PhDs are underappreciated in my opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

ordinaryguy

I feel that PhDs are underappreciated because many take more than 4 (e.g. 8) years to get their PhDs, have to do years of post-docs, and sometimes are not respected for their work at companies despite their ingenuity and stress. Do any of you agree with my views?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on where you work. In hospitals, MDs or DOs tend to be at the top of the heap in terms of prestige and respect. In colleges and universities, PhDs tend to be at the top of the heap. Of course, this varies from place to place.

The academic market is saturated with PhD's looking for jobs, so they probably don't get paid as much as they should (even though most do get their school years paid for plus a stipend). Society tends to respect high paying professions because everybody would like to be in a high paying position. I think that doctors in other countries who don't make a lot are the exception to this rule though, since most people have a lot of respect for people they think can save their lives.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do agree that there are too many Ph. Ds. But it still amazes me the lack of respect for these people in the industry despite their amount of creativity and ingenuity.

LOOK AT THE BASEBALL PLAYERS-TELL ME THESE GUYS WITH AN IQ OF ---7 GET 100MILLION FOR 6 YEAR CONTRACTS WHEN THEY ARE NOT IN JAIL