PhD vs MD/PhD and likelihood of getting off waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyxassassin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the cycle winds down, I got into a pretty well ranked neuro PhD and a lower ranked MD/PhD. Their focus is cancer/immuno and there are few labs in neuro, though there are still some interesting things going on. I really want to continue in research but I also want to practice. I am leaning on the MD/PhD already and wondering if anyone can chime in on the path toward academic medicine/research from a lower ranked MD/PhD. Also, im on 3 wait/alternate lists and wondering if anyone is familiar with the likelihood of getting off of high hold at SBU and the waitlist at NYU.

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlists will really move after second look, I would stick with MD/PhD but don't commit until you absolutely have to

I am leaning on the MD/PhD already and wondering if anyone can chime in on the path toward academic medicine/research from a lower ranked MD/PhD.

What makes you think the path towards a career is any different because of the program's US News ranking? If you want to be an MD/PhD, you have the opportunity to be one. I don't understand your question.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a very stupid question, you are right. I guess my only question is the one about wait lists.

If you weren't willing to go to a "lower ranked" program, why did you bother applying to it?

I am sorry if I came off that way but I am more than willing to go the mdphd, I'm quite excited to. I guess my question is how important is your PhD topic compared to your eventual research focus? And I was also just curious about how do the wait lists go down for mdphd. I am very happy and feel fortunate to even have to have a choice, sorry again to seem like a proud jerk.

It helps more if your research is in the area that you want to do residency