Phlebotomy course?!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Rhys, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Rhys

Rhys Member

Hi everyone! Has anyone here taken a phlebotomy course? I'm anxious to find one so that I can work as a phlebotomist to gain some medical experience. And, since sticking a needle into somebody's vein is the number one thing I'm absolutely dreading in a future medical career, I figured the sooner I get over it, the better!

Now, how does one find a phlebotomy course? I've checked all our community and four-year colleges--no courses in the subject whatsoever! There must be one somewhere...can you sign up at a hospital or something? As always, any advice appreciated--thank you!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Spang

Spang SDN Angel

Rhys:

I did just that. The hospital I volunteered at offers an in-house class, either live or via CD=ROM then, I just went around with an experienced person and did 30+ blood draws under supervision.

I make $10.00/hr and its great patient contact experience.

I'd check with the human resources departments of your local hospital. Even with the economic downturn there's still lots of vacant jobs, especially in the lower end of health care.

Best of luck.

4. Gotrob

Gotrob Member

Attending Physician
    I was hired at a local hospital, they gave me two weeks of paid training, and now I work about 2 days a week as a phleb. Great job, great exp. and it pays better than volunteering.

good luck

5. styphon

styphon Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Damn New york state to hell..Here, as I understand you need a Associates in Phlebotomy to work in hospitals/clinics.

6. vixen

vixen I like members

are you sure about that styphon?

7. styphon

styphon Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Ohhh I read it again..They call it a "certificate program" and its only 1 year.

8. Glory

Glory New Member

I took a 6 week certification at a local community college, but I hear the training is good at hospitals and labs too. It was the best class I've taken so far, we stuck each other before we had to stick sick people...we had much healthier/easier veins. Anyways, the opportunities are excellent, I've always been able to find a job with perfect student hours :)

9. Rhys

Rhys Member

Just found out one hospital in town offers a course; it costs $300.00 and last for 8 weeks, Mon-Fri, 8 to 5. Yikes!!! Apparently you can have no life at the same time...I really want to do this but those hours make going to school or work at the same time impossible. Shoot.