1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

PhD vs DSc

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MacGyver, Feb 9, 2002.

1. MacGyver

MacGyver Membership Revoked
    Removed

One of hte programs I'm looking at is WashU for MD/PhD.

I want to do bioengineering. I was looking at their website and they give out something called a DSc (Doctor of Sciences?) degree instead of a PhD.

Are these degrees equivalent or would the Dsc be looked down on or be treated differently than a PhD?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    One of the professors at my school is a DsC. Shes still called "dr." and treated just like a PhD, there is no difference.

4. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I go to washu in bioengineering department (you have any specifics questions on the program, pm me). lot of our profs our DSc. to the best of my knowledge there's now difference

sonya

5. warpath

warpath Officer Cadet
    7+ Year Member

Its funny you should be worried about a DSc being looked down upon. A DSc is actually higher than a PhD. It seems few schools offer DSc in the States. Here's what I found at the University of Western Australia website:

Doctor of Science

The degree of Doctor of Science (DSc) is of a higher standing than either the master's degree or the degree of Doctor of Philosophy and may be awarded by the Faculty for independent and original work. A qualifying period of ten years after completion of a first degree is required. Graduates of other universities may, under special conditions, submit work for the degree - see General Regulations 56 to 63 in the Interfaculty Handbook.

6. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I'm moving this to the "Everyone" forum, where it seems more appropriate.