Philly living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impatiently waiting

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are good areas to live in Philadelphia that are close to downtown but are in more of a community setting? I'm talking about apartments not houses by the way. Thanks for your help -

Members don't see this ad.

There are actually a lot of options in Philadelphia, depending on what you're looking for, and where you are going to be...

If you don't want to live in the heart of Center City, but still want to be in the city, try the Art Museum area or Northern Liberties. Both are on the borders of Center City, but you can get bigger places for less $$ and parking is a little easier.

If you're looking to actually escape the city, check out East Falls, Manayunk and Roxborough. All 3 are about 10-20 minutes from the heart of the city and are considered "suburban" Philadelphia. Very convenient to Temple, PCOM, and Drexel. There are a lot of apartment complexes in these areas, and a nice 1 bedroom will run about $600-$700. Having a roommate brings the cost down considerably, as you can get a really nice 2 bedroom for $800-$1000.

These areas are also nice b/c a lot of students and young professionals call them home. Manayunk has a lot of cool bars and restaurants, so you don't have to drive into the city to go out.

I've actually lived in Roxborough for the past 4 years and am now moving into the city. If you want more info on the areas or specific buildings in suburbia, let me know.

You should look into University City - west of UPenn and Drexel. I've been living there for 6 years, and I think it's a great area. You can find large apartments for not a lot of money, and you are only a 5-10 minute trolley ride into center city. The area gets a bad rap, but it has improved a lot over the last several years. Send me a PM if you want more info.

I lived in Olde City while I was in med school. It's the area north of second and market. It's got lots of good bars, places to eat and so forth. Rents were going up when I left but it was a really cool place to live.

Olde City has gotten REALLY expensive. I'm looking with a roomie right now, and we can't find a 2 BR for less than $1500 in Olde City. Also, parking is a bear in that area... but, its a fun place to go out!

I loved Mount Airy-way cheaper but very cool neighborhood