Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Someone in another thread mentioned that in-state bias is extreme for this school. Anyone have more info to back this up?

Reactions: 1 user
Applying here this cycle...good luck everyone :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone in another thread mentioned that in-state bias is extreme for this school. Anyone have more info to back this up?

There is bias, but I would call it southern bias. There are several students from florida, mississippi, louisiana, texas, etc (Im from south florida myself). Very few from outside the south, and if they are there is a very specific reason (parents/spouse here).

There is bias, but I would call it southern bias. There are several students from florida, mississippi, louisiana, texas, etc (Im from south florida myself). Very few from outside the south, and if they are there is a very specific reason (parents/spouse here).

Good to know, I'll remove the school from my app. Thanks

What are the typical stats for this school? Are they similar to PCOM?

Applying here! GA resident! Good luck everyone!

Is the PA PCOM more open to GA residents?

Hi everyone! I'm uber happy that I've been accepted for admission into the Biomed Sci program! :soexcited: Looking forward to starting in the Fall, and possibly meeting some of you. :)

GA resident, thinking of applying here depending on it's in-state bias.

Texas resident who is applying here, hope I didn't waste my money since I thought they didn't have a strong instate bias ;/

Members don't see this ad :)
:)Just recieved a secondary!

Under requirements for letters of recommendations, I noticed that there is no requirement for a physician letter. Am I correct? or is a DO letter required and I just didn't see it?

Thanks!

:)Just recieved a secondary!

Under requirements for letters of recommendations, I noticed that there is no requirement for a physician letter. Am I correct? or is a DO letter required and I just didn't see it?

Thanks!
correct

Secondary Submitted. I accidentally put in my birth date for submission signature and realized just after clicking submit...OH well

no secondary yet from pcom/pcom-ga but have heard back from all other 9 DO schools I applied...were the essays long for these two?

could anyone got a secondary share his/her stats, please?

Anyone know if there is a specific mcat cutoff for this school? Like nothing accepted less than 8? And would being a NC resident hurt my chances at all? Ppreciate any answers

Can we please get the prompt for the secondary posted on post #1, thank you.

Last edited:
So, I just checked my application, and everything else is shown as being received except my secondary application (even the secondary fee o.0). Anyone else having this issue? I already submitted the secondary way back last week.
They usually say to allow at least 15 business days to process. Has that changed this year?

Anyone know if there is a specific mcat cutoff for this school? Like nothing accepted less than 8? And would being a NC resident hurt my chances at all? Ppreciate any answers

PCOM.png

Stats for 2011. Ive been told not to apply here if you have any subsection scores less than 8.

@Grace184

It doesnt say. I would probably call their admission office to verify.

Last edited:
View attachment 193895

Stats for 2011. Ive been told not to apply here if you have any subsection scores less than 8.

I disagree. This mentality made me procrastinate in apps last cycle. I assumed that bc one of my subscores was below avg, there was almost no point in applying.. My apps weren't in till December.
To my surprise, I still got three out of seven interviews, despite my low subscore and applying late.

Lesson: Every shot you don't take is a miss.

No harm in applying

Reactions: 3 users
When you guys click the link for the secondary itself, even though you submitted it once already, does it give you the option to refill it? Lol i'm so confused.

This is for PA...is it the same for GA?

I disagree. This mentality made me procrastinate in apps last cycle. I assumed that bc one of my subscores was below avg, there was almost no point in applying.. My apps weren't in till December.
To my surprise, I still got three out of seven interviews, despite my low subscore and applying late.

Lesson: Every shot you don't take is a miss.

No harm in applying

Whats the breakdown of your MCAT score?

First take: (9/9/8)
Second Take: (11/6/8)

Schools might be more forgiving than you think, just sayin.

First take: (9/9/8)
Second Take: (11/6/8)

Schools might be more forgiving than you think, just sayin.
Omg that's awesome! I have the same Mcat as your second try. Thanks for the encouragement. What's your GPA if you don't mind?

Omg that's awesome! I have the same Mcat as your second try. Thanks for the encouragement. What's your GPA if you don't mind?

3.4 science.
3.5 cum
3.7 non-science

Lol... glad to help :)

Reactions: 1 users
was the prompt the same as PCOM?

And you got an interview to PCOM?! Please tell me that you did.

I emailed both campuses this morning. There is no mcat cutoff.

Also, does the following question want us to specify our speeding tickets? Seems kinda weird

"* Have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor (excluding parking violations)?"

I emailed both campuses this morning. There is no mcat cutoff./QUOTE]

I emailed their admission office, and they said they avg MCAT for last year was a 27 with NOTHING less than an 8 in all subsections. :cryi: *I cry everyyyyyyy nightttttt*

Would someone mind sharing the secondary prompt and essay? Thanks in advance

The secondary essay prompt is confusing to me. "Please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field." I do not know how to interpret this question. How could my personal traits demonstrate my interest in Osteopathy? Are they asking me for the essential characteristics of an Osteopathic physician? But if this is what they wanted then they would've worded the question differently. So confused...

The secondary essay prompt is confusing to me. "Please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field." I do not know how to interpret this question. How could my personal traits demonstrate my interest in Osteopathy? Are they asking me for the essential characteristics of an Osteopathic physician? But if this is what they wanted then they would've worded the question differently. So confused...

I'd interpret it as requiring a description of the personal traits that led to an interest in the field, like which of your characteristics "clicks" with studying osteopathic medicine.

Because you're right - that prompt makes no sense. Characteristics don't demonstrate interest in a career field. They're by definition intrinsic to the individual and independent of whether or not the individual even has or is pursuing a career, as far as I've been made to understand.

Last edited: