1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Phlebotomy

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Charlie, Dec 28, 1999.

1. Charlie

Charlie Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I was just wondering if hospitals offer on the job training for phlebotomists. If they do, how long does the training last? I thought that this would be a good way to get some clinical experience.

Thanks,
    Charlie

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Lennox

Lennox Member
    10+ Year Member

Charlie,

I took at weekend course at Highland Hospital taught by Boston Reed. They are in Saint Helena, CA, but I don't remember their phone number. However, you'll need a LOT of practice after the class is over. It's hard to find the vein on certain people, so expect to volunteer in a clinic for a few months--several hours per week--in order to master it.

Good luck,

Dave

4. docflanny

docflanny Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Charlie,

Being a phlebotomist can be a great job for introducing you to patient care and performing invasive procedures. Some phlebotomy jobs require formal training programs and others have on-the-job training. I was a phlebotomist at a hospital in Michigan for a year and a half. The training program consisted of probably 30 hours of varying levels of responsibility. For example, the first days I just watched another phlebotomist observing their techniques. As time passed I was encouraged to try some of the larger veins. Gradually, you become more confident in your ability and your on your own after being "checked-out" by a supervisor.

Overall to become very good as a phlebotomist all you really need is about two months of trying a variety of patients. It's a great job to get into a hospital-setting with. Good luck in your search.

------------------
    Matt Flannigan
    MSU Class of 2004

5. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Charlie,

I could help but write about your inquiry.

I am currently a second year at WesternU/COMP and I also work as a phlebotomist on-call. It has been very challenging to do both, but I would say it definitely helps especially before you do clinicals (which I will begin next year)

In clinicals, you do a lot of H&P and assessment/planning as a medical student, but there are still the medical skills to try and perfect(setting up IVs or drawing blood).

I know in the future you will not do most of that because of great allied help out there, but you should be able to draw blood, etc.. with confidence, especially as a doctor

For example, in our blood/RE course earlier this year we had to draw each other's blood in lab. I was amazed at a lot of my classmates rxns when they knoew they had to do it.

As a future physician, you should not only be skilled in diagnosing and taking H&Ps, but also be able to do other medical skills instantly. Again, thats just my opinion [​IMG]

GOOD LUCK & Let me know how it works out!! [​IMG]

Rob
    WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

6. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I live on Long Island in NY, and am very interested in phlebotomy....anyone know of any opportunities on the Island??

E-Mail me....

7. DocA

DocA Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi,
    I would like to get trained in phlebotomy. Anyone know of a place in south Florida?
    Please let me know. Thanks

8. Charlie

Charlie Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I really appreciate it. I think I'll try to give it a whirl if I can find the time.

Thanks again!
    Charlie

9. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Actually you're right, baylor21....!!!

There are a lot of hospitals that are giving phlebotomy resposibilites to nurses. WHY? It all boils down to money & budget cuts.

It just depends on the hospital & how well its doing. I work as a phlebotomist on-call & all I do is draw blood from infants to elderlies when they need lab tests.

The hospital I work at in southern cali has a pretty bug lab so we get a lot of patients daily.

Did you watch that story on I believe 20/20 where some hospitals are hiring anyone off the streets calling them PSA's (Patient support attendants). They are allowed to do the types of work nurses & other trained/certified personal are doing.

Its horrifying!!! Again, it boils down to money. If a hospital hires an RN for $25/hr, they think someone else w/ NO experience or education can do the same job for $8/hr. Its all about costs in their eyes rather than people's safety.

Phlebotomy positions at most hospitals require that you have atleast 6mo-1yr acute care drawing experience (usually you can only get that from doc's offices or red cross volunteer because they would take anyone who can help). If you needed lab work done one day, would you have someone who just finished a weekend course in plebotomy to draw your blood? YEAH, RIGHT!!!!

Rob
    WesternU/COMP CLass of 2002

10. Lennox

Lennox Member
    10+ Year Member

"If you needed lab work done one day, would you have someone who just finished a weekend course in plebotomy to draw your blood? YEAH, RIGHT!!!! "

If this is in reference to my statement above, please recall that I did mention that a weekend course was only the beginning. You make a point to emphatically denounce people educated with just weekend courses as being unqualified--a point that I made quite well enough.

And why don't you try to at least spell "phlebotomy" correctly before you mount another assualt on someone's post...

[This message has been edited by Lennox (edited 01-18-2000).]

11. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Lennox or Dave.....First of all, I was not replying to you directly OR AT ALL!!! That's why I initially addressed my post, "Actually, you're right baylor21". Is your name Baylor21? I don't think so!!!

Secondly, I never meant to denouce folks who took weekend phlebotomy courses-You are writing to one right now!!! YES, I too took a weekend phlebotomy course & graduated w/ a BS in Medical Technology. I worked in the lab for quite some time & like you said in your posts, the hospitals will not hire anyone (esp one who just got a weekend course w/out acute care experience) to work in the lab. If YOU were the ACTUAL PATIENT needing blood tests, would you like to have someone WHO HAS NEVER drawn blood practice on you. YEAH, RIGHT!!!!

I, on the other hand, TOOK a weekend course just like YOU, garned my experience & am VERY GOOD in drawing blood.

I am furious that you drew those kinds of conclusions from my posts when I WASN'T EVEN ADDRESSING YOU & THATS THE TRUTH IN TODAYS MEDICAL WORLD ESP IN THE LAB.

I may have mispelled a word here & there, but that's RUDE to respond to me that way when all I was trying to do was HELP & POINT OUT THE FACTS!!! I fail to see you giving out some advice on the board!!!

By the way, WHAT ARE YOU DOING THESE DAYS WITH YOUR WEEKEND PHLEBOTOMY (satisfied?) CERTIFICATE?

Rob

12. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Baylor21....(NOT Lennox or Dave),

I just want to make sure someone got that straight before HE starts jumping to concusions....

You can try and garn your phlebotomy experiences from doctor's offices & check out some Red Cross sites. Those are usually the best route to practice & accumulate length of experiences because hospitals won't take you unless you have been drawing blood for a while.

My advice is to check doctor's offices first because they may be a sure bet to get hired as a phleb w/out experience yet. Good luck to you!!! [​IMG]

Rob