Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Number one school. Can't wait to hear from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is also my number 1!

Reactions: 1 user
definitely one of my top schools too! still waiting to be verified, anyone know the secondary questions yet?

Does anyone know if they screen sub-scores?

Word on the street is we don't officially screen but that it would do a lot of good to have an MCAT of at least 24+ and have at least 8+ on each section (and whatever the equivalent works out to on the new exam)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they officially screen but I heard someone at admissions (last year at the open house) suggest a screen at 24. I could be wrong though.

@TopTomato

I've been pretty MIA on SDN lately, but i'm a second year at PCOM. If you guys have any questions, i'll do my best to answer them via PM. Good luck.

Any current students here?
Another second year here (well, once August rolls around). Feel free to PM me any questions as well; this forum helped me a fair bit when I was applying.

thatdbegreat.jpg

If I applied to PCOM-PA last year but not PCOM-GA, should I put "yes" to being a re-applicant for both secondaries? Or just PA? It only asks if I've applied to PCOM before, it doesn't specify campus.

We recommend typing your essay in a Word document and pasting into the field below.
  • * Noting the missions and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO.

I also have a question. Regarding LOR's PCOM made fairly clear in their instructions that faculty letters are from those issuing letter grades only. I have two Science letters, but my third "faculty letter" was from a Staff member who taught a CPR/AED course and that I volunteered with as well. This was a certification course on a P/F system. As a graduate two years ago I dont have any significant professors to reach back out to and ask for another letter. I plan on calling PCOM tomorrow and seeing if this will be acceptable but I am nervous. What do you guys think?? I also have a DO letter and other volunteer letters to supplement.

Whats it mean by "have you previously attended PCOM?" I mean...if I did, I wouldnt be applying. Are they talking about have you visited PCOM? i dont really understand this question

Whats it mean by "have you previously attended PCOM?" I mean...if I did, I wouldnt be applying. Are they talking about have you visited PCOM? i dont really understand this question
yes, it's asking whether you have been to the coffee shop on campus.
jk

They mean have you previously attended pcom for one of their other programs ie ms biomedical sciences. Also, they want to know if you were dismissed or something from one of their programs. Don't overthink it, just put no, dude.

I would like to be the first to say that this secondary question seems like it was written by a high school student. It is a lot to write in 250 words and "personal characteristics that demonstrate an interest in this field." Characteristics don't demonstrate an interest in anything unless it is "I have the characteristic of being interested in medicine"

Rant over

Reactions: 5 users

Some people have attended PCOM (Biomed, etc.) before applying DO. This doesn't apply to campus visits

The secondary is exactly the same for both campuses. Do I need to submit it twice if I'm applying to both campuses? And is it okay to enter the same information and essay?

Do you guys know if we can substitute the professor's letter with physician letter? I have been trying to reach them, but totally forgot about the time zone.

The secondary is exactly the same for both campuses. Do I need to submit it twice if I'm applying to both campuses? And is it okay to enter the same information and essay?

Yeah go for it. They're reviewed by two separate committees, and you'll pay two secondary fees.

Any advice for the essay? I haven't exactly lived long enough to significantly influence someone.

Last edited:
Quick LOR question. I took research as a class for graded units and received a LOR from my PI. When I contacted PCOM to ask if this was ok, I was told it was fine as the class is noted in the letter. Seeing as I waived my rights to the letter I have no clue what's in it. On the flip side I wrote in my primary I received graded units for taking research as a class... Any idea if this will be ok?

I was so excited about the getting the secondary, until I read the essay question.

1. 250 words is not enough
2. I do not have any good stories about influencing someone else that I can related to wanting to become a doctor
3. How the f&&& do personal characteristics demonstrate an interest in medicine?

I feel like it's going to take forever to write this essay and that even after submitting, I'm going to keep obsessing over this essay.

Reactions: 8 users
I also have a question. Regarding LOR's PCOM made fairly clear in their instructions that faculty letters are from those issuing letter grades only. I have two Science letters, but my third "faculty letter" was from a Staff member who taught a CPR/AED course and that I volunteered with as well. This was a certification course on a P/F system. As a graduate two years ago I dont have any significant professors to reach back out to and ask for another letter. I plan on calling PCOM tomorrow and seeing if this will be acceptable but I am nervous. What do you guys think?? I also have a DO letter and other volunteer letters to supplement.
"Staff member who taught a CPR/AED" is not a science letter, usually the academic letter should come from someone with professor (full, associate, assistant) from a four year institution.

lol this essay though...

I think I have a good story for the essay but 250 words? Seriously is this a joke, how can we answer pretty much 3 questions in 250 words. :yeahright::yeahright::yeahright:

Submitted secondary today! Only one essay with a 250 word limit