Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesLMT

Accidentally Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New Year, New Thread!!! Discuss away!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about this school. If there are any current students around could you explain pro and con of this school and what life is like outside of school in this area?.... I really don't know anything about GA...

Ok, IMHO:

Pros: excellent reputation, solid match lists (implies good teaching), great facilities, amazing staff

Cons: expensive, no teaching hospital (more a DO issue than just PCOM), did i mention expensive

Area: school is self contained in a single building in a commercial park. You would never know it was there unless you looked. They have put tons into the building and it is great. Area wise, you are just NE of Atlanta and have all the benefits that offers while being just far enough out to be able to avoid the traffic. Area is suburbs, lots of trees and excellent parks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, IMHO:

Pros: excellent reputation, solid match lists (implies good teaching), great facilities, amazing staff

Cons: expensive, no teaching hospital (more a DO issue than just PCOM), did i mention expensive

Area: school is self contained in a single building in a commercial park. You would never know it was there unless you looked. They have put tons into the building and it is great. Area wise, you are just NE of Atlanta and have all the benefits that offers while being just far enough out to be able to avoid the traffic. Area is suburbs, lots of trees and excellent parks.

So if there is no teaching hospital what hospital is PCOM-Ga assocaited with so you can do your clinicals ?

Most DO schools don't have a 'teaching' hospital per-se as they are private.

GA-PCOM has great relationships with several large area hospitals for clinical rotations, along with a multitude of private practices. They also have an excellent reputation from both DO & MDs in the area so you can see about anything.

You build your rotation with help/guidance/direction from PCOM from a list of options in the area. this can be good as you see real medicine and 'could' get to do a lot more as the only med student in the ER or practice vs one of 15 where you are lucky if they know your name.

Most DO schools don't have a 'teaching' hospital per-se as they are private.

GA-PCOM has great relationships with several large area hospitals for clinical rotations, along with a multitude of private practices. They also have an excellent reputation from both DO & MDs in the area so you can see about anything.

You build your rotation with help/guidance/direction from PCOM from a list of options in the area. this can be good as you see real medicine and 'could' get to do a lot more as the only med student in the ER or practice vs one of 15 where you are lucky if they know your name.

This is true... I would not mind setting up my own clinicals ...

Last edited:
I submitted my AACOMAS app yesterday!

-

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Good luck on the upcoming cycle!

I was just wondering if you all thought it was too late to take the August 4 MCAT for this cycle?

Is it too late if I apply in September when I get my scores back or should I apply with a 3.19sGPA and a 3.37cGPA and a 17 MCAT (I know horrible score but I didn't study for the tset).

PCOM-GA is my top school so any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Do NOT apply with a 17 MCAT until your retake scores come back unless you like to pay for the privilege of rejection with no chance at acceptance.

You need to fix that score before you apply anywhere.

You will not even be considered below 20, and need 24+ to get a decent shot.

Do you know why you got a 17? Did you get a 6/6/5 (meaning you barely did better than guessing and have a ton of work to even get a 20) or a 8/6/3 (where fixing the 3 will give you a large boost)?

Regardless, you need to probably plan on waiting and fix your MCAT. Also, what is the rest of your application look like? Are you a stellar applicant that blew the test, or a B/C student that needs the MCAT to show what you can do?

Sorry to be a downer, good luck.

I have applied here too guys! It is definitely my top choice b/c of the good rep/education and I am a through and through GA boy. I have a 26Q with a dinky 6 in VR so that is my major concern. I know how to read, I just hate that damn verbal bs lol. Did well in practice on verbal but bombed the real deal.

Anyway, I know atl has a bunch of good hospitals so it would be a great place to do clinicals 3rd and 4th year. Anyone know which hospitals they are with?

Does anyone know if they favor Ga residents or if clinical experience is a big factor for them?

Members don't see this ad :)
AACOMAS application released to school 6/14/2012 :).

I have applied here too guys! It is definitely my top choice b/c of the good rep/education and I am a through and through GA boy. I have a 26Q with a dinky 6 in VR so that is my major concern. I know how to read, I just hate that damn verbal bs lol. Did well in practice on verbal but bombed the real deal.

Anyway, I know atl has a bunch of good hospitals so it would be a great place to do clinicals 3rd and 4th year. Anyone know which hospitals they are with?

Does anyone know if they favor Ga residents or if clinical experience is a big factor for them?

Applying here too. Does anyone else know which hospitals they rotate through in Atlanta?

Applying here too. Does anyone else know which hospitals they rotate through in Atlanta?

They don't give out a list because they say it changes a lot. And I think you can setup to rotate somewhere if it's not an option when it's your turn.

But I was told by a student Grady and AMC have been options in the past.

But I was told by a student Grady and AMC have been options in the past.

When i worked in the ER I talked to some paramedics that worked for Grady. All I can say is that they had some super crazy stories about multiple shootings, gang wars, and other serious stuff that seemed to happen frequently. Should give a good variety of experiences during rotations. Unless of course they were all full of **** lol

Yea Grady ER is a crazy place, esp since they take everyone regardless if they can pay or not. Would make for an awesome ER rotation!

When i worked in the ER I talked to some paramedics that worked for Grady. All I can say is that they had some super crazy stories about multiple shootings, gang wars, and other serious stuff that seemed to happen frequently. Should give a good variety of experiences during rotations. Unless of course they were all full of **** lol

There are many options available, and as stated they don't give a list as it changes and can be modified.

There are several large hospitals in the area, as well as community hospitals.

I can't say if you could get into Grady but since they do core rotations for Emory you would likely have to work to get approval from Grady. That said, it is the public hospital in a large city so yes they get a lot of trauma. They also get tons of homeless w lice, drug addicts that OD and get picked up by cops and poor kids w earaches.

Is there a regional preference for this school?

anybody know what the secondary essay questions R?

This is definitely my top choice school since it's literally five minutes away from my house! :D

Just got MCAT scores today. 27P (8 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS). I have a 3.03 GPA and 2.97 sGPA. Hoping to send in my applications really soon!

Good luck to everyone else and fingers crossed! :xf:

This is definitely my top choice school since it's literally five minutes away from my house! :D

Just got MCAT scores today. 27P (8 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS). I have a 3.03 GPA and 2.97 sGPA. Hoping to send in my applications really soon!

Good luck to everyone else and fingers crossed! :xf:

Goodluck, im applying here as well!

Can anyone comment on how strict the newly implemented attendance policy will be? GA-PCOM is my top choice school based on other factors, but I am not particularly fond of spending massive amounts of time in the classroom if it can be avoided.

Im a second year D.O. at PCOM-Ga ...Ill help anyone out with questions. Just glanced over a few of the questions. Attendance policy? I dont know where that rumor came from but I never go to class, same goes for a lot of my classmates...but i wouldnt be surprised if they did start one for the incoming class because of how bad we were : / ...Location of the school is great, tucked away in nice lil suburb and 45 min drive from downtown ATL...when the time goes to go out (once a month) there are a lot of options. As for the faculty and curriculum, as with any school, there are strong and weak spots, but overall I enjoyed the professors I had. The curriculum is something that cannot be explained until you get here. Before coming to PCOM-Ga everyone harped about the amount of material, there is no way to get you to understand the magnitude of material...For specifics just ask and Ill give ya my best shot!!!
Take care

Im a second year D.O. at PCOM-Ga ...Ill help anyone out with questions. Just glanced over a few of the questions. Attendance policy? I dont know where that rumor came from but I never go to class, same goes for a lot of my classmates...but i wouldnt be surprised if they did start one for the incoming class because of how bad we were : / ...Location of the school is great, tucked away in nice lil suburb and 45 min drive from downtown ATL...when the time goes to go out (once a month) there are a lot of options. As for the faculty and curriculum, as with any school, there are strong and weak spots, but overall I enjoyed the professors I had. The curriculum is something that cannot be explained until you get here. Before coming to PCOM-Ga everyone harped about the amount of material, there is no way to get you to understand the magnitude of material...For specifics just ask and Ill give ya my best shot!!!
Take care

Can you specify what your first year was like? Like what classes you took, how much you studied, things you did, etc.

Thanks

Isnt Grady part of Emory?

Formally Grady is Morehouse School of Medicine's Hospital and I think Emory's is Emory University Hospital, formerly known as Crawford-Long but I think some Emory students rotate at Grady too.

anything yet? this is the only school I haven't heard a word from...

Actual secondary invite, 11:30 pm Eastern. Hope others get one soon too!