Philippines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

PB

Hello,
I thought maybe we could start a discussion on Philippine medical schools. I know there's another message board for the Philippines, but there doesn't seem to be much activity going on there.

Anyway, does anyone know about Davao Medical School? I know about the major schools: U. of the Philippines, U. of the East, and St. Luke's. Are there others that are available for U.S. citizens?

Also, what about the USMLE pass rates for U.S. citizens from med. schools in the Philippines?

hope to hear from someone soon,
PB

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, Philippines has about 20+ medical schools around the country. I can't exactly tell you about each one but I can tell you that there are other schools in the Metro Manila area that are notable. For one there is Univ of Santo Tomas in Sampaloc. Another one is Far Eastern University-NRMF which has just opened their new campus and hospital in Quezon City. I can tell you that there are many foreign students here, not only FilAm but also from other countries. The best way to do research on these schools is through the nearest Philippine consulate from your area.

Hello Adobo! Kamusta ka na? (How are you?) Pinoy ako!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Adobo! Are you from the Philippines like I am?

Hello, I'm interested in studying medicine in the Phillipines but I'm concerned about the prospects of obtaining a residency when I come back to the US. I'm especially concerned about rumors that the US is cutting down the amount of residency space for foreign medical graduates. I'm wondering if anybody else knows about these rumors. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Originally posted by rdac:
Hello, I'm interested in studying medicine in the Phillipines but I'm concerned about the prospects of obtaining a residency when I come back to the US. I'm especially concerned about rumors that the US is cutting down the amount of residency space for foreign medical graduates. I'm wondering if anybody else knows about these rumors. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, it is true! They are either cutting down on
residencies for foreign grads, or making it more difficult
to get them. Some states are not taking foreign grads
anymore! I am in school in Germany, and I talked to
a residency director in the States, and he told me, "You better
get a good USMLE score i.e. around 225, have connections,
and spend as much time in one place in the States doing electives, rotations, etc."
According to him, that was the bottom line if you graduate from
some school outside of the States!

I guess everybody is in the same boat.

Don't mean to sound negative, but that seems to be
the way it is.....

Good luck!

Scattered comments:

It has long been my position is that the Philippines is an excellent choice for pretty much anyone. You simply cannot beat the cost to risk ratio when you are going to medical school for a grand total of about 36K USD--tuition, living, books, everything. And quality is very high--U of Philippines once had LCME. One study I read showed Philippines med edu to be on par with med edu in nations whose development was higher. I think it is U of Santo Tomas that is approved for clerkships in NY. If it is not that one, it is one of the other popular ones--you'll have to research it. Also, St. Lukes has clerkships with Georgetown, but I am not sure of these are just to the top % of the class. Irrespective, you can independently find US selectives. The path through the Philippines to the US is very well worn.

Hello 2004guy! Yes I am also in the Philippines currently in my third year. I posted up a note asking for any information on how I can get a rotation back in the states in my fourth year. I know some of my classmates who are doing all or some of their rotations in various states. I do not know how to go about taking advantage of the opportunity. Would you happen to know?
Originally posted by 2004guy:
Hello Adobo! Are you from the Philippines like I am?

AdoboMD,

Could you tell us of your experiences there in med school in the Philippines and what school you are in. Are you a Fillipino or from elsehwere. It would be very helpful to many readers here. Thanks.

Originally posted by rdac:
I'm concerned about the prospects of obtaining a residency when I come back to the US. I'm especially concerned about rumors that the US is cutting down the amount of residency space for foreign medical graduates.

Go here http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/58749 and Click "View All Messages." Though there is alot of less than valuable comments there, there are some comments that do speak to your question.

Hello Adobo!
I studied at De La Salle University- Emilio Aguinaldo College in Dasmarinas, Cavite. I'm starting med school in the U.S. this fall. E mail me!

For all you medical students that plan to study near the university belt, and need a place to stay, please check out www.ubelt.net. It is walking distance to San Beda & FEU and not far from UST and UE. It is very secure as it is located inside the Malacanang Palace compound ( presidential palace ).