Books2ReadMe

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2010
Auburn, Alabama
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello, everyone.

My GPA is a 3.57, and I'm currently a 4th year PhD student at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. I wanted to apply to medical school during the upcoming cycle (2021-2022), but I was unable to secure more shadowing and clinical experiences in 2020 due to COVID-19 (a familiar story). I plan on shadowing for about 100-150 hours this year on top of scribing. I will take my MCAT in June or September 2021.

I will apply to at least 20 schools, including Harvard, UCSF, NYU and Stanford. Does anyone have suggestions that would improve my application aside from a high MCAT score?

URM: Black (African American)
State of Residence: Alabama

Stats
3.57 cGPA
3.48 sGPA
MCAT (have not taken)

Degrees
Biomedical sciences, BS
Spanish, BA

Clinical Shadowing
Surgical Oncology - 15 hours

Volunteering (Non-clinical)
Regional Food Bank - Spanish interpreter and food distributor (50 hours)
Spanish Translator for Immigration Court proceedings (15 hours)
COVID-19 Safety Ambassador (25 hours)

Volunteering (Clinical)
Cancer Center Infusion - bedside assistance (50 hours)

Mentorship
Hopkins PREP Peer Mentor - 2 years
Laboratory training of high school and undergraduate students - 60 hours

Publications (2010-2020)
9 publications (mostly in ACS journals)
- 1 first-author paper (expecting at least 1 or 2 more first-author paper before graduating in 2022)
- 2 second-author papers (2 additional manuscripts in preparation)
- 6 third/fourth-author papers

Presentations/Posters (2008-2020)
9 first-author presentations
- 8 poster presentations
- 1 oral presentation at an international research conference (2017)

Awards
Dean’s Research Award for Undergraduates (2010-2011)
Undergraduate Research Fellowship (2011-2012)
US Fulbright Scholars Program (Research), Spain (2013-2014)
STM/ICHO New Investigators Award (2017)

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 user

Banco

5+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
You should probably remove your named CV from this site and use some more anonymized information. And yes, for the caliber of schools you are trying to aim for you need an excellent MCAT (518+).

Reactions: 1 users

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
September 2021 MCAT is too late for the 2021-2022 MD application cycle.

About the Ads

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
You only need 50 hours of shadowing as long as you have some hours with a primary care doc. When will you start the scribing? From what you shared you have no clinical experiences at all. You also need more nonclinical volunteering serving the unserved/underserved in your community. Maybe pick one of the groups you have already worked with and expand your hours. it’s good to show longevity with an activity. Pick something you are passionate about so you can talk about it on your applications and in your interviews.
What URM group do you represent? How is your Spanish fluency? What is your state of residency?

• Care

Banco

5+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Your research experience is obviously excellent, and the big research schools will like that; also your Fulbright will catch many eyes. Apart from MCAT, try to develop a good story for the switch. That'll involve having good clinical experience.

I think your cancer center experience is clinical, no? I would try to get some more as well as some shadowing to really beef it up so there is no doubt that you really want to go for the MD because of the patients.

• Care

Books2ReadMe

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2010
Auburn, Alabama
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Your research experience is obviously excellent, and the big research schools will like that; also your Fulbright will catch many eyes. Apart from MCAT, try to develop a good story for the switch. That'll involve having good clinical experience.

I think your cancer center experience is clinical, no? I would try to get some more as well as some shadowing to really beef it up so there is no doubt that you really want to go for the MD because of the patients.
Lovely advice, thank you, Banco. For the Cancer Center volunteering, I mainly gave patients blankets and helped with bedside bedside care. I didn't check vitals or anything like that.

Books2ReadMe

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2010
Auburn, Alabama
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You only need 50 hours of shadowing as long as you have some hours with a primary care doc. When will you start the scribing? From what you shared you have no clinical experiences at all. You also need more nonclinical volunteering serving the unserved/underserved in your community. Maybe pick one of the groups you have already worked with and expand your hours. it’s good to show longevity with an activity. Pick something you are passionate about so you can talk about it on your applications and in your interviews.
What URM group do you represent? How is your Spanish fluency? What is your state of residency?
I'm a Black (African American) male from Alabama. I'm fluent in Spanish. I will start scribing in March 2021 for at least 6 months. This is why I feel more comfortable applying in 2022. My application will definitely be lopsided without a strong, unifying experience to bridge my scientific and clinical interests, so I'm trying to find opportunities that will demonstrate leadership and community involvement as well.

• Hmm

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
Lovely advice, thank you, Banco. For the Cancer Center volunteering, I mainly gave patients blankets and helped with bedside bedside care. I didn't check vitals or anything like that.
From the way you describe it, I think it’s clinical experience. You are face to face with a patient. And that’s what is important. Taking vitals isn’t important. You are a volunteer not a NA so you probably shouldn’t be taking vitals. If you like working with cancer patients good for you. These patients need compassion and a friendly face.
And when you apply don’t forget to talk about your Spanish skills. These are skills very much needed. Good Luck.

Reactions: 2 users

Banco

5+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
That’s still clinical.

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hello, everyone.

My GPA is a 3.57, and I'm currently a 4th year PhD student at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. I wanted to apply to medical school during the upcoming cycle (2021-2022), but I was unable to secure more shadowing and clinical experiences in 2020 due to COVID-19 (a familiar story). I plan on shadowing for about 100-150 hours this year on top of scribing. I will take my MCAT in June or September 2021.

I will apply to at least 20 schools, including Harvard, UCSF, NYU and Stanford. Does anyone have suggestions that would improve my application aside from a high MCAT score?

URM: Black (African American)
State of Residence: Alabama

Stats
3.51 cGPA
3.48 sGPA
MCAT (have not taken)

Degrees
Biomedical sciences, BS
Spanish, BA

Clinical Shadowing
Surgical Oncology - 15 hours

Volunteering (Non-clinical)
Regional Food Bank - Spanish interpreter and food distributor (50 hours)
Spanish Translator for Immigration Court proceedings (15 hours)
COVID-19 Safety Ambassador (25 hours)

Volunteering (Clinical)
Cancer Center Infusion - bedside assistance (50 hours)

Mentorship
Hopkins PREP Peer Mentor - 2 years
Laboratory training of high school and undergraduate students - 60 hours

Publications (2010-2020)
9 publications (mostly in ACS journals)
- 1 first-author paper (expecting at least 1 or 2 more first-author paper before graduating in 2022)
- 2 second-author papers (2 additional manuscripts in preparation)
- 6 third/fourth-author papers

Presentations/Posters (2008-2020)
9 first-author presentations
- 8 poster presentations
- 1 oral presentation at an international research conference (2017)

Awards
Dean’s Research Award for Undergraduates (2010-2011)
Undergraduate Research Fellowship (2011-2012)
US Fulbright Scholars Program (Research), Spain (2013-2014)
STM/ICHO New Investigators Award (2017)
come back when you have an MCAT score and then we can advise. Otherwise, your plans are sound, and your application looks good

BlackMathMajor

2+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Your volunteering is very low, borderline lethal. Get another couple hundred hours each of clinical and nonclinical volunteering. To check the box...you need 150 hours of clinical and nonclinical volunteering. If your MCAT is strong, and especially if you have an upward trend...you can get away with box checking, in your case. But you need to check the box. Good luck.

About the Ads

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Don't apply until you get those clinical hours AND non-clinical volunteering experiences (food pantries, Habitat for Humanity) for 150 hours or so. Take your time with the MCAT until you know that medicine is for you. The grass is not always greener...

Expand your choices. You are no shoo-in to go to a brand name medical school. Be smart about your finances and pick the best one for your situation, not the brand name. Ask your schools how they will view your application and whether they will only consider your undergraduate GPA for priority screen determination or the entirety of your GPA. Because you have a graduate degree where I would expect you to always have a GPA above 3.0 (3.5) in your grad courses, I may not be putting as much weight in your doctoral transcripts, even if they came from a brand name med school.

Books2ReadMe

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2010
Auburn, Alabama
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Don't apply until you get those clinical hours AND non-clinical volunteering experiences (food pantries, Habitat for Humanity) for 150 hours or so. Take your time with the MCAT until you know that medicine is for you. The grass is not always greener...

Expand your choices. You are no shoo-in to go to a brand name medical school. Be smart about your finances and pick the best one for your situation, not the brand name. Ask your schools how they will view your application and whether they will only consider your undergraduate GPA for priority screen determination or the entirety of your GPA. Because you have a graduate degree where I would expect you to always have a GPA above 3.0 (3.5) in your grad courses, I may not be putting as much weight in your doctoral transcripts, even if they came from a brand name med school.
Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely going to meet the 150 clinical and non-clinical hours.

• Care
D

deleted1087639

I would come back with MCAT or at least practice scores. GPA is a little on the lower end, but I guess URM may make up for it partially. MCAT would make up for it further.

Awards are a little dated, I would be concerned about up to date activities and awards, especially because more recent awards can be spoken about more eloquently. Volunteer some more, get off of SDN bro. Finish your PhD. Get some more first authors and awards. One is achievable my an undergrad. Multiple should be easier for PhD candidates.

Are you ok?

• Dislike

Books2ReadMe

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2010
Auburn, Alabama
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I would come back with MCAT or at least practice scores. GPA is a little on the lower end, but I guess URM may make up for it partially. MCAT would make up for it further.

Awards are a little dated, I would be concerned about up to date activities and awards, especially because more recent awards can be spoken about more eloquently. Volunteer some more, get off of SDN bro. Finish your PhD. Get some more first authors and awards.
Sure. Thanks for your advice!

About the Ads

Books2ReadMe

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2010
Auburn, Alabama
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
10 years sure is a long time here, isn't it.
I'm mostly concerned about how predatory you're being - as if something is wrong. At least make yourself useful instead of leaving weird reactions just to have some passive aggressive presence online. Your behavior is odd.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users

Books2ReadMe

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2010
Auburn, Alabama
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

Awards are a little dated, I would be concerned about up to date activities and awards, especially because more recent awards can be spoken about more eloquently. Volunteer some more, get off of SDN bro. Finish your PhD. Get some more first authors and awards. One is achievable my an undergrad. Multiple should be easier for PhD candidates.

Are you ok?

Are you ok?
Why are you trolling me? You are putting too much effort into saying things like "multiple should be easier for a PhD candidate" - lol, sour and disgusting.

FalconSlice

7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2012
Intersection of CutCo, EdgeCom and InterSlice
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Back in middle school for who? You're just being inflammatory at this point. Save all of your personal attacks for direct messaging. You are lowering the bar 🙄 give realistic feedback.
It's really not funny @pusheencat123 . Grow up and find some business. Weird to say the least.
Forget it... some people never grow up.

Regarding your actual issue, I just wanted to give you all the good vibes and luck for your journey! Please keep us updated! From one PhD to another!

• Care

Books2ReadMe

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2010
Auburn, Alabama
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Forget it... some people never grow up.

Regarding your actual issue, I just wanted to give you all the good vibes and luck for your journey! Please keep us updated! From one PhD to another!
That was the weirdest exchange from a complete stranger I've ever experienced - dialogue of a random YouTube troll. Don't take your pain out on me. Start a productive discussion or get lost, @pusheencat123 . 😳

Books2ReadMe

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2010
Auburn, Alabama
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Bit embarrassing to be chitchatting with applicants of this cycle

likewise! :)
That makes no sense. What difference does it make anyway? It's not like I'm competing with them. You have nothing to add to this discussion - nothing of substance at least.

You don't respect yourself enough to not degrade a thread by criticizing my age (of all things). Are you actually OK?

Orims

7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
My only concerns would be the low cGPA and sGPA, however this can be somewhat overcome with a great MCAT, and few hours in clinical volunteering (understandable given COVID, but I would increase them as soon as it is safe to do so). I too went the PhD to MD route and I think for us one of the most important things is to have a good narrative and experiences that support it. Personal statements and letters of recommendation are key.

• Care

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads