Phlebotomy Course?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rhys

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Has anyone here taken a phlebotomy course? I'm anxious to find one so that I can work as a phlebotomist to gain some medical experience. And, since sticking a needle into somebody's vein is the number one thing I'm absolutely dreading in a future medical career, I figured the sooner I get over it, the better!

Now, how does one find a phlebotomy course? I've checked all our community and four-year colleges--no courses in the subject whatsoever! There must be one somewhere...can you sign up at a hospital or something? As always, any advice appreciated--thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

i took a phlebotomy course. it's really easy. where do you live? if you live in cali look up center for health education. they travel to different places and teach. good luck and dont worry it's a lot of fun especially when patients call you doctor in your white lab coat ;)

rhys,
The phleb. course i took was a two day thing. 16 hours. www.bostonreed.com. I dont think theyre in your area though, but maybe something like that is. I love it so far, im making house calls with a physician full time, and i make about 5 sticks a day. Some of the old people are really hard though. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey sproggin,
Two days???? Is it real? Do you get a cali certificate afterwards? Is it the same value as a course at a community college that is a semester long?

Check with A Lab service in your area. You can find them at a hospital or you can ask at a nursing home. I do Phlebotomy work for Gamma Labs here in St. Louis and never took a course. I went with the Lab manager a couple times and then started working. (hope and poke at first but I got better with practice) :D

lady in red,
yup 16 hours. My certificate said "..completed phleb. training course" blah blah blah. I dont know if its enough to work in a hospital but it was enough for my job. I dont think it matters though, cause its field experience that really teaches you. You dont get the real hard sticks unitl then.