Philosophy Major needed: Rosalind Franklin 2ndary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Duckwizard

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've written 4 introductions for this essay! None of which particularly like. How do you approach this essay without sounding too corny?! Anyone else struggling? Oh well, round 5, lets do it! :D

-Life in Discovery-

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: I am going to try to bang (heh) something out tonight. I am like, whatever. Your thread title did make me f-ing crack up. Good one.

jackieMD2007 said:
:laugh: I am going to try to bang (heh) something out tonight. I am like, whatever. Your thread title did make me f-ing crack up. Good one.

haha dang jackie, I JUST posted this. Do you have a RSS feeder for SDN on your browser or something?! haha :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Duckwizard said:
haha dang jackie, I JUST posted this. Do you have a RSS feeder for SDN on your browser or something?! haha :laugh:

me n jackie are pros at clicking refresh on SDN.

and man.. i haven't even started RFU yet. just finished albany today.

Baby, I'm everywhere. No, I don't use RSS. I am procrastinating on this RFU hardcore. I also have really awesome SDN skillz.

Robizzle said:
me n jackie are pros at clicking refresh on SDN.

and man.. i haven't even started RFU yet. just finished albany today.

*high five* Damn, skippy. Watch & learn, noob. Watch & learn. Respek. :D

jackieMD2007 said:
*high five* Damn, skippy. Watch & learn, noob. Watch & learn. Respek. :D

lol.. mad newbs this week jackie! we gotta hold it down and ... answer their questions the best we can :D . i've been tempted so many times to say something smart but then i think bout back in the day when i asked my "how much postage do we need for secondaries" LOL

i sent RFU in on monday and i have already blocked out what i wrote. great coping mechanism.

I've finished all my 24 applications. Rosalind Franklin is my last one! I hate brainstorming for this essay!! I get nowhere.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Duckwizard said:
I've finished all my 24 applications. Rosalind Franklin is my last one! I hate brainstorming for this essay!! I get nowhere.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

What's the essay question?

EDIT: Oh, in re: the thread title, MA in Philosophy, Ph.D. in Medical Ethics.

Quix said:
What's the essay question?

At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a Life in Discovery means to you.

Duckwizard said:
At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a Life in Discovery means to you.

Life in Discovery to me means watching Dirty Jobs, Survivorman, Trading Spaces and American Chopper. That Mike Rowe really is a hoot! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Johnny_one_eye said:
I posted this back when the essay first came out, but have you checked out this page to help you brainstorm?:
http://www.lifeindiscovery.com/lifeindiscovery/index.html

It's kind of like Pritzker's 3rd essay. "How do you fit into their mission statement" is how I approached it.

Yeah. I've looked that that page. I guess it's just the journalism in me that wants the essay to have a twist to it. I just didn't want to regurgitate back their mission statement. But if I dont think of anything soon, I will! haha. Thanks though!

Johnny_one_eye said:
I posted this back when the essay first came out, but have you checked out this page to help you brainstorm?:
http://www.lifeindiscovery.com/lifeindiscovery/index.html

It's kind of like Pritzker's 3rd essay. "How do you fit into their mission statement" is how I approached it.

Yep, that's the first thing that came up when I searched the term. I'd focus on these two examples:

RF said:
Imagine a center of learning that is as innovative as the future demands, where interdisciplinary healthcare teams learn, teach, and practice together for the benefit of the whole patient. Where researchers work to uncover the very secrets of life through genomic and proteomic information that enables predictive and preventive medicine.

Where inner strength, in concert with clinical care skills, makes a true difference in the health and well-being of those we serve. Where we give back to the community, nurturing those around us for the good of all.

and

RF said:
We extend our mission beyond the classrooms and the laboratories, to places where we can improve mankind through outstanding clinical programs and community service -- to places where we can make a difference.

Soooo...

How do you plan to change the world?

i looked to see what i did....i just kinda wrote about things i have discovered and how i discovered them and how i can always discover or something like that. sounds better actually in the essay. i read their mission statement but def. didn't just spit it back out for them

same secondary essay as last year...

I think I wrote about how I always seek to explore new opportunities. I pointed out how my ECs had a evolutionary nature to them and go back quite a while.

Does anyone else find it helpful to have at least one alcoholic bevrage in them when writing secondaries?

I doubt they actually use this stupid essay in their admission decisions... I bet they just wanted to see if we would actually put effort into it at all.

Depakote said:
same secondary essay as last year...

I think I wrote about how I always seek to explore new opportunities. I pointed out how my ECs had a evolutionary nature to them and go back quite a while.

Does anyone else find it helpful to have at least one alcoholic bevrage in them when writing secondaries?

Yep, you're not alone on that one! It's especially helpful if you think it's a really bull**** essay topic, or if you need to dramatically shorten an essay you've written... Funny how a little bit of whiskey makes it easier to let go of phrases you've written and liked... :laugh:

zimmie256 said:
Yep, you're not alone on that one! It's especially helpful if you think it's a really bull**** essay topic, or if you need to dramatically shorten an essay you've written... Funny how a little bit of whiskey makes it easier to let go of phrases you've written and liked... :laugh:

i totally second that.

spospo said:
i sent RFU in on monday and i have already blocked out what i wrote. great coping mechanism.

Agreed. I did the same thing. RFU secondary? what?

Yes! Almost done with this essay! I'm so glad this is my last secondary!

P.S. I absolutely hate my essay though. One of the worst ones I've written thus far. I don't even think it answers the prompt. haha oh well.

Those little ankle-biter essays annoy me. They clearly won't make any difference in the bigger scheme of things- why do they even bother?
Maybe comic relief for the adcoms...

Duckwizard said:
Yes! Almost done with this essay! I'm so glad this is my last secondary!

P.S. I absolutely hate my essay though. One of the worst ones I've written thus far. I don't even think it answers the prompt. haha oh well.