Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just posting in to let you guys know that I got my interview invite in February and was accepted into March last year. I was also completed in August.

Just stay patient!

You're good, @BoroPreMed92

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Put down my deposit and submitted my technical standards form. Waiting to hear back from another school post-interview, but wanted to hold a seat in a school as great as PCOM. Anyone have a class of 2021 class page or source for important information? Haven't received anything from the admissions office yet.

Put down my deposit and submitted my technical standards form. Waiting to hear back from another school post-interview, but wanted to hold a seat in a school as great as PCOM. Anyone have a class of 2021 class page or source for important information? Haven't received anything from the admissions office yet.

Join the party!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1035536913212138/

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, could someone who interviewed or a current student PM me? I have a few questions post-interview.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if PCOM is receptive to update letters? (or could someone tell me if there is an easier way to search the thread?)

Surprised to see an II just now! Date set is Jan 26.
Stats
GPA: 3.82, sGPA: 3.89, MCAT: 506

Complete 8/1

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know which hotels near PCOM offer discounted rates for interviewees? Admissions sent a link in their interview confirmation email, however, there was no hotel info contained within the link, only driving directions. Any information would be appreciated thanks!

Does anyone know which hotels near PCOM offer discounted rates for interviewees? Admissions sent a link in their interview confirmation email, however, there was no hotel info contained within the link, only driving directions. Any information would be appreciated thanks!

I stayed at Hilton, which was decently priced and literally next to PCOM. You could easily walk over the morning of. Hilton also provided complementary breakfast!

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the soonest someone heard back post interview? Has anyone received a decision sooner than 2 weeks?

I stayed at Hilton, which was decently priced and literally next to PCOM. You could easily walk over the morning of. Hilton also provided complementary breakfast!
Awesome thank you, thats the one I was looking into.. so excited for this interview.. PCOM is and AMAZING school I would be more than ecstatic to attend!

Reactions: 1 users

I stayed in the Holiday Inn in Cherry Hill, NJ for $60. 20 minutes from campus.

I don't think any hotels offer discounts for interviewees.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I believe that they are but you can't be sure. They will not provide application updates through email and your portal stops updating once you are complete. I sent in a letter approximately 20 days before my interview and have no idea if it was included as part of my application. I would get it in at least 15 business days before interview because it takes that long for supplemental docs to be processed. (I was accepted!!!)

Reactions: 1 users
What is the soonest someone heard back post interview? Has anyone received a decision sooner than 2 weeks?

My decision was ~2.5 weeks post interview. They said it would take 5 weeks and were very adamant about that, but they turned it around quicker than that.

My decision was ~2.5 weeks post interview. They said it would take 5 weeks and were very adamant about that, but they turned it around quicker than that.

It depends on when you interview and how soon the committee meets. If you interview closer to the meeting you hear sooner, if you interview right after they meet it can take longer because you have to wait until they meet again.

so they say no calls...but do they really mean it? b/c i've noticed this trend with other schools: only once I call do they actually open my file and take a look at it.

so they say no calls...but do they really mean it? b/c i've noticed this trend with other schools: only once I call do they actually open my file and take a look at it.
I'd only call/email if you have significant updates (additional LORs, new grades, publications, etc.). I called a month ago out of curiosity and was given a "prompt" like response by a disgruntled admissions employee.

I'd only call/email if you have significant updates (additional LORs, new grades, publications, etc.). I called a month ago out of curiosity and was given a "prompt" like response by a disgruntled admissions employee.
Email them.

Hey guys - just starting to get enrolled student info from the school but I'm hoping someone can tell me:

• When is orientation and the first day of classes?
  • When is tuition due?
  • When are transcripts/vax information, etc. due?
thanks

Hey guys - just starting to get enrolled student info from the school but I'm hoping someone can tell me:

• When is orientation and the first day of classes?
  • When is tuition due?
  • When are transcripts/vax information, etc. due?
thanks

Did you get access to Nucleus?

How much pull do you think a LOR from a PCOM alumni would have with regards to receiving an II?

How much pull do you think a LOR from a PCOM alumni would have with regards to receiving an II?

I'm sure every situation is different but personally, the DO doctor that I shadowed and received a letter from is a well known PCOM alumni and I still haven't heard anything from this school

I'm sure every situation is different but personally, the DO doctor that I shadowed and received a letter from is a well known PCOM alumni and I still haven't heard anything from this school

Good to know!

We just started a new program where you can stay with a student. Lots of us signed up. Call and ask the admissions office!

Reactions: 2 users
So I have been complete since early August and my addmission is still under review all this time. Should I just lose hope?

So I have been complete since early August and my addmission is still under review all this time. Should I just lose hope?

Nope! You still have plenty of time to get an interview. Stay patient and keep positive.

If you got in here, would you choose PCOM over KCU?

I would definitely attend the interview. I don't know enough about PCOM to answer though. I know it's a strong school with great research opportunities and I feel like I've heard it has its own ortho residency? (I know it's one of the ultra competitive fields.. plastics maybe?)

I would definitely attend the interview. I don't know enough about PCOM to answer though. I know it's a strong school with great research opportunities and I feel like I've heard it has its own ortho residency? (I know it's one of the ultra competitive fields.. plastics maybe?)

Yep, PCOM has their own ortho residency, not sure about plastics.

EDIT: So I checked. PCOM has their own ortho, plastics, ophtha, and neurosurg residencies, all ultra competitive specialties! @NecrotizingFascitis

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Yep, PCOM has their own ortho residency, not sure about plastics.

EDIT: So I checked. PCOM has their own ortho, plastics, ophtha, and neurosurg residencies, all ultra competitive specialties! @NecrotizingFascitis
Among the many reasons that I chose PCOM over all other D.O. programs - I mean that literally. I'm the nut who applied to all 39 schools

Reactions: 6 users
Among the many reasons that I chose PCOM over all other D.O. programs - I mean that literally. I'm the nut who applied to all 39 schools

All 39?! You're the real MVP.

Reactions: 4 users
That probably means we should be hearing something soon! Maybe the committee hasn't met this new year yet/will be soon? (answering to how there haven't been any acceptances on here lately)

All 39?! You're the real MVP.
I applied to 27 and thought that was crazy. I'm impressed!

N6sjQxg.gif

Reactions: 2 users
That probably means we should be hearing something soon! Maybe the committee hasn't met this new year yet/will be soon? (answering to how there haven't been any acceptances on here lately)
If I were to guess they are meeting sometime this week, and their decision will be out by next.

We have residencies in at least ortho, ENT, gen surg, and plastics, maybe more that I am not aware of