Philadelphia Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JennaB4MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me anything about MCP Hanneman (sp?), Penn, or Jefferson? I want to apply to maybe one or two schools in Philly, but I am having trouble deciding between these.....

Members don't see this ad.

When I was at Hahnemann, it seemed pretty nice. The facility itself is pretty new, and they were really touting their technology. The students were also quite friendly. And the curriculum is pretty modern (with PBL and that whole bit).

The downsides: cost (it is a private school), and while the area immediately surrounding the school isn't bad, once you get a few blocks away, you're in an area that I woudn't really want to be out in after dark. Also, the hospital is ~20-30 min away in downtown Philly, so that could be a hassle, I suppose.

Also, I notice you didn't mention Temple, which is also in Philly. I didn't apply there, so I can't say anything about it, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

It really depends on your stats!

I would never put Penn in the same sentence with MCP.

Jeff is very nice, but many of there spots going to "The Jefferson Family." If you know someone there then you should apply.

MCP is nice but many Penn Residents use it as a backup. I got a rejection letter stating that they had 9,000 apps.

Most of the Penn schools get huge number of applications. So it is very difficult if you don't have great stats and you don't come from Penn.

Temple from what I heard from my fellow pre-meds at my University is great but again it is not in a nice area if you go off campus.

AK

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doc AdamK in 2006:
•It really depends on your stats!

I would never put Penn in the same sentence with MCP. AK•••••I'll be at Penn in the fall but this seems a bit harsh -- to be sure, they're not in the same tier, but how bad can MCP be ?? :confused: