Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We have residencies in at least ortho, ENT, gen surg, and plastics, maybe more that I am not aware of
I'm curious how the merger will affect residency spots for students......I hope they don't pull an MSUCOM and give them all to MD students.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious how the merger will affect residency spots for students......I hope they don't pull an MSUCOM and give them all to MD students.

I checked the AOA residency website, and PCOM's ortho, neurosurg, ophtha, and plastics residencies all have applied for ACGME accreditation!

Reactions: 5 users
Do you guys know if you get one interview invitation from one of the campuses does that mean you wont get it from the other one? or is there any way to chose the campus you go to even if you didnt interview there? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys know if you get one interview invitation from one of the campuses does that mean you wont get it from the other one? or is there any way to chose the campus you go to even if you didnt interview there? Thanks

I don't know the answer to the first question. But since they act as 2 different committees, you cannot choose either campus when you interview at one.

I checked the AOA residency website, and PCOM's ortho, neurosurg, ophtha, and plastics residencies all have applied for ACGME accreditation!

PCOM's on top of it! I think they purposely even waited a bit longer to apply for some programs like Derm at Lehigh just to give DO students an extra year or two before more competition kicks in. Most of their hospitals were ACGME accredited anyways with an osteopathic sub-section, so don't think the transition was very hard at all for them. Powerhouse DO school baby ;)

Reactions: 3 users
does anyone anything about the writing assignment given at PCOM's interviews?

there seems to be according to the interview confirmation email. At least in Georgia that is.

There is a writing section in GA. Just used to facilitate the interview itself.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how often the committee meets? I interviewed on 1/6/17

I got an II from GA but I really want to go to the Philly campus. If I were to say no to the GA interview, what are my chances to get an II from Philly? Are they two separate programs or are they connected?

I got an II from GA but I really want to go to the Philly campus. If I were to say no to the GA interview, what are my chances to get an II from Philly? Are they two separate programs or are they connected?

2 separate programs with different committees.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck everybody! The wait continues!

Last edited:
Submitted my LOR I received from a PCOM alum on Friday. Here's to hoping a second DO letter helps me out! *Fingers Crossed*

PCOM is by far my number 1 choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
ok thank you :)

The GA and the Philly interview were two totally different interviews in my opinion. GA is a smaller campus so the tour isn't as long, there is a catered lunch, and the interview group was slightly larger. You also have to do a 30 minute writing section and answer about 6 questions. Closed file.

The Philly interview was a little more formal but I still thought it went well. It was open file and you don't have questions before hand. We literally took a tour, ate some breakfast and talked to some second years and then interviewed and went home. Hope this helps! I thought both campus interviews were great and each one offers something unique!

The GA and the Philly interview were two totally different interviews in my opinion. GA is a smaller campus so the tour isn't as long, there is a catered lunch, and the interview group was slightly larger. You also have to do a 30 minute writing section and answer about 6 questions. Closed file.

The Philly interview was a little more formal but I still thought it went well. It was open file and you don't have questions before hand. We literally took a tour, ate some breakfast and talked to some second years and then interviewed and went home. Hope this helps! I thought both campus interviews were great and each one offers something unique!

Just curious, did you interview at both campuses?

As others have mentioned -- 2 schools, 2 committees. I'd keep the GA interview and hope/pray you get one in Philly also. There's no guarantee that one will offer you an II if the other doesn't.

Okay so first, and most importantly, where am I going to get the best cheesesteak sandwich while I'm in Philly?
Second, what other cool spots should I check out while I'm here? Bars, streets, food, etc..

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Accepted! Interviewed 1/6/17. My letter was dated on Jan 20th and I live in Philadelphia.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Okay so first, and most importantly, where am I going to get the best cheesesteak sandwich while I'm in Philly?
Second, what other cool spots should I check out while I'm here? Bars, streets, food, etc..

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile
For cheesesteaks go to Jims on south street and other food my favorites are Sampan, Marrakesh and Indeblue

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! Interviewed 1/6/17. My letter was dated on Jan 20th and I live in Philadelphia.

Congrats!!! I got my acceptance letter today as well dated for Jan. 20 and I live in GA! Interviewed December 19, 2016

For cheesesteaks go to Jims on south street and other food my favorites are Sampan, Marrakesh and Indeblue
Steve's Prince of Steaks was pretty darn good as well. Make sure you get cheese wiz.

Reactions: 1 users
Acceptance letter today! interview 1/3/17

Reactions: 3 users
For current students- does PCOM start in the summer or fall for first year students?

Does anyone know if they send rejection letters and how soon? Growing impatient, I applied in October

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if they send rejection letters and how soon? Growing impatient, I applied in October

Unfortunately they don't. The consensus is... if you haven't heard by mid/end of April, it's not happening.

Yep, PCOM has their own ortho residency, not sure about plastics.

EDIT: So I checked. PCOM has their own ortho, plastics, ophtha, and neurosurg residencies, all ultra competitive specialties! @NecrotizingFascitis

And the biggest thing is they all give preference to their own grads. With the merger this is huge for anyone thinking they might like something competitive. One of the biggest reasons I would be torn between my current school and PCOM if they offer me an interview. PCOM really is a powerhouse.

Reactions: 5 users
Unfortunately they don't. The consensus is... if you haven't heard by mid/end of April, it's not happening.

If you haven't heard for an interview or haven't heard post interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but anybody know if they're receptive to letter of intents? Even though no II yet?

And the biggest thing is they all give preference to their own grads. With the merger this is huge for anyone thinking they might like something competitive. One of the biggest reasons I would be torn between my current school and PCOM if they offer me an interview. PCOM really is a powerhouse.

The in-house favoritism isn't as strong at PCOM as it is in OSU I think.

Submitted and competed a secondary and haven't heard anything in a while silent rejection or should I reach out?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile