Philadelphia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One problem for me was that every other block is dilapidated and vacant. It's not that encouraging. I hear police presence is too low and I noticed that no one was really walking around after sundown. Many areas are dangerous compared to Boston/NY/LA and it's very easy to inadvertantly walk into those dangerous areas.

It does seem to be convenient to get to "recreational areas", if you mean restaurants and bars. I saw some strip clubs too if that's what you meant. Since a huge bulk of the population is comprised of students anyway, I bet you'll fit right in.

Where did you go when you were in Philadelphia? I go to Jeff, and there's always people walking around at night. And I've never seen any strip clubs around. There are a some gay bars around campus, but no strip clubs. And I haven't seen that many dilapidated or vacant blocks near where I go to school.

The thing is - each med school in Philadelphia is located in a fairly unique and distinct neighborhood. I've seen Temple and Penn students studying in certain parts of the city, but interacting with them is pretty rare, because our schools are so widely spaced apart. So, just asking "What's Philadelphia like?" is going to get you a huge variety of answers, based on where we go to school.

Members don't see this ad.

hahahaha sarcasm predicated on a poor assumption...I pity you!

But I will keep you informed of how my application process progresses for this upcoming cycle...since this will be my first time, do you have any tips...oh whoops I should not have made an assumption either...gee those assumptions sure are pointless...:rolleyes:

riceman, i don't know why you disdain philly so much. i'm willing to bet that you will apply to philadelphia medical schools even though you seem to hate philly. as a relatively new penn alum, i have to say that i love my penn education and the philadelphia experience. i think philadelphia has a lot to offer. Hailing from L.A., I initially disliked philly. but the reality is that first impressions aren't always right. I'm telling you, philly has something for everyone.

i love philly and encourage people to apply broadly. in the end, follow your heart, contact schools, meet students, ask a lot of questions etc.

sometimes, should take the opinions of sdn members with a gain of salt. what sucks for someone might be fitting for you. in other words, i love philly even though riceman hates philly. we're just two different people with vastly different experiences and preferences.