Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if either PCOM issues rejections or they just silently let you fall off the abyss of uncertainty?

I was complete about a century ago and have gotten no news

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if either PCOM issues rejections or they just silently let you fall off the abyss of uncertainty?

I was complete about a century ago and have gotten no news
+1

Reactions: 1 user
Could someone elaborate a little on how the writing assignment works?

Very early in the interview day your entire interview group gets put into a computer room. There is a word doc already opened with about 5-8 questions (somebody else correct me if i'm wrong). You have ~30 minutes to answer the questions. I would refer to the interview feedback portion of this site for help on potential questions. When I spoke to others they have had different questions than I had so I wouldn't try to prepare for specific questions. I wouldn't worry so much about it, there were several individuals in my group that left questions blank (due to time)

The interview itself is at the end of the day.

Get a good night's sleep and have a hearty breakfast because it will be a long day. Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone elaborate a little on how the writing assignment works?

Yeah basically what @getfat said. You have exactly 30 minutes to complete the word document and they time you on it. From what I remember I had like 8 questions maybe even a few more. While finishing the document I felt pressured for time so do your best to answer the questions with maybe an example but be concise. In my opinion, I think it is in your best interest to finish the document as best as you can because it shows you are able to complete a task in a pressured setting, but that's just my two cents. But as for my interview (not sure if they do this in all the interviews), the document guided the questions they asked and I just elaborated or provided more examples when needed for each question. On top of that, just be prepared for the basic questions they ask at each interview (Why DO, Why GA-PCOM, Why Physician, Tell me about yourself). Hope that helps, good luck!

I agree with @getfatt and @Failboat. However, during my interview, none of the questions from the document were brought up. They didn't even look at the sheet for the entirety of my interview.

So I've read you can see your portal update to "submit deposit $250" or something similar, effectively indicating you're accepted before you get your snail mail.

Anyone know how long after their interview until they saw it change? ~And is it just through the normal logic -> select campus route?

So I've read you can see your portal update to "submit deposit $250" or something similar, effectively indicating you're accepted before you get your snail mail.

Anyone know how long after their interview until they saw it change? ~And is it just through the normal logic -> select campus route?

I think it took about two weeks after the interview for the status to change to "submit deposit $250" for me. Yeah, you can just find it from selecting the GA-PCOM campus on the portal that shows your status and it should be near the top.

It should show up right below "Thank you for your interest in PCOM! Below are important details regarding your application for admission. The grid below summarizes your application including notification of required items received/processed by the Office of Admissions to date."

Around what time does the interview day end?

It depends on what number you are in your group. I was in a group of four and I was the first one to interview so I was done by 2pm. If you go last...it will probably be about 4ish.

Hey everyone, current third year, feel free to PM with any questions and I will give you my two cents.

How was the interview day? And was the interview with a panel or one on one?

Could someone please clarify the turn around time after the interview and if it's just snail mail?

-Thanks

Could someone please clarify the turn around time after the interview and if it's just snail mail?

-Thanks

It was about two weeks for me in December. The turn around time could be shorter because you are later in the application cycle. Accepted students in my interview group first found out through portal with link to pay for $250 deposit. Later we received a letter in the mail with initial matriculation checklist.

Have faith friend! Your hard work will pay off!

Members don't see this ad :)
It was about two weeks for me in December. The turn around time could be shorter because you are later in the application cycle. Accepted students in my interview group first found out through portal with link to pay for $250 deposit. Later we received a letter in the mail with initial matriculation checklist.

Have faith friend! Your hard work will pay off!
Thanks for the update! I really want to go here but I am from Texas, so we'll see what happens.

Been complete for a while and have not heard anything yet. I'm IS and really like this school! Do they do pre-II rejection notifications or silent rejections? I've been going nuts waiting for an II!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Been complete for a while and have not heard anything yet. I'm IS and really like this school! Do they do pre-II rejection notifications or silent rejections? I've been going nuts waiting for an II!!

+1. From what I read on previous threads, supposedly they send rejections toward the end of the cycle. I'm not totally sure though.

+1. From what I read on previous threads, supposedly they send rejections toward the end of the cycle. I'm not totally sure though.

That would be horrible. I guess I'll stick to the mantra that "no news is good news." Haha I guess I just have to practice some patience for now

That would be horrible. I guess I'll stick to the mantra that "no news is good news." Haha I guess I just have to practice some patience for now

Yeah the wait is killing me! No interview invite either

Yeah the wait is killing me! No interview invite either

I'm not sure if there's just a saturation of applications or if this is their nice way of sayin "nope." Haha

I'm not sure if there's just a saturation of applications or if this is their nice way of sayin "nope." Haha

I think they just don't want me haha. I was complete in early December

I think they just don't want me haha. I was complete in early December

I'm just rather confused cause I see others getting accepted with lower stats, though obviously there's much more to it. I believe that PCOM is probably extremely GPA-driven over MCAT, which is where I kinda fall short unfortunately

I'm just rather confused cause I see others getting accepted with lower stats, though obviously there's much more to it. I believe that PCOM is probably extremely GPA-driven over MCAT, which is where I kinda fall short unfortunately

Are they really? Because I have a high GPA but a low to average MCAT and haven't been invited for an interview. So I wouldn't worry about it

Are they really? Because I have a high GPA but a low to average MCAT and haven't been invited for an interview. So I wouldn't worry about it

Lol you and I are in the opposite boats then, my friend. Perhaps we're just letting our neuroticism show lol (more so myself than you obviously but misery loves company lol)

For those of you worrying about interview invites take a deep breath and try not to stress (easier said than done). I was complete back in August 08/22/2016 to be exact. I got an II on February 1st for my interview on February 3rd. Interviews don't end until March so it isn't over until it's over :nod:

Anyone know what the acceptance/rejection snail mail looks like? It is a plain envelope or does it say ACCEPTED CONGRATULATIONS all over it like some undergrads do?

I was hoping to nab it and open it privately.

For those of you worrying about interview invites take a deep breath and try not to stress (easier said than done). I was complete back in August 08/22/2016 to be exact. I got an II on February 1st for my interview on February 3rd. Interviews don't end until March so it isn't over until it's over :nod:

Thank you for the reassurance :) did you have really high stats though? That's a really short amount of time between the invite and the actual interview!

Lol you and I are in the opposite boats then, my friend. Perhaps we're just letting our neuroticism show lol (more so myself than you obviously but misery loves company lol)

Haha I'm just as neurotic I think, unfortunately lol

Just got my acceptance!! Beyond excited and thankful!

Reactions: 6 users
Thank you for the reassurance :) did you have really high stats though? That's a really short amount of time between the invite and the actual interview!
Nope. My science GPA was about a 3.7 and MCAT a 498 on the new scale. So nothing above the average candidate I guess.

Nope. My science GPA was about a 3.7 and MCAT a 498 on the new scale. So nothing above the average candidate I guess.

This gives me some hope lol. I have a 3.7 GPA and a slightly higher MCAT

I'm not sure about the exterior of the envelope. The letter got sent to my house and my parents told me I had received an acceptance. And I interviewed in early January.

That's awesome! When were you complete?

I finished my secondary back in November but didn't get a complete email until 1/23. So it took a while for them to confirm my application, but it's never too late apparently!

Does anyone have advice for this interview?? I know they do a 30 min writing prompt, but what should I look over/study to ensure I can utilize that time effectively? Also, how were the interviews themselves?? Good cop/bad cop, relaxed, etc?

I finished my secondary back in November but didn't get a complete email until 1/23. So it took a while for them to confirm my application, but it's never too late apparently!

You actually got a complete email? I'm kinda worried, I never got an email. My portal just has a date with everything received.

I'd be interested to know about this "complete email" as well. Everything on the portal is received but I never got an email saying complete. I've updated them via email a couple of times too.

Congratulations though!

My portal just has a date with everything received.

Thats all that matters. The prompt at the top mentions if a date is filled with every box in the "required" section then your app is complete.

@DrDawg399 Look at common interview questions and at least have an idea of what you want to say. The writing prompt is more of a talking point in the interview so I would not worry about getting everything perfectly worded. Just make sure you get a basic idea down for all the questions. It will be a long day so make sure you get a good nights sleep.

I'd be interested to know about this "complete email" as well. Everything on the portal is received but I never got an email saying complete. I've updated them via email a couple of times too.

Congratulations though!

You actually got a complete email? I'm kinda worried, I never got an email. My portal just has a date with everything received.

Wait a sec, I actually never got an email. Disregard that! I checked my account to see and they were complete emails from other schools. Sorry to give you guys extra nerves!!

Thats all that matters. The prompt at the top mentions if a date is filled with every box in the "required" section then your app is complete.

@DrDawg399 Look at common interview questions and at least have an idea of what you want to say. The writing prompt is more of a talking point in the interview so I would not worry about getting everything perfectly worded. Just make sure you get a basic idea down for all the questions. It will be a long day so make sure you get a good nights sleep.

That sounds perfect. Thank you very much! I plan to do my research of the school as well.

I'm not sure about the exterior of the envelope. The letter got sent to my house and my parents told me I had received an acceptance. And I interviewed in early January.

Damn your parents opened your mail?

If you have a section below a 125, does that mean you won't be granted an interview?

My parents have done this too. They just look like deer in headlights when I say I don't want them doing that.
God I have the opposite problem, I can't get mine to actually open them. I tell them to open my mail to make sure nothing important comes because I'm working on the other side of the country, but nope they just put in a drawer for me for when I come visit. *sigh*

My husband grabbed my letter and ran away like a child to open it :laugh:...but since the portal already gave away the news I didn't care THIS time but normally it is irritating as this happens often lol. The letter is normal sized with nothing crazy on it to whoever was asking. IT does however have a PCOM logo on the front though, so it is pretty obvious who sent it if you have a snooper in the family like I do.