Philosophy publication...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PuKcAo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much do you think it would help me if I were to get published in an undergraduate philosophy journal( I'm a philosophy major)? also how much does it help to graduate from the honors college?

Members don't see this ad.

well, from what i get from the past posters, research in the basic sciences will do the most good. research in philosophy is an interesting note, but still not as good as research in sciences. and plus, having it published in an undergrad journal really says nothing.

and honors means nothing either.

Members don't see this ad :)
PuKcAo said:
How much do you think it would help me if I were to get published in an undergraduate philosophy journal( I'm a philosophy major)? also how much does it help to graduate from the honors college?

u mean graduating with honors in the philosophy dept? that should set you apart. but i wouldnt focus on this in my personal statement.

i too had a philosophy pub. i got asked about it in every interview. it certainly is unique when everyone else has been doing basic science research.

as far as the research goes, (and this is straight from adcom members) it doesn't matter what field it is in - philosophy, chemistry, biology, physics, sociology. what matters is that you have demonstrated a commitment to research. while it is certainly more common to have a research background in bio or chem, it will still look good to have any research experience.

graduating from the honors college is yet another way to distinguish yourself from the masses. not a huge deal, but certainly worth mentioning. as an added bonus, i found it much easier to get letters of rec from my honors professors (and the letters were much more thoughtful).

So, I decided to use the search function and came across a thread with my same question. Yay.

I am majoring in neuroscience (B.S.) and history & philosophy of science (B.A.) As far as research goes, I have been working on a project based in strict neuroanatomy for 2+ years, which I will present shortly and have a 2nd author pub on. My question is, what about a philosophy publication?

This summer, and beyond, I have the unique opportunity to work with a philosophy proff who focuses on the cognitive sciences. He and I will work on a project I proposed studying the neurophilosophy of perception. I certainly enjoy the topic, no doubt. But what I want to know is, should I push this project to the point of being eligible for publication?

It will take a lot of time and effort, and I am kind of anxious about how non-science research is perceived. Really though, it is a topic at the bridge between my two majors, and I think it will be a lot of fun.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

So, I decided to use the search function and came across a thread with my same question. Yay.

I am majoring in neuroscience (B.S.) and history & philosophy of science (B.A.) As far as research goes, I have been working on a project based in strict neuroanatomy for 2+ years, which I will present shortly and have a 2nd author pub on. My question is, what about a philosophy publication?

This summer, and beyond, I have the unique opportunity to work with a philosophy proff who focuses on the cognitive sciences. He and I will work on a project I proposed studying the neurophilosophy of perception. I certainly enjoy the topic, no doubt. But what I want to know is, should I push this project to the point of being eligible for publication?

It will take a lot of time and effort, and I am kind of anxious about how non-science research is perceived. Really though, it is a topic at the bridge between my two majors, and I think it will be a lot of fun.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Like the others said: nothing wrong with a non-science pub. Certainly a nice credential.
Full steam ahead.

PS: rezpekt for using the search function. :thumbup: