PhD To MD // Possible Paths? Where do I start? Your advice and helpful comments are appreciated.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Micro_Runner

Reaction score
Can you help?

I know you probably do not want to read my life story, but I want to give you a little info about me. I appreciate any- and everyone who decides to read and respond.
  • 28 years old
  • B.S. in Microbio in 2012 w/ 3.82 cGPA from top 10 public uni
  • Ph.D in Nutrition in 2017 w/ 3.64 GPA from top 10 public uni
  • Certificate in Clinical and Translational Sciences in 2017 from top 10 public uni
  • Major clinical and basic science research experience
  • Interests: translational science, big data, precision medicine
  • Spent the last 1.5 years pursuing a non-health related business. It's successful, but not where my heart is.

My story

During the summer before college, I interviewed for and was accepted to a research lab. At the time, I did not know it, but I would go on to spend my entire undergraduate career as part of that research lab (all summers included). It was a highly interdisciplinary experience. Clinical and basic science. I gained professional skills, held top positions in the research lab's undergraduate organization, and went to international conferences. It was transformative for me. I entered college thinking I wanted to be a Doctor and as if that were the only thing I wanted to do. Turns out I ended up creating other opportunities for myself.

Doing research as an undergraduate helped me learn that I loved the discovery aspect of research medicine. I sought advice from my mentor / PI and she gave me lots of valuable info. I decided to temporarily forgo the MD route for PhD. It was an intensely creative, challenging, and unforgettable experience. I helped conduct a clinical trial, saw patients, interacted with various HCP, and also did animal studies. Doing the PhD became a no brainer - I had the opportunity to involve myself in cutting edge research and I did not want to miss that chance.

From that experience I learned many things. I also got burnt out.

Long story short, at the tail-end of my PhD, I decided to take a "break." I started working in real estate and was able to pay for the tail end of my schooling, and ultimately that venture became successful. I have been doing this for about 1.5 years since my graduation. During this break, my partner was able to start a career and start a PhD program. We have also had many personal accomplishments together including getting married. Working for myself has been very interesting and rewarding, but it is not fulfilling in the way that my research and clinical experiences were.

The thrill and enjoyment I get from science and medicine has not left me and I want to bring it back into my life. I have considered other health care professions, but I have landed on pursuing a career as an MD as my objective. I have several questions. I'm not even sure if these are the right questions, but I would appreciate answers/feedback and suggestions for other things to be thinking about.
  • Do I reach out to my previous mentor to ask if unfinished manuscripts can be taken on and completed?
  • Do I put health care related volunteer experience on my plate right now?
  • What timeline should I have?
  • Should I try to start studying for the MCAT now, with the objective of applying during the next application cycle? I know that I am going to need to devote a solid amount of time to content and practice.
  • I want to carefully plan this process, but I do not want to waste time. If I miss this upcoming application cycle, will the gap between my education and the subsequent cycle be too much?
  • I am concerned about LOR (I can ask my mentor/PI, and a peer/colleague who is practicing as a HCP now, who else should I be thinking of?)
Here's more about me
  • Year in school - not in school; currently self-employed
  • Country/state of residence - FL
  • Schools - FL schools, NE schools (not totally decided). My family is on the East coast and my partner has 2 years before completing his program. I would need to stay on the East coast in terms of schools.
  • Cumulative GPA - 3.82 (undergrad); 3.64 (grad school)
  • Science GPA - I would need to calculate....
  • MCAT Scores - have not taken yet
  • Research – as undergrad (several abstracts; 1 first auth pub); as grad student (over 10+ abstracts, grants, several draft publications). International conferences as undergrad and grad student to present work. I worked/volunteered in a research lab for all 4 years of my undergraduate degree (ultimately that is what led me to pursue a PhD).
  • Volunteering (clinical) – My research degree involved being part of a clinical trial, so I have much to offer/discuss here.
  • Physician shadowing – I have worked mainly with neurologists, dieticians - not shadowing per se, but my research experience lent itself towards much involvement with physicians. During undergrad I volunteered in the hospital.
  • Non-clinical volunteering - In my undergrad, I volunteered with several political organizations
  • Extracurricular activities - Running; I started a running group for LGBT+ youth in my hometown three years ago
  • Employment history - I partially supported myself through college as a Resident Assistant; I started my own business in 2016, and have worked in that business since starting it
  • Immediate family members in medicine? No
  • Specialty of interest - neurology, pediatrics, neonatology
  • Graduate degrees - Yes; I completed basic science and clinical research; used animal models to understand neonatal development; grew a data science branch of the lab; saw patients in clinic as part of the clinical trial being conducted; wrote patient summaries for physician review; received awards as graduate student, earned grants, wrote abstracts, and have drafted manuscripts
  • Interest in rural health (y/n) - possibly, but probably not

Members don't see this ad.

Grades are good, if you haven’t taken all the prereqs yet go to a local undergrad and start taking them.

After you take all the prereqs take an mcat assesment and if your score is in the right range take your mcat

Then apply

• Do I reach out to my previous mentor to ask if unfinished manuscripts can be taken on and completed?
  • Do I put health care related volunteer experience on my plate right now?
  • What timeline should I have?
  • Should I try to start studying for the MCAT now, with the objective of applying during the next application cycle? I know that I am going to need to devote a solid amount of time to content and practice.
  • I want to carefully plan this process, but I do not want to waste time. If I miss this upcoming application cycle, will the gap between my education and the subsequent cycle be too much?
  • I am concerned about LOR (I can ask my mentor/PI, and a peer/colleague who is practicing as a HCP now, who else should I be thinking of?)
How many publications do you have? If you already have a few, top schools show you tons of love. The more the better of course.
LORs from your mentor/other scientists are good.
You probably have all the prereqs? You should be ready for application within 1-2 years. Gap year will not be an issue.
As long as you get an OK MCAT, your chance at top medical schools is pretty good.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How many publications do you have? If you already have a few, top schools show you tons of love. The more the better of course.
LORs from your mentor/other scientists are good.
You probably have all the prereqs? You should be ready for application within 1-2 years. Gap year will not be an issue.
As long as you get an OK MCAT, your chance at top medical schools is pretty good.

One pub, several in draft/revision form needing work prior to being submitted.
I have all prereqs, so I believe I am good here.
About to work on a plan for MCAT studying. Definitely needing to brush up on several areas.

TY for your feedback.

I'm a PhD-to-MD from Florida. You should reach out to one or more of the Florida state schools for application counseling, and yes, you absolutely should start volunteering in a clinical setting ASAP. I mean like in an ER or a nursing home sort of setting. You don't get a free pass on the usual premed prereqs for having a PhD, especially from our state schools. Not to mention that YOU need that kind of experience so that you can get some sense as to whether you even like dealing with patients. Clinical training and practice is very different than graduate training and research. One of the biggest shocks to me coming from a physical science (I was a chemist before medical school) is how blatantly unscientific so much of medicine is, lip service to evidence-based medicine aside.

I'm a PhD-to-MD from Florida. You should reach out to one or more of the Florida state schools for application counseling, and yes, you absolutely should start volunteering in a clinical setting ASAP. I mean like in an ER or a nursing home sort of setting. You don't get a free pass on the usual premed prereqs for having a PhD, especially from our state schools. Not to mention that YOU need that kind of experience so that you can get some sense as to whether you even like dealing with patients. Clinical training and practice is very different than graduate training and research. One of the biggest shocks to me coming from a physical science (I was a chemist before medical school) is how blatantly unscientific so much of medicine is, lip service to evidence-based medicine aside.
Thank you for the helpful response. Is application counseling a service that is routinely offered directly by COM staff? I haven't seen much in the way of direct guidance online on how to receive counseling. Is it a situation where a simple call to the office will get me started? I agree with you that I need application counseling, but an not sure how to receive it. Should I be expecting some feedback on my app and/or ways to improve it or simply a "refresh" from "the source" on app requirements? Just trying to calibrate my expectations to what I will actually receive.

And thank you for the advice on getting recent clinical exposure. I agree that I need to work on this aspect of my app.

Thank you for the helpful response. Is application counseling a service that is routinely offered directly by COM staff? I haven't seen much in the way of direct guidance online on how to receive counseling. Is it a situation where a simple call to the office will get me started? I agree with you that I need application counseling, but an not sure how to receive it. Should I be expecting some feedback on my app and/or ways to improve it or simply a "refresh" from "the source" on app requirements? Just trying to calibrate my expectations to what I will actually receive.

And thank you for the advice on getting recent clinical exposure. I agree that I need to work on this aspect of my app.

You can reach out to your undergraduate or graduate institutions as well; I did my app counseling thru my undergrad even though I had graduated 8 years prior. Not all will be open to this, but many likely will (especially if you get in touch with the actual faculty who does this rather than the secretary who might just say “no alumni”). Good luck, your experience looks great.

Can you help?

I know you probably do not want to read my life story, but I want to give you a little info about me. I appreciate any- and everyone who decides to read and respond.
  • 28 years old
  • B.S. in Microbio in 2012 w/ 3.82 cGPA from top 10 public uni
  • Ph.D in Nutrition in 2017 w/ 3.64 GPA from top 10 public uni ...

Since you're a PhD wanting to get an MD, there are at least a couple official programs and some other possibilities you may want to check out.
  • Columbia's 3-year PhD-to-MD program
  • Vanderbilt's Medical Innovators Development Program
From a historic perspective, both Miami (2 years) and Tulane (3.5 years) used to have similar programs, but they stopped offering them years ago.

Additionally, I've heard stories that Duke will allow some science-heavy PhDs to complete the MD program in 3 years by skipping their research year. There may be other schools that are open to this possibility too.