out.
From what I've seen, a lot of those are heavily research focused although I'm sure it depends on each faculty member within the program. I'll definitely check all of them out though! Mostly wanted to hear from anyone who applied to/attended one of those programs, or somehow has direct experience with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've seen, a lot of those are heavily research focused although I'm sure it depends on each faculty member within the program. I'll definitely check all of them out though! Mostly wanted to hear from anyone who applied to/attended one of those programs, or somehow has direct experience with them.

I've worked/trained with people from some of these. General impression was more clinically based from their points of view. I know at least one person on here who went to one of those for grad school.

If VA is southern enough for you, UVA, VCU, and Virginia Consortium are all good options. WVU has a balanced program. Georgia State is also good, but more research focused.

University of South Alabama is more balanced and it's definitely warm!

I get wanting to live somewhere different and/or warmer. Personally, though, I would advise being open and applying to places that are great fits, regardless of where they are, to maximize chances of acceptance to a fully funded program. Get this part over with, and get teh best training you can, which will allow you to easily find a job wherever you want when you are all done, rather than being too selective at this time and minimizing your chances and/or missing out on great training opportunities. I went with best training possible over location, and ended up livingin places that I never thought I would. Ended up being an awesome experience at a couple places, and I actually changed where I wanted to ultimately end up after getting to experience a few different locations and found out what I wanted and did not want in a place to settle down in long-term.

Reactions: 1 user
I went to one of the programs on the list. It tilted research heavy at the time, though varied by lab when I was there - its much more research heavy now as most of the faculty who took a more balanced approach were the older ones who retired.

Of the ones on AA's list I'd say Auburn, U Alabama, LSU, WVU and USC are all at least "somewhat" more balanced depending on mentor. I would add FIU and University of Arkansas to that list too. Lots of schools in Texas and west worth looking at too.

University of South Alabama is more balanced and it's definitely warm!
isnt that in mobile alabama? mobile is not a super nice area, I personally wouldnt want to live there. Greenville, unless im mistaken, is where USC is, and it is such a beautiful area (one of most desireable places to live in SE) UF is gainsville which is a pretty central location in florida, and its what I would call a "fine city". Very much college town feel. Tallahassee is ok if i remember (havent been back there in a good bit). Im pretty familiar with a lot of SE cities, but cant tell you about specific programs.

Mississippi State has a program as well. The faculty were really welcoming when I interviewed there.

isnt that in mobile alabama? mobile is not a super nice area, I personally wouldnt want to live there. Greenville, unless im mistaken, is where USC is, and it is such a beautiful area (one of most desireable places to live in SE) UF is gainsville which is a pretty central location in florida, and its what I would call a "fine city". Very much college town feel. Tallahassee is ok if i remember (havent been back there in a good bit). Im pretty familiar with a lot of SE cities, but cant tell you about specific programs.
USA is in Mobile, yes. The city itself has good and bad areas, although I know folks who live there and enjoy it. I've been there multiple times over the years, but wouldn't say I'm extensively familiar with it. It's close to lots of different coastal areas, which can be a plus if you like the beach. But if the location is very important, then I'd definitely recommend visiting to see how well it clicks.

Agreed that Gainesville very much has a college town feel. Tallahassee is probably college town meets state capital. If you're wanting a larger city feel, then USF is in Tampa, although I don't know how balanced the program is.

USA is in Mobile, yes. The city itself has good and bad areas, although I know folks who live there and enjoy it. I've been there multiple times over the years, but wouldn't say I'm extensively familiar with it. It's close to lots of different coastal areas, which can be a plus if you like the beach. But if the location is very important, then I'd definitely recommend visiting to see how well it clicks.

Agreed that Gainesville very much has a college town feel. Tallahassee is probably college town meets state capital. If you're wanting a larger city feel, then USF is in Tampa, although I don't know how balanced the program is.
i guess its more personal preference than anything, and what you're looking for.

Ive always liked tampa, though traffic can be very unfun to deal with. I agree about tallahassee too. Definitely tampa feels more like a large city, a lot to do/fairly nice but again, a lot more traffic.

I do personally like florida in general. I feel like you either hate living here or love it, but sunshine most days and no state tax, for me its a win. Depending on where you live, you can be unlucky with hurricanes as I was recently, but most cities can also go many years without a major/significant natural disaster.

Also -- FL is very humid for most of the year (think Feb to Nov) -- and in the summer it typically rains for at least 1 hour per day. Totally do-able, but def a different climate if you're coming from the northeast.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mississippi State has a program as well. The faculty were really welcoming when I interviewed there.
Southern Mississippi is also pretty balanced, although it's traditionally a four year program, so pretty intense.

I've worked/trained with people from some of these. General impression was more clinically based from their points of view. I know at least one person on here who went to one of those for grad school.
Thank you for sharing!

If VA is southern enough for you, UVA, VCU, and Virginia Consortium are all good options. WVU has a balanced program. Georgia State is also good, but more research focused.
UVA is definitely a great school, feel like it would be heavily research focused though. But I'll look into those, thanks!

I get wanting to live somewhere different and/or warmer. Personally, though, I would advise being open and applying to places that are great fits, regardless of where they are, to maximize chances of acceptance to a fully funded program. Get this part over with, and get teh best training you can, which will allow you to easily find a job wherever you want when you are all done, rather than being too selective at this time and minimizing your chances and/or missing out on great training opportunities. I went with best training possible over location, and ended up livingin places that I never thought I would. Ended up being an awesome experience at a couple places, and I actually changed where I wanted to ultimately end up after getting to experience a few different locations and found out what I wanted and did not want in a place to settle down in long-term.
Yes that's a good point, I just feel like if I'm miserable from being in the cold for most of the year I'm not going to enjoy my time in school as much if that makes sense? I know I would be happier somewhere warmer. Plus there's plenty of schools in the south for me to choose from! I mostly just don't want to live in the Northeast lol, but anywhere else I am happy to look into. What about applying for licensure? Do people generally apply in the state that they went to grad school? Is it easier that way or can you realistically get licensed anywhere?

I went to one of the programs on the list. It tilted research heavy at the time, though varied by lab when I was there - its much more research heavy now as most of the faculty who took a more balanced approach were the older ones who retired.

Of the ones on AA's list I'd say Auburn, U Alabama, LSU, WVU and USC are all at least "somewhat" more balanced depending on mentor. I would add FIU and University of Arkansas to that list too. Lots of schools in Texas and west worth looking at too.
FIU is one of the top ones on my list! I'll check those out, thanks! And yes I feel like a lot of schools will label themselves as extremely research oriented, but there are definitely less research focused labs/faculty members within those programs.

I'm happy to hear about location too! That's definitely a big part of it, not just the programs themselves. I've been in the Tampa/Sarasota region a few times and I looooove it, just wish there were more schools in that area. Not sure how I feel about Alabama although I'm sure there are nice parts. And USC is Colombia I believe.

Yes I'll definitely have to visit some of these schools before I make a decision. But thank you for all the info!

i guess its more personal preference than anything, and what you're looking for.

Ive always liked tampa, though traffic can be very unfun to deal with. I agree about tallahassee too. Definitely tampa feels more like a large city, a lot to do/fairly nice but again, a lot more traffic.

I do personally like florida in general. I feel like you either hate living here or love it, but sunshine most days and no state tax, for me its a win. Depending on where you live, you can be unlucky with hurricanes as I was recently, but most cities can also go many years without a major/significant natural disaster.
I absolutely love Tampa, I wish UTampa had a clin psych PhD program! And to me it's worth it after spending my whole life with freezing winters.

Also -- FL is very humid for most of the year (think Feb to Nov) -- and in the summer it typically rains for at least 1 hour per day. Totally do-able, but def a different climate if you're coming from the northeast.
Haha I know it's a big change. I have been to Florida in the heat of the summer and although it's pretty humid and rainy a lot of the time, I'd rather deal with that and not be freezing in the winter than have to deal with the cold up north. I just find that I'm generally happier and more productive when it's sunny/warm, and for grad school I'm going to need to be as productive as possible lol

Haha I know it's a big change. I have been to Florida in the heat of the summer and although it's pretty humid and rainy a lot of the time, I'd rather deal with that and not be freezing in the winter than have to deal with the cold up north. I just find that I'm generally happier and more productive when it's sunny/warm, and for grad school I'm going to need to be as productive as possible lol
I went from the midwest to a school in FL, so I feel you!

Yes that's a good point, I just feel like if I'm miserable from being in the cold for most of the year I'm not going to enjoy my time in school as much if that makes sense? I know I would be happier somewhere warmer. Plus there's plenty of schools in the south for me to choose from! I mostly just don't want to live in the Northeast lol, but anywhere else I am happy to look into. What about applying for licensure? Do people generally apply in the state that they went to grad school? Is it easier that way or can you realistically get licensed anywhere?

Not a single one of my cohort from the grad program was from the state that the program was in, and not a single one is still there. I believe that all but one of us are in states that we neither grew up nor went to school in. As long as you meet the requirements, you can get licensed anywhere.

UVA is definitely a great school, feel like it would be heavily research focused though. But I'll look into those, thanks!

Of the schools I mentioned, UVA is definitely the most research oriented.

Not a single one of my cohort from the grad program was from the state that the program was in, and not a single one is still there. I believe that all but one of us are in states that we neither grew up nor went to school in. As long as you meet the requirements, you can get licensed anywhere.

Agreed. If anything, people tend to first get licensed where they do internship/post-doc, not where they go to grad school.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay, that's super helpful to know!

Agreed. If anything, people tend to first get licensed where they do internship/post-doc, not where they go to grad school.
So are you able to complete your internship/post-doc anywhere, so long as it's APA accredited? Do you know if there are any opportunities to complete these abroad?

Generally speaking, there is an expectation you will be moving around in graduate school.

In my graduate program (in FL), 2 out of 7 folks on the list were from FL and that was an unusually high number. Most cohorts had zero. Every year usually had 1-2 people who stayed for internship (often those with families trying to avoid a move). Some portion of those than moved afterwards. A lot of folks who left for internship/post-doc then came back to FL at some point later on.

You generally can't go abroad for these things because of licensure requirements, but the norm is to move around the country. There's nothing requiring it, but its very common. It can create some minor issues as exact licensure requirements differ between states. This should matter somewhat less if you are clinically-focused as you will likely have "enough" hours regardless - myself and some others who are research-focused occasionally run into issues because we got "enough" hours to get licensed in our post-doc state, but then moved to a state with higher requirements for faculty roles and just lacked the time/bandwidth/desire to get licensed here since our jobs normally don't require it.

Reactions: 2 users
Generally speaking, there is an expectation you will be moving around in graduate school.

In my graduate program (in FL), 2 out of 7 folks on the list were from FL and that was an unusually high number. Most cohorts had zero. Every year usually had 1-2 people who stayed for internship (often those with families trying to avoid a move). Some portion of those than moved afterwards. A lot of folks who left for internship/post-doc then came back to FL at some point later on.

You generally can't go abroad for these things because of licensure requirements, but the norm is to move around the country. There's nothing requiring it, but its very common. It can create some minor issues as exact licensure requirements differ between states. This should matter somewhat less if you are clinically-focused as you will likely have "enough" hours regardless - myself and some others who are research-focused occasionally run into issues because we got "enough" hours to get licensed in our post-doc state, but then moved to a state with higher requirements for faculty roles and just lacked the time/bandwidth/desire to get licensed here since our jobs normally don't require it.
Ah okay makes sense, I'm definitely okay with moving around the US! Just wasn't exactly sure what the licensure requirement are, I know they vary state to state. And I do plan to be more clinically-focused! I also know some states allow you to get licensed in another state as well (or the licensure is generally the same for those two states, idk could be wrong). Like I know a lot of psychologists are licensed in both NJ and FL.

I don't know of any states that have geographic restrictions on training requirements, nor do I know of any states that would prevent you from getting licensed in other states (they don't really have the authority to do so). Licensure requirements are primarily based on the type and amount of training (e.g., was your graduate program APA-accredited, was your internship APA-accredited, did you complete X number of pre-graduation clinical hours, did you complete Y number of post-graduate supervised clinical hours over one or two years, etc.). Most psychologists I know are licensed in multiple states.

Like Ollie and others have said, it's the norm to move a few times during graduate training (i.e., for graduate school, again for internship, and possibly again for fellowship). The internship application process is more structured even than applying for graduate school, and you don't directly pick where you end up. Rather, you submit a rank order list of programs to which you've applied, each program submits its own rank order list of applicants, and a computer algorithm finds the best match between all the various applicants' and programs' lists in one go (i.e., all on the same date). Fellowship applications, if you decide to complete one, are generally less structured, especially outside of neuropsychology; they just try to adhere to a uniform notification date.

Did you enjoy it? Or was the heat awful?
I loved it -- I am a summer / beach person vs. a winter / snow person. I always knew I wanted to live in FL for a period of time so grad school was perfect. Heat / humidity do suck but (most) everything is air-conditioned in the south and you can't beat having a beach within close driving distance.

I'd add that although it can be rough, the humidity in (most of) FL and GA generally doesn't hold a candle to the humidity in Louisiana and parts of Texas. But yes, pretty much everything is air conditioned in the south, and if your A/C breaks (e.g., at an apartment), it's quite literally considered an emergency.

I don't know of any states that have geographic restrictions on training requirements, nor do I know of any states that would prevent you from getting licensed in other states (they don't really have the authority to do so). Licensure requirements are primarily based on the type and amount of training (e.g., was your graduate program APA-accredited, was your internship APA-accredited, did you complete X number of pre-graduation clinical hours, did you complete Y number of post-graduate supervised clinical hours over one or two years, etc.). Most psychologists I know are licensed in multiple states.

Like Ollie and others have said, it's the norm to move a few times during graduate training (i.e., for graduate school, again for internship, and possibly again for fellowship). The internship application process is more structured even than applying for graduate school, and you don't directly pick where you end up. Rather, you submit a rank order list of programs to which you've applied, each program submits its own rank order list of applicants, and a computer algorithm finds the best match between all the various applicants' and programs' lists in one go (i.e., all on the same date). Fellowship applications, if you decide to complete one, are generally less structured, especially outside of neuropsychology; they just try to adhere to a uniform notification date.
It sounds like it's kind of a similar structure to med school in that sense, you aren't geographically restricted. That's definitely a plus!

I loved it -- I am a summer / beach person vs. a winter / snow person. I always knew I wanted to live in FL for a period of time so grad school was perfect. Heat / humidity do suck but (most) everything is air-conditioned in the south and you can't beat having a beach within close driving distance.
You sound just like me lol! But I'm happy you enjoyed it :) I feel like grad school is the perfect opportunity to live somewhere very different from where you're from, especially since you'll only be there 5 ish years.

I'd add that although it can be rough, the humidity in (most of) FL and GA generally doesn't hold a candle to the humidity in Louisiana and parts of Texas. But yes, pretty much everything is air conditioned in the south, and if your A/C breaks (e.g., at an apartment), it's quite literally considered an emergency.
Yes I've heard Louisiana is awful, trying to avoid there for sure. NJ gets pretty humid at times too, it's the dry heat that sucks too. Nowhere is going to have perfect weather year round though.

Yes I've heard Louisiana is awful, trying to avoid there for sure. NJ gets pretty humid at times too, it's the dry heat that sucks too. Nowhere is going to have perfect weather year round though.
To compensate, Louisiana does have drive-thru daiquiri stands...

Reactions: 2 users
To compensate, Louisiana does have drive-thru daiquiri stands...

I thought that was only in the French Quarter? It has been a while since I visited. I do miss New Orleans though, need to go back there at some point for some good Cajun food and Cafe du Monde.

I thought that was only in the French Quarter? It has been a while since I visited. I do miss New Orleans though, need to go back there at some point for some good Cajun food and Cafe du Monde.
Nope, they have them elsewhere. Or at least they did the last time I was there.

Nope, they have them elsewhere. Or at least they did the last time I was there.

A tip for all the travelers: If you have too many daquiris and happen to be in the French Quarter, head to the Verti Marte on Royal St for a great sandwich.

Reactions: 1 users
Vanderbilt has a good clinical science program and a decent connection to the med school on campus. It is very research heavy. I don't know if he is still there but Steve Hollon, one of the giants of CBT research, teaches there. Nashville is a lot of fun and weather is typically nice throughout the year. UT in knoxville is also a decent program and has great access to the Smoky Mtns.

Vanderbilt has a good clinical science program and a decent connection to the med school on campus. It is very research heavy. I don't know if he is still there but Steve Hollon, one of the giants of CBT research, teaches there. Nashville is a lot of fun and weather is typically nice throughout the year. UT in knoxville is also a decent program and has great access to the Smoky Mtns.
Thank you! I'm probably going to stay away from the ones that are extremely research heavy (and have lower acceptance rates) just to give myself a better shot at getting in lol! But I'll look into UT for sure!