Philadelphia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobears2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have an interview at Drexel in a few weeks...but I keep reading in the newspaper and on the internet about Philadelphia's crime rate and youth violence. It's a little unnerving, so I was wondering if anyone who has lived or studied in Philadelphia has any input on it. Is Drexel in a bad part of the city (the med school, NOT the undergrad campus)? Are there areas that I should avoid? I will be staying at Holiday Inn near there and it seems like a decent hotel.

Sorry if I sound paranoid, I just don't know much about the area.​

Members don't see this ad.

So I have an interview at Drexel in a few weeks...but I keep reading in the newspaper and on the internet about Philadelphia's crime rate and youth violence. It's a little unnerving, so I was wondering if anyone who has lived or studied in Philadelphia has any input on it. Is Drexel in a bad part of the city (the med school, NOT the undergrad campus)? Are there areas that I should avoid? I will be staying at Holiday Inn near there and it seems like a decent hotel.

Drexel Med campus is in a nicer part of Philly...pretty quiet...but the weird thing about pretty much every part of Killadelphia is that if you travel a few blocks in a direction you will USUALLY run into a bad area.

Which Holiday-Inn are you staying at? I don't know of one up there near Queen Lane.

Drexel Med campus is in a nicer part of Philly...pretty quiet...but the weird thing about pretty much every part of Killadelphia is that if you travel a few blocks in a direction you will USUALLY run into a bad area.

Which Holiday-Inn are you staying at? I don't know of one up there near Queen Lane.

Yeah, its sad. I take Belmont Ave to avoid the Surekill and its nice nice nice, BAM!, where the hell am I?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I lived in philly for about 6 years. If you're in the city limits, don't go outside after dark.

Edit: Lived in downtown area.

the weird thing about pretty much every part of Killadelphia is that if you travel a few blocks in a direction you will USUALLY run into a bad area.

avoid the Surekill

Good job kids. Way to be helpful.

Drexel's med school is in a fairly "suburban" part of the city. The hospital is closer to Center City.

Philadelphia has seen an increase in crime and, like most cities, you should always be careful when walking home at night. As long as you don't get careless and don't do really stupid crap, you should be fine, particularly if you're out near Drexel med.

The particularly dangerous parts of Philadelphia are west Philadelphia (a little bit west of Penn, although I hear they're cleaning it up) and north Philadelphia. (I think that parts of north Philadelphia used to be called the "Badlands," so go figure.) My sister did her surgery rotation at Episcopal, which is located in north Philadelphia. (Jefferson students no longer rotate there; Temple students go there now.) It was supposedly the "best" place to do a surgery rotation if you were interested in surgery or emergency med because you saw so much trauma (GSWs, etc.) while on call.

I hate when people talk about places being unsafe and how no one should live there. I lived in New Orleans (before Katrina but still no. 1 for murder in US at the time) for a year and nothing bad ever happened to me. I lived in a shady part of town a few blocks from the Iberville projects too.

Anyways, all you need to do is be smart. If you guys are worried about Temple, I'd be happy if you dropped out and increased my chances. :smuggrin:

I was born in Philly and after living elsewhere for a decade, have been back for the past three years. Honestly, if I end up going to ANY of the philly schools I plan to move near Drexel's Queen Lane campus. That is one of the nicest places to be while still living in the city.

Out of all the med schools, the only one in a shady neighborhood is Temple (see above Badlands reference). You won't be living in that neighborhood unless you are in some sort of dorm, more likely you will live where I live now. My current neighborhood is very hip and somewhat edgy (called Northern Liberties).

You will likely have few problems, unless you do dumb things while a student. You will certainly not have a problem when you come to interview.

People refer to the violence of a city without considering the demographics of the victims. The majority of the murder victims in Philadelphia share the demographic of their perpatrator, that is socioeconomically disadvantaged and predominantly black. Philadelphia is dangerous, but its most dangerous if you are poor and black. This is not to say that you are safe from any kind of crime, but you are (more) unlikely to be killed :]. Its an urban center, be smart and if you get robbed keep your cool and don't take it too personally. Students do get robbed more than occasionally from my experience, but almost all of the robberies are non-violent.

People refer to the violence of a city without considering the demographics of the victims. The majority of the murder victims in Philadelphia share the demographic of their perpatrator, that is socioeconomically disadvantaged and predominantly black. Philadelphia is dangerous, but its most dangerous if you are poor and black. This is not to say that you are safe from any kind of crime, but you are (more) unlikely to be killed :]. Its an urban center, be smart and if you get robbed keep your cool and don't take it too personally. Students do get robbed more than occasionally from my experience, but almost all of the robberies are non-violent.

:laugh:

regardless...the crime rate is higher here than it is in much larger cities

:laugh:

regardless...the crime rate is higher here than it is in much larger cities

Yeah but thats pretty meaningless unless you consider where the violence is taking place specifically and against whom.

I hate when people talk about places being unsafe and how no one should live there. I lived in New Orleans (before Katrina but still no. 1 for murder in US at the time) for a year and nothing bad ever happened to me. I lived in a shady part of town a few blocks from the Iberville projects too.

Anyways, all you need to do is be smart. If you guys are worried about Temple, I'd be happy if you dropped out and increased my chances. :smuggrin:
Not applying to Temple, yet :smuggrin:. I agree with you though. I live in western Philadelphia, on the border of University City, and it honestly isn't bad despite this area's reputation for crime. There really isn't a part of the city that I'm too scared to go to as long as someone is with me. Honestly, if people practice street smarts (using public transit, walking in groups, not walking at 2 in the morning) then there isn't much to be concerned about. I know that we have the highest murder rate in the country; it is startling. But removing yourself from those situations is the best thing to do. I think everyone living in the area should take a street smarts course or be taught how to live in this city at the very least.

Not applying to Temple, yet :smuggrin:. I agree with you though. I live in western Philadelphia, on the border of University City, and it honestly isn't bad despite this area's reputation for crime. There really isn't a part of the city that I'm too scared to go to as long as someone is with me. Honestly, if people practice street smarts (using public transit, walking in groups, not walking at 2 in the morning) then there isn't much to be concerned about. I know that we have the highest murder rate in the country; it is startling. But removing yourself from those situations is the best thing to do. I think everyone living in the area should take a street smarts course or be taught how to live in this city at the very least.

What year are you at penn?

Philly is a strange city, and it has its problems. But remember that plenty of schools (Hopkins, Columbia, Pritzker) aren't in the best neighborhoods of their otherwise decent cities. Jeez, I can't believe I just called Baltimore decent...

What someone said about violence and who is targeted is spot-on. You think you're scared walking around at 11pm in West Philly because you were out late at a party? Think about the people who live there and experience it EVERY DAY of their lives. Just because you live in the rough neighborhood and are the same color as everyone else who lives there doesn't mean you're immune to violence and only want to target rich white kids. Your dangers as a medical student are minimal compared to the people you're taking care of in the hospital.

The exception being Temple, there's no way I would go into that part of town :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Philly is a strange city, and it has its problems. But remember that plenty of schools (Hopkins, Columbia, Pritzker) aren't in the best neighborhoods of their otherwise decent cities. Jeez, I can't believe I just called Baltimore decent...

What someone said about violence and who is targeted is spot-on. You think you're scared walking around at 11pm in West Philly because you were out late at a party? Think about the people who live there and experience it EVERY DAY of their lives. Just because you live in the rough neighborhood and are the same color as everyone else who lives there doesn't mean you're immune to violence and only want to target rich white kids. Your dangers as a medical student are minimal compared to the people you're taking care of in the hospital.

The exception being Temple, there's no way I would go into that part of town :rolleyes:

Agreed. I'm forever walking around to and from classes, the bank, the hospital, etc. Probably not as much as the actual fulltime residents but definitely near. I have never had anything happen (thank God). But I can tell who has been around for a while and who hasn't. The guy or girl that walks up a certain street by him/herself vs. the "good" street is a sure sign of naievete (sp?). Thats just one example, but there are plenty, plenty more things known by the "old" folks in the community vs. the new hot-to-trot college students.

Exactly what I'm talking about. People always talk about the violence in Philly as it relates to student safety almost with disregard for the horrible conditions the COMMUNITY which we are barely a part of (some less than others) has to bear. I find it very egocentric.

I go to USP, not Penn.

Sorry I thought Penn was the only school on the margins of west philly. Believe it or not I didn't even know there is yet another undergraduate school in Philly.

Sorry I thought Penn was the only school on the margins of west philly. Believe it or not I didn't even know there is yet another undergraduate school in Philly.
That's ok... all the big pharma and research companies in the tri-state area know us, along with the medical schools. I guess that is what counts, eh? :p

We're not the trad'l undergrad. Check us out: www.usip.edu.

That's ok... all the big pharma and research companies in the tri-state area know us, along with the medical schools. I guess that is what counts, eh? :p

I certainly didn't mean my comment to be offensive. What I don't know is very unimportant ;]. The website seems interesting. Don't go into pharma though!

Are you staying at the holiday inn on city avenue? That's in a pretty suburban part of the city (ie: city avenue is the dividing line between the counties) & your biggest worry walking around anywhere near there would be bad drivers!

The med school is in a nice part of the city that borders a not nice part of the city. A lot of their students live very near the campus (I just interviewed there, but I live in u-city/west philly) or in East Falls/Manayunk.

If you really want to drive yourself crazy about the crime rate in philly, check out this map. No murders on campus or in the main street manayunk area, at least not in 2006. Seriously though, the crimes against students tend to be thefts, so def get personal property insurance (most renters ins will cover your stuff).

I'm from a very rural area & I'm fairly small woman but I honestly feel safe walking around the city, yes, even after dark! You'll learn from students once you get here where you can & can't go, but don't let the city's reputation keep you from going to school here. Philly is geographically a huge city, crimes tend to happen in pocketed areas. Yeah, it sucks & it's worse than it's been in a while, but I don't feel threatened living here.

The city has it's charms too! Archaic liquor laws mean loads of BYOs, much cheaper dinners out & there's a lot of great food here. The parks are lovely, the wisahickon is only a few blocks from the MD campus. Their hospital is right in center city, only a few blocks from city hall/the shopping districts/everything.

I was VERY impressed with this school.

oops... so enthusiastic about my love of philly i posted twice!

Bless your school for providing HUP with lots of hot pharm girls. :smuggrin:

Are you staying at the holiday inn on city avenue? That's in a pretty suburban part of the city (ie: city avenue is the dividing line between the counties) & your biggest worry walking around anywhere near there would be bad drivers!

I go to school right by that Holiday Inn. It's really safe during the day, but watch where you go at night. I'd also like to add that walking down City Avenue away from I-76 at night, or walking further into West Philadelphia at night is probably not the safest thing to do because I know multiple people who have been mugged at gun or knife point doing so.

Exactly what I'm talking about. People always talk about the violence in Philly as it relates to student safety almost with disregard for the horrible conditions the COMMUNITY which we are barely a part of (some less than others) has to bear. I find it very egocentric.

Many students are aware of the violence that occurs within the COMMUNITY. It is the fact that such violence, regardless of who (or what racial grp) it is between, frequently occurs that makes it so baffling.

Knowing that such a high rate of violence exists within such a small city would make anyone question what the hell is going on and how it might possible affect a student (who might not regularly be subject to such violence).

I certainly didn't mean my comment to be offensive. What I don't know is very unimportant ;]. The website seems interesting. Don't go into pharma though!
I didn't take it that way. Its an ongoing joke that when the name changed from Phila College of Pharmacy and Science to the university status, Univ of the Sciences in Phila, people lost who we were. I've had people claim I went to the "textile" school which is Phila U. Thing is, we've been here since 1821 and if you're not in the right industries you will not know. Hell, there are people from Penn and Drexel that don't even know who we are and we're all inside University City. And don't worry, I'll be submitting my AMCAS and AACOMAS next year, definitely.

hey guys,

I'm spending a night at the Alexander Inn in Center City before meeting up with my Drexel student host the next day. How safe would you say the area is near Alexander Inn (12th St and Spruce St.)? Also, before going to the Inn, I'll be getting off the Amtrak at the 30th St. station. Would the best way to get the from that station to the Inn be a taxi?

thanks

12th and Spruce is a very nice area. The best way to get from 30th Street Station to 12th and Spruce is to take the subway at 30th street and market to 11th street. from there is a short walk to the inn.

hey guys,

I'm spending a night at the Alexander Inn in Center City before meeting up with my Drexel student host the next day. How safe would you say the area is near Alexander Inn (12th St and Spruce St.)? Also, before going to the Inn, I'll be getting off the Amtrak at the 30th St. station. Would the best way to get the from that station to the Inn be a taxi?

thanks

hey guys,

thanks

Taxis aren't a bad idea, walking that wouldn't be the most fun in the world with a suitcase. You could probably take a bus, but it's not worth it.

edit: see above for much better idea, although i wouldn't ride the subway too much after dark. police don't patrol down there.

You should also be able to take a trolley from 30th to 13th, go above ground and walk to 12th and Market. Then head 4 blocks south (Market -->Chestnut-->Walnut-->Locust-->Spruce). I would take the El (subway) over the trolley. The trolleys tend to be extremely cramped depending on the time and you may not be very welcomed with a suitcase. Tokens are ~1.35/one and you shouldn't need more than two if you use public transit. I would get a pack of five so that you have extras if you screw up/come back to the city for more interviews.

Edit: Above is just or the Hotel, not getting to Drexel.

I'm not from the Philly area but I lived/worked there this summer and learned a lot about the city from an outsider point of view. PM me if you'd like to know anything :)

Personally, I loved Philly. Center City is quite nice - it is the edges of Philly that get sketchy.

I am staying at Club Quarters 1628 Chestnut St.. is this a nice area... hotel.. it was on the list from Temple, Drexel and Jefferson. I arrive next sunday the 21st. it was the only week I could get all three done at the same time. I guess I will be just taking a taxi to the schools and from the airport. Never been to philly before, what is there to do? is the area where my hotel safe?

thanks so much you guys, this thread was really helpful :) i've lived in berkeley for four years, and have been around san francisco and oakland, so i figured i would be all right, but i just wanted to make sure. can't wait to check out philly! :)

Many students are aware of the violence that occurs within the COMMUNITY. It is the fact that such violence, regardless of who (or what racial grp) it is between, frequently occurs that makes it so baffling.

Knowing that such a high rate of violence exists within such a small city would make anyone question what the hell is going on and how it might possible affect a student (who might not regularly be subject to such violence).

Philly is hardly a small city, it is the 4th or 5th largest in the US depending on how you count city limits. Students might be aware of the violence in the community in an abstract sense but any time violence is brought up its always "how will this affect me." The violence in Philly is rarely detached from the context of who it is committed by and against. Generally speaking the worst that happens to students is getting robbed. I'm not saying concern for ones safety is invalid though, and Philly can certainly be an intimidating place although its not even close to the most violent city in the US. If you ever want grounds for comparison you can always cross the river and spend some time in Camden.

Philly is hardly a small city, it is the 4th or 5th largest in the US depending on how you count city limits. Students might be aware of the violence in the community in an abstract sense but any time violence is brought up its always "how will this affect me." The violence in Philly is rarely detached from the context of who it is committed by and against. Generally speaking the worst that happens to students is getting robbed. I'm not saying concern for ones safety is invalid though, and Philly can certainly be an intimidating place although its not even close to the most violent city in the US. If you ever want grounds for comparison you can always cross the river and spend some time in Camden.

It is pretty small compared to Los Angeles, NYC, Chi Town, and Houston

I thought Killadelphia had one of the highest murder rates last year.

It is pretty small compared to Los Angeles, NYC, Chi Town, and Houston

I thought Killadelphia had one of the highest murder rates last year.

Its the same just smaller or just bigger than Houston depending on how you measure the limits. Either way, being the 4th or 5th largest city hardly qualifies as being small. Last I checked philly was around 8th in the nation in murder rate, though it could be dated info and the damn murder rate keeps going up. Some notable cities with higher rates when I last researched this were Kansas City, Baltimore and Trenton (I believe).

Philly is big geographically but not as large in terms of population. If we are speaking of population, cities like Houston, Phoenix and Boston are larger. However, the suburbs are quite extensive.

Philly is big geographically but not as large in terms of population. If we are speaking of population, cities like Houston, Phoenix and Boston are larger. However, the suburbs are quite extensive.

Boston proper is tiny and Phoenix proper only passed Philly this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_metropolitan_areas

Wikipedia says Philly has the 6th largest population in its city limits and the 5th largest population in its metro area (it has gone down one place in both since I last checked) and as far as I'm concerned Wikipedia is a conclusive source for anything I'm not publishing :]

I am staying at Club Quarters 1628 Chestnut St.. is this a nice area... hotel.. it was on the list from Temple, Drexel and Jefferson. I arrive next sunday the 21st. it was the only week I could get all three done at the same time. I guess I will be just taking a taxi to the schools and from the airport. Never been to philly before, what is there to do? is the area where my hotel safe?

You'll be near Rittenhouse Square which is probably one of the safest areas in the city, I wouldn't worry about it at all; last year I stumbled around there at all times of night without any trouble (just dont walk by yourself down dark alleys or anything stupid like that). Unless you don't feel like walking you could just take a nice stroll to your interview at Jefferson which is 6 blocks away. As far as things to do, I lived there for a year and one of my favorite things to do was just pick a direction, start walking, and see what I could find. The Reading Terminal Market, Chinatown, & Italian Market are interesting little spots; if you're at all into Classical music check out the free student recitals at the Curtis Institute of Music which is nearby your hotel.

I loved Philadelphia, would love to go back, and am super jealous of your 3 interviews there. Good Luck!

thank you so much.. I am very lucky. I count my blessings everyday. It will be interesting to see them in person...since I have only looked at them on paper. again thank you so much for the information your terrific good luck to you too

btw, this might be helpful after all of your interviews when you're heading back, the SEPTA regional rail has a train that goes directly to the airport. If you go to any of the Center City rail stations (Market East, Suburban, or 30th Street), you can easily access the R1 train that goes to the airport. Tickets can be bought at the station (cheaper) or on the train and I think they're $7 (might be $10). It's a lot cheaper than a taxi and as long as you're going during a semi-typical time (vs. really late at night), it's fairly convenient. Trains come every 1/2 hour. For more info, check out Septa.org. I'm a fan of philly's public transportation.

wow, you can always count on SDN for fast responses. thanks for the advice. I can't wait to explore all the sights in Philly. I actually set aside a day and a half's worth of time just for sightseeing, before and after my Drexel interview. Too bad my interview is in the middle of the work/school week and my fam and friends can't come with me to explore.

I'll probably take that R1 to the airport since I believe the Alexander Inn where i'm staying the night after my interview is pretty close to one of the stops.

Also, any good little places to eat in Center City? Keep in mind I'll be by myself and just want to find a small place to eat and relax a bit, so no fancy restaurants. I want to try an original Philly cheesesteak.

For being in this city for 3 years, I must admit I haven't had a cheesteak experience that is worth raving about. The only one of two steaks I have had was from Jim's on South and 4th. It was good, I enjoyed it a lot. Not sure if I like whiz or provolone more though. I would say if you want to hit up the tourist destination go to Pat's or Geno's. They're in South Philly on 9th, somewhere, not sure, but they both have websites and probably directions to get to them. There is Jim's on South. Tony Luke's is in South Philly I believe, and there is Abner's in West Philly (38th and Spruce or Walnut). I did actually take my parents to Abner's and I was not impressed. I thought I was eating leather :-(. While site seeing I'd definitely check out South Street, Olde City (Independence Hall, etc), Penn's Landing, the Franklin Institute (if you want to drop money), or Rittenhouse square area. There is shopping in Center City, but I doubt you have money left after the application season ;).

For being in this city for 3 years, I must admit I haven't had a cheesteak experience that is worth raving about. The only one of two steaks I have had was from Jim's on South and 4th. It was good, I enjoyed it a lot. Not sure if I like whiz or provolone more though. I would say if you want to hit up the tourist destination go to Pat's or Geno's. They're in South Philly on 9th, somewhere, not sure, but they both have websites and probably directions to get to them. There is Jim's on South. Tony Luke's is in South Philly I believe, and there is Abner's in West Philly (38th and Spruce or Walnut). I did actually take my parents to Abner's and I was not impressed. I thought I was eating leather :-(. While site seeing I'd definitely check out South Street, Olde City (Independence Hall, etc), Penn's Landing, the Franklin Institute (if you want to drop money), or Rittenhouse square area. There is shopping in Center City, but I doubt you have money left after the application season ;).

To be quite honest, the best place to get a steak is any greasy street vendor you might find on the side of the road. The tourist spots (Pat's and Geno's) really aren't worth raving about, unless you love overpaying for moderate quality food. Haven't had one from Jim's but I hear pretty good things. But as far as taste/texture quality, the street vendors consistently beat out the larger establishments in my opinion. Of course, to each his (or her) own.

Surely not as bad as JHU? Homewood campus FTL.

To be quite honest, the best place to get a steak is any greasy street vendor you might find on the side of the road.
I was going to recommend a street vendor but I thought that'd be too unclassy ;). We have a lady named Linda who has a cart on our campus, best food hands down. She's always got 5-15 people waiting on some form of food (at a uni of only ~3000 tops). To the OP, you wouldn't have to travel far to find a street vendor. If you want to do the tourist think, go to Pat's or Geno's like I said. But, if you want real cheesesteaks stick to the carts like rogerwilco recommended. You could always go to Jim's though ;).

I was going to recommend a street vendor but I thought that'd be too unclassy ;). We have a lady named Linda who has a cart on our campus, best food hands down. She's always got 5-15 people waiting on some form of food (at a uni of only ~3000 tops). To the OP, you wouldn't have to travel far to find a street vendor. If you want to do the tourist think, go to Pat's or Geno's like I said. But, if you want real cheesesteaks stick to the carts like rogerwilco recommended. You could always go to Jim's though ;).

There was a vendor named Gul who used to peddle his delicious wares on the BF Parkway a few years ago. He was middle-eastern, and after 9/11 I think he packed up and left.

But there's nothing unclassy about a street vendor cheesesteak:).

If you interview in their center city campus (15 & Vine) you're really close to reading terminal market. Really yummy food of all kinds there-- amish food to cheese steaks. Plus a few decent carts near the hospital in center city. Plus free wireless! It's a great place to just veg & people watch too. I think that's like 13th & Arch (about a block south of vine, two blocks east?). If you catch the r1 in from the airport, you can get off at market east station & you're only a few blocks from reading terminal (i think it's only open for lunch though?)

And suburban station is at 15th & Market, so you can catch the r1 to the airport from there (the r8 local to chestnut hill stops at queens lane, that's a block or so from the med campus) if you're already in center city.

There's a lot of good hole in the wall type places to eat-- chinatown has some really good/cheap places & that's near their hospital too. Near the med school campus um... not so familiar with food plus it's more suburban-ish.

cheesesteak vendors - yum :)

all the philly native's i met said pat's and geno's are the only places to go, but lately i have been hearing that jim's is better - what's up with that?

i second the reading terminal market - it is heaven. however, you will be missing out on some of the heaven as they have a lot of things to buy and cook later (meat, seafood, etc)

*sad face* i miss philly...