Phi Beta Kappa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MercyKillerDoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How good is it to be in this honors society in regard to medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a pbk and i've only had 2 interviews so far. i don't think it really matters either way. it can't hurt, but if you have an interesting record people will see on on your transcripts. I was all happy to get in though :)

how do u get in pbk? can u apply, or do they invite you?

Members don't see this ad :)
From the PBK website FAQ:

http://www.pbk.org/about/faq.htm

3. How do I become a member of Phi Beta Kappa?

Candidates are nominated for election to by their chapters and cannot apply for membership. Students interested in Phi Beta Kappa are encouraged to contact the chapter officer early in their academic careers for guidance on requirements and curriculum. Generally, election to membership occurs at the completion of undergraduate study. A very few chapters at universities with doctoral programs in the liberal arts and sciences also elect graduate student members.

im about to graduate in december and they sent me an invitation a month ago...thinking it was just a gimmick society who wanted my $95 i was about to throw it away...however according to a couple of med students at Wash U, PBK is legit and actually quite prestigious to put on your CV...