PhD to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kerouac170

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year PhD student at Washington University. I was strongly debating going to medical school right away, but I have a desire for research and I was misinformed as an undergrad that I needed a phd to be an effective researcher (I would like to do clinical research, also seeing patients).The program in which I am currently enrolled is through the medical school and thus, we have access to certain classes for med students (ex. neuroanatomy). Would these classes transfer to any US medical schools upon matriculation? I considered just stopping short in my phd education to start medical school but I have yet to take the MCAT (I plan on taking it this summer) and by the time I took it and applied to medical schools, I would theoretically only have about 2-3 years left for my PhD work, so I decided I would just be patient. If you have any advice, in general or on any particular medical schools that I might look into which transfer credits relatively "easily", I would be very grateful.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools allow Ph.D. students to switch into the masters program. This would be a faster route and you'd still get a degree from it.

I just read in another column about Duke's three-year program. I definitely plan on checking into this. Have any of you heard of other schools within the US doing something similiar?