Philadelphia Health Corps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boodthedog

Members Only
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm tossing around ideas for how to spend next year and was wondering if anyone has done Philadelphia Health Corps. I'm not asking whether 800 a month is doable, that's been answered, more whether you thought it was a worthwhile experience. Also, I'm a little older at 26. Are they looking for 22 year olds straight out of college (the first time). Thanks for any replies.

Members don't see this ad.

I think Americorps is looked on well by adcoms because it shows a committment to service without a lot of financial gain. I have also gotten the impression, though, that Americorps is not selective as the tasks are perhaps emotionally challenging, but not necessarily intellectually challenging. So if you want to do it, you should be able to do it. If you already have a significant amount of service experience you could consider applying for a service related job directly through an organization instead of going through Americorps.

I'm tossing around ideas for how to spend next year and was wondering if anyone has done Philadelphia Health Corps. I'm not asking whether 800 a month is doable, that's been answered, more whether you thought it was a worthwhile experience. Also, I'm a little older at 26. Are they looking for 22 year olds straight out of college (the first time). Thanks for any replies.

Hey I am actually in the Philadelphia Health Corps right now and applying to med school. There is no age requirement. While about half of us (there are 15 total) are straight out of college there are some older members as well. We have a few 26 year olds currently. And our group was one of the younger groups in recent past. So the age should not be a concern.

The program is great. Really great way to spend a transitional year. I would highly recommend. Let me know if you have any other questions. I would be happy to answer.