Phentermine and HPSP/Mil

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Library Hobbit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found this site and have a question that I can't find an answer to. My pcp has suggested that I would benefit from an amphetamine anorexicant like phentermine. I definitely have a lot of weight to lose and this seems like a viable option for me.

My question is, I am on HPSP. Can I taken phentermine (just for a few months, no longer than necessary) and not get in trouble with the Army? What about BOLC or ADT? If I popped positive for amphetamines, but had a valid script, would I be okay?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I just found this site and have a question that I can't find an answer to. My pcp has suggested that I would benefit from an amphetamine anorexicant like phentermine. I definitely have a lot of weight to lose and this seems like a viable option for me.

My question is, I am on HPSP. Can I taken phentermine (just for a few months, no longer than necessary) and not get in trouble with the Army? What about BOLC or ADT? If I popped positive for amphetamines, but had a valid script, would I be okay?

Thanks.

I know for the Navy (and would bet it's actually a DOD instruction) that the use of medications for weight loss is not authorized.

I know for the Navy (and would bet it's actually a DOD instruction) that the use of medications for weight loss is not authorized.

The Air Force isn't terribly keen on it either.

To the OP: from an overall health perspective, you're much better off working with a nutritionist and a personal trainer. The weight-loss drugs have a significant rebound effect once you go off them. Plus there is always a good chance that the medication that you tried shows up on the 1-800-BAD-DRUG commercials. Remember Fen-Phen?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.

The Army is going to appreciate the fact you have a prescription then there will be a million questions: Who prescribed it? Why are you taking it? Are you abusing it? Are you fit for duty? Are you deployable while taking the medication? Why didn't you report a change in health to the HPSP program?

The Army is going to appreciate the fact you have a prescription then there will be a million questions: Who prescribed it? Why are you taking it? Are you abusing it? Are you fit for duty? Are you deployable while taking the medication? Why didn't you report a change in health to the HPSP program?

Thank you for the responses. IgD, to your questions: I'm still in school, I would be seeing the student health physician (I'm not on tricare and am in a civilian insurance structure). I can pass tape, but not weight, which leads me to believe that I am fit for duty, as it stands. My BMI and other factors put me in the prime range for pharmaceutical weight loss. I'm not abusing it, repeat NOT abusing it. That's not the goal at all. I wouldn't take it on a deployment, nor would I need it on one. There hasn't been a change in my health. I am in basically the same place I was when I went through MEPS, height/weight wise.

I'm not taking anything now. I wanted to look into it before I did anything that might be against UCMJ/ DoD policy, so thank you sirs for your input. I appreciate it.

Thank you for the responses. IgD, to your questions: I'm still in school, I would be seeing the student health physician (I'm not on tricare and am in a civilian insurance structure). I can pass tape, but not weight, which leads me to believe that I am fit for duty, as it stands. My BMI and other factors put me in the prime range for pharmaceutical weight loss.

I'm no expert on pharmaceutical weight loss, but I'm pretty sure it's not considered a great method of losing weight. The only reason I could imagine wanting such drugs is to help with studying for exams. If you can pass the tape, then is there a reason that you're giving up on better methods of weight loss like diet and exercise?

I'm no expert on pharmaceutical weight loss, but I'm pretty sure it's not considered a great method of losing weight. The only reason I could imagine wanting such drugs is to help with studying for exams. If you can pass the tape, then is there a reason that you're giving up on better methods of weight loss like diet and exercise?

You could play it out like this

... you went to your civilian health care provider while you're in HPSP and they treated you. You didn't think it was a potentially life alterating treatment since it was of short duration. As a reservist, albeit in the funny IRR world HPSP puts you in, you're required to do their version of the RCPHA yearly (the online health questionnaire(. If you plan therapy to continue at this time, then report it. If not, you could report that its done, not an ongoing issuel. Or you can be confused and not write anything.

They will probably confer with the regs and will balk at using medications for weight loss which have sympathomimetic effects. So they'll tell you to stop at that time, that whole process could take a while.

Then you'll come in active duty.
You'll ge a PHA, get your records set up, and they'll screen you for anything which sends off red flags. if youre still on weight loss meds then, you'll have to get a military physician to give it to you, and, well, good luck with that...

Thank you for the responses. IgD, to your questions: I'm still in school, I would be seeing the student health physician (I'm not on tricare and am in a civilian insurance structure). I can pass tape, but not weight, which leads me to believe that I am fit for duty, as it stands. My BMI and other factors put me in the prime range for pharmaceutical weight loss. I'm not abusing it, repeat NOT abusing it. That's not the goal at all. I wouldn't take it on a deployment, nor would I need it on one. There hasn't been a change in my health. I am in basically the same place I was when I went through MEPS, height/weight wise.

I'm not taking anything now. I wanted to look into it before I did anything that might be against UCMJ/ DoD policy, so thank you sirs for your input. I appreciate it.

If ur passing tape what is the problem? Also, are you on wards yet? I know during my first two years it was hard to keep weight off with sitting behind a book or in lecture all day. Once you get on wards a little more weight should come off being up and moving around.

Again ur passing tape...if ur working out then you should continue to keep passing tape. The military only cares if you cant pass a PT test or u cant pass tape. If you can pass both there is no problem.

The reason for tape in my opinion is to take into account that some of us have body types that do not fit into that typical chart they have about height/weight proportions. Maybe this is the case.

Stay away from the meds and do what most of the rest of us do...workout and eat better and ull be good to go :thumbup:

If ur passing tape what is the problem? Also, are you on wards yet? I know during my first two years it was hard to keep weight off with sitting behind a book or in lecture all day. Once you get on wards a little more weight should come off being up and moving around.

I've gained. I might move more, but I get to the gym less and I always overeat for breakfast and lunch because I'm not sure when my next meal is coming. Also hospital cafeterias like to serve double portions

Lesson: Bring you lunch, and make sure you hit the gym any day you're not on call.

I've gained. I might move more, but I get to the gym less and I always overeat for breakfast and lunch because I'm not sure when my next meal is coming. Also hospital cafeterias like to serve double portions

Lesson: Bring you lunch, and make sure you hit the gym any day you're not on call.

Yeah, most of the people in my med school class who gained weight did it during 3rd year.

Thanks.

Will you pop on a urine analysis for this? Do you even get tested s an HPSPer? Anyway, even if you do pop, you'll be ok (wrt to the Zero tolerance drug policy) as long as youre on a valid Rx. Valid means written by a US-actively-liscenced MD---not your favorite mexican or canadian apothecary---and taken in the prescribed window--30 days, whatever. Caution here: if you save some pills and take it on say day 35 (5 days post-Rx) and then you pop on a UA, technically youve violated the drug policy and youre done.

This thread has me curious. Is there an actual DoD or other military regulation about using stimulants under the care of a doctor for weight loss?

This thread has me curious. Is there an actual DoD or other military regulation about using stimulants under the care of a doctor for weight loss?

It would be interesting if they did. Kinda makes letting all those GNC stores set up shop on bases seem hypocritical doesn't it?

BUMED put out an instruction in 1999 (yes I'm old) which banned Navy providers from prescribing, but I don't recall it going so far as to completely ban members from visiting civilian providers (at their own expense).

I have always been rabidly opposed to weight loss medications. Over the long haul, almost all have had some pretty nasty consequences. In the end, there is no magic bullet to a healthy lifestyle. Eat less and exercise more. If calories out is more than calories in, you lose weight. Never fails.

To the OP, if you meet tape for body fat (admitedly not the best method, but it is the one we use), you should not fit the category of morbidly obese. Weight loss drugs are not for those who want to lose 10-15 pounds. If you need drugs to drop weight at your current age, wait 10+ years when your metabolism really starts to slow down. Look at your diet and lifestyle. That is where you should be making your changes. In the long run, it is the only long term answer.

JMHO

To the OP, if you meet tape for body fat (admitedly not the best method, but it is the one we use), you should not fit the category of morbidly obese. Weight loss drugs are not for those who want to lose 10-15 pounds. If you need drugs to drop weight at your current age, wait 10+ years when your metabolism really starts to slow down. Look at your diet and lifestyle. That is where you should be making your changes. In the long run, it is the only long term answer.

Well yeah, but it's pretty unlikely that the OP truly wants these drugs to lose weight.

Here's a clinical vignette for you: Med student shows up in your clinic. He asks for phentermine to "lose weight," but his body composition meets military standards. Hmmmmm.......

The Air Force isn't terribly keen on it either.

To the OP: from an overall health perspective, you're much better off working with a nutritionist and a personal trainer. The weight-loss drugs have a significant rebound effect once you go off them. Plus there is always a good chance that the medication that you tried shows up on the 1-800-BAD-DRUG commercials. Remember Fen-Phen?

I'm with AF M4 and others.....you'd be better off with portion control and exercise. i had to "tape out" almost my entire career. I took phentermine for a couple of months after I got out because I wanted to join a service that didn't tape for initial enlistment. As soon as I stopped taking it, the weight came immediately back and then somene. Plus the side effects were killer: my heart raced all the time, it kept my blood sugar messed up, it also affects neurotransmitter levels, so your emotions change too.......It just wasn't worth it.

As far as DOD is concerned, AR 40-501, the enlistment standards,might have an answer.