Philly hotels

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaos

Web Crawler
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help! Anybody know what's the closest hotel (not bed and breakfast) to Drexel? I guess people are still kind of confused about MCPH changing its name to Drexel, so when I ask, they say it's "right next to the 30th St station." Not!

Oh, and my searches turned up nothing much of help.

Members don't see this ad.

why dont you want to stay at the bed & breakfast? Thats what I was planning on doing.... have you heard bad things?

No, it's just that my interview is on Monday the 28th, and I plan on staying over the weekend and seeing the city.

Members don't see this ad :)
Midtown Holiday Inn Express is just a few of blocks away from Drexel. Its a bit expensive, about a $100 a night, but its very close by.

It also right in the middle of the city, so everything you would want to see in Philly is within walking distance from the Midtown Holiday Inn Express.

Drexel med school is not in midtown. I repeat, is not. It is not in walking distance from any downtown areas or locations. It is a 20-30 minute drive from there. Anyway, I stayed at a motel6 in King of Prussia, PA. they have an internet deal of 47 bucks, so i couldn't pass it up. it's about a 30 minute drive to the school from there. easy drive besides the traffic. only thing is you would have to drive into downtown philly if you wanted to check it out. i read one bad review of the bed and breakfast down the road, but i'm sure it's a good enough place if you're looking for convenience.
Drexel interview is real nice - low stress. enjoy.

But it doesn't matter, I guess. I'd like to find a hotel close to a train station so I could just hop on a train to the med school. I was told it's close to a station.

Yeah, the hotel is about 2 blocks away from the City Hall stop.

Originally posted by jbsnapple
Anyway, I stayed at a motel6 in King of Prussia, PA. they have an internet deal of 47 bucks, so i couldn't pass it up.

As an added bonus, you could swing by King of Prussia mall, which supposedly is the 2nd largest after the Mall of America.

I'm also interviewing on the 28th, and I got a room at the Adams Mark Hotel. On the map it seem really close (about a mile) and it only costs $89 a night.

Like I said before, last April I stayed at the Holiday Inn on Presidential Avenue/City Line. It's pretty close to Drexel Med, *and* they provided free transportation (tip aside) to the school on interview day. :) The ride only took something like 10 minutes. For pure convenience, you won't get much better. The only catch is that it's definitely not downtown. You'd have to take a Septa bus for 20-30 minutes to get there, I think no. 38. The bus stop is right in front of the hotel though, so it's certainly feasible. btw, the Adams Marks hotel mentioned above is almost right next to this Holiday Inn but I'm pretty sure Holiday was slightly less expensive...

If you're set on being downtown and taking the R8 regional rail train to the interview, then I'd suggest something adjacent to Market East station on 8th and Market since it's closest to the historic areas. :) btw - City Hall is a subway stop, NOT a train stop (though Suburban station's not too far away). There's absolutely no subway line near Drexel Med.

Finally, 30th St. station where you'll get off Amtrak is sort of middle ground - not downtown but the closest train stop to Queen Lane (forget North Philly), and there's a subway line that goes all along Market Street (you'll want the eastbound direction to get downtown).

Hope this helps, you can PM me if you have questions. btw, here's a link to the R8 route. Again, I really don't know how far you'd have to walk along Queen Lane from the train stop...but I don't imagine it'd be that much.

http://www.septa.org/schedule.cgi?route=r8n&day=1

Bus no 38 route:
http://www.septa.org/schedule.cgi?route=38&day=1

Thanks a lot for the info. I think I'll be going either for the Sheraton (University City) or with the Holiday Inn that you all are talking about. ;)

First, I go to school at Drexel (the post-bacc program) and if you are interviewing at the medical school, don't take the R8. You can, but, why not take the Drexel shuttle that goes from the Hannemann Hospital and downtown campus to the Queen Lane campus (Medical School).

As far as seeing Philly, it depends what you want to spend. If you want to see Philly, then stay downtown and it will probably be more expensive. If you end up going to school at Drexel, I doubt you will live downtown as it is a commute, but some do it. Drexel also gives you the option of living in Stiles Alumni Hall in downtown Philly. It is an apartment-like building which is located at the shuttle stop.

I wouldn't stay at the Univerisy City Shearaton unless you want to see Penn's campus, but it is up to you. PM me if you have questions....I would be more than happy to talk with you on the phone.

Best of luck with the invite and cheers,
WISC-ite

I used to work at the Queen Lane Campus, and if I were you (and if I get an interview-- I hope I hope), I would take advantage of the free shuttle and stay at the Holiday Inn. Sure you can stay downtown and take the R8 in (train stop is right near the campus--listen to Lara's advice about where to stay.), but why mess with train schedules when you're already stressed about interviews? ;) The Sheraton in University City is NOT near Queen Lane, although it is near Penn.

If you want to go downtown, take the SEPTA R8. I practically lived on the R8 when I lived in Philly.

Eat a cheesesteak sandwhich for me while you're there. You just can't get a good cheesesteak in NC. GOOD LUCK!! :D