SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Philadelphia Housing

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by spyspy, Apr 30, 2007.

1. spyspy

spyspy 2+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2007
    I know we already have a Boston thread, and I got jealous, so I started this one .:p (Maybe we could make a general area thread at some point, but until then, here this is.)

If anyone is moving to Philly, already living there, has housing advice, or is looking for housing, please feel free to chime in. PMs are welcome, too.

Hopefully I'll actually get a reply and not have to delete this in shame.;)

Other Philly-related discussion, in addition to housing, is also welcome. I'm excited to be moving there!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. sicologia

sicologia 2+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Chicago, Illinois, USA
    Hey there spyspy.. Thanks for putting this one up!

I'm also moving to Philly and have already contacted 2 realtors who have been searching and scoping the area for me. I'm in the market for a home to buy within the next 3 months, so if anyone here has any ideas for me, please leave them here!

I'm looking to be outside of the downtown area (slightly off of the beaten path is okay) since we have dogs and would like a fenced in yard. In addition to my psychology pursuits, I am also an artist and in need of a lot of space.

Any ideas are welcome. :)

4. KillerDiller

KillerDiller 7+ Year Member

Mar 14, 2007
    From my experience with Philly, if you want to live in the city, Center City is very nice, but pricey (not NYC or San Francisco pricey, but still). Old City is also fun with a lot of restaurants, bars, and clubs around. My favorite Philly neighborhood is Rittenhouse Square, which is a little west of Center City. It's still expensive, but there's a nice park and lots of classy estabilishments around. Lots of people like the more famous South Street area as well (think the mid-Atlantic's answer to the Haight Ashbury), but it's pretty crowded down there. Same with the area around the Italian Market. I don't have very much experience with the northern and southern parts of the cities, so I'm not sure what living there would be like--much less expensive, I'm sure.

As for outside of the city, as I mentioned, I'm only familiar with the western suburbs. Manayunk and Bala Cynwyd are both very cute places with a lot of 20 somethings. They are a great, cheaper option than living in the city. All the towns along the Main Line (basically the ones along the commuter rail heading out in that direction) are very nice, but there is a ton of old money out there, so housing can get pretty expensive.

Anyway, hope this helps.

5. guarinis

guarinis Schweet 2+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Illadelphia
    Well, I'm from Philly born and raised. I love it! I think it's possibly the best city ever.

So, with my unbiased opinion, I will give you some advice...

In Philly - Center City is rather pricey, but well worth it because of the conveniences. Easy access to the subway and regional rail. Not too crazy or loud at night - at least where I lived. If you're looking to rent, contact Kramer Realty - I know my previous apartment (now being subletted) is available on 8/20/07. He's great and the rent is really low.

That being said, Rittenhouse is beautiful, but also really expensive. I don't know many people that live in that area.

Many of my friends live in South Philly and West Philly. South Philly has all that Italian flavor, but it's also kind of rowdy and crazy sometimes. Rent is cheap, but you're obviously not as central.

West Philly is good in some parts - especially over by UPenn. Some of the apartments are really cute and in nice neighborhoody areas.

Outside the city, you should look in Glenside, Jenkintown, Abington, Chestnut Hill. All of these areas are very close to the city by regional rail. I don't personally like Manayunk, but many people do. I find it to be too twenty-something chronic drinkery, but I do think it's cute during the day!

I would stay away from North Philly and deep South Philly and some parts of South West Phily.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions let me know!

6. yikes

yikes 7+ Year Member

Apr 5, 2007
    i went to penn and can say that while some apts in that part of west philly are cute they are all wayyyy overpriced. if you are going to try and get something there go past 42nd and preferably around 46th. i agree with what's been said, old city and center city are probably your best bet. i am jealous, i miss it there!

7. psychanon

psychanon 7+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2005
    I agree with most of the sentiments posted above. Rittenhouse is very nice, but probably the most expensive area in Philly. Center City is also expensive, but it's a great place to live. My favorite balance is the Art Museum Area. It is right near the nicest part of Fairmont Park-- Kelly Drive. It is a wonderful place to go running, biking, or rollerblading in the springtime. Center City is only a 15 minute walk away, and it is cheaper than CC. Northern Liberties (just north of old city) is also a nice, up-and-coming neighborhood. You are also going to want to think about where you are commuting to. Penn, Temple, and Drexel are easily accessible by public transit. Manayunk, although a nice area, is kind of secluded from public transportation, making it hard to get to CC and to any of these schools (it would be easy enough to get to PCOM from Manayunk if you had a car, though).

All this talk about how expensive Philly is.....you have to put it in perspective. In the very nicest areas of Philly, you can probably get a gorgeous two-bedroom apartment with all amenities, walk in closets, skyline views, doorman, etc. for around 1400-2k. Compare that to, say, Manhattan, where you'll get a shoebox with no amenities for much more than that. Philly is only expensive if you're spoiled by living in cheap places.

8. yikes

yikes 7+ Year Member

Apr 5, 2007
    i forgot about the museum area. i change my vote from center city to that. i agree with the rent. my friend lived a few blocks from rittenhouse, in a two bedroom, with utilities included for around $1600/month.

9. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    Wow...that's not bad at atll. It has been awhile since I've been to that area, so I'm not as familiar with it, but center city is definitely a great place to be too.

-t

10. jonahyoo

jonahyoo

May 2, 2007
    Hey guys-

I've been a lurker for about a month now and really enjoy some of the discussions on this site (decided it's about finally time to actually set up an account). I've lived in PA/NJ/NY area all my life and, more specifically, in Philadelphia for the last two years. I think it's a FANTASTIC city! And in comparison to the other cities in the northeast, very cheap (plus centrally located). You just have to be diligent in your apartment search. In addition to craigslist, I recommend looking in the classifieds of Philadelphia Weekly (they have a website, not sure what the address is). Any area of center city is good, Bella Vista, Queen Village, G-Ho, University City, fishtown (working class/very up-and-coming/becoming an artist haven) -- all quality neighborhoods. Many others, but you get the point. Anyway, I'm very biased but I find Philly to be a great, vibrant place to live - so congrats to anyone coming here for school, I hope you enjoy it!

11. danut

danut

May 5, 2007
    Hi,
    I am looking to move downtown this summer and would like a place at a reasonable price (1 bedroom apartment); can you please tell me the phone number of Kramer realty, since I am looking for a relatively inexpensive place!!!

Thanks!

quote=guarinis;5091052]Well, I'm from Philly born and raised. I love it! I think it's possibly the best city ever.

So, with my unbiased opinion, I will give you some advice...

In Philly - Center City is rather pricey, but well worth it because of the conveniences. Easy access to the subway and regional rail. Not too crazy or loud at night - at least where I lived. If you're looking to rent, contact Kramer Realty - I know my previous apartment (now being subletted) is available on 8/20/07. He's great and the rent is really low.

That being said, Rittenhouse is beautiful, but also really expensive. I don't know many people that live in that area.

Many of my friends live in South Philly and West Philly. South Philly has all that Italian flavor, but it's also kind of rowdy and crazy sometimes. Rent is cheap, but you're obviously not as central.

West Philly is good in some parts - especially over by UPenn. Some of the apartments are really cute and in nice neighborhoody areas.

Outside the city, you should look in Glenside, Jenkintown, Abington, Chestnut Hill. All of these areas are very close to the city by regional rail. I don't personally like Manayunk, but many people do. I find it to be too twenty-something chronic drinkery, but I do think it's cute during the day!

I would stay away from North Philly and deep South Philly and some parts of South West Phily.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions let me know![/quote]

12. sicologia

sicologia 2+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Chicago, Illinois, USA
    I haven't been on SDN for awhile mainly due to my work and studies. But, it's sort of interesting to come back around just to read where folks ended up going or, in this case, where they chose to live.

After coming up to Philadelphia two times last summer, I found a place in Manayunk that my wife and I love. 3 floors and a basement, 4 bedrooms, 1 bath, separate kitchen and a fenced in yard all for 1200 bones.

We can't complain and hope to stay here for my duration and journey to the doctorate. Good luck and thanks all!

13. Reem16

Reem16 2+ Year Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Hi everyone,

Looks like I will be moving to Philly too. I will probably also be looking for something in the Art Museum area or south of center city.

I found a good website to look for places to buy or rent: www.longandfoster.com. I've been spending too much time on it recently just looking around the possibilities/prices in different neighborhoods.

Good luck everyone! I'm sure our paths will cross at some point...

14. PinkSoil

PinkSoil 2+ Year Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Hey everyone.

I've been living in Philadelphia for three years now. For two years my husband and I rented a house in South Philly for $1000. This included two bedrooms and a full basement. Last March we bought a house in South Philly (not the house we were renting-- a different house in location we liked even better).

I am extremely familiar with the city so if anyone has any question about areas, please let me know. The neighborhoods of Philly can be very block-to-block, meaning in some areas there may be a cluster of very nice blocks, with some not so nice ones right outside of that.

I absolutely adore South Philly. The best part is the transportation into Center City. I am a 5 minute walk from the subway and there are bus routes running on streets on each side of my block. I can be in CC in 10 minutes.

As far as commuting to school, I drive. (I go to Chestnut Hill for my Masters and will be attending there for Psy.D. as well). You can easily get around Philly without a car, but I work, go to school, live, and do my internship in four different parts of the city, so I'm glad I have it.

Like I said, feel free to ask any questions on what parts are good, what parts to stay away from, anything you want to know.