phone call of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhettoric

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working for over a year at a physical therapy clinic as an aide. I truly love the work there, and I have grown very close to the small staff. My boss is very enthusiastic about my medical school apps and, in addition to writing a rec letter, has said she would love to call anyone appropriate to recommend me. I think that, while beneficial, letters can lose a great deal of their impact by the simple volume of competition and the generally loose praise contained in all letters (think grade inflation, but for flattering rhetoric). In contrast, a personal conversation could speak volumes more.

In the coming weeks I will be having several interviews. Should I have her call my interviewers? the admissions office? members of the ad-com? I am only thinking of asking her to call my top choices, because, like the letters, too much use would negate its effectiveness. Still, I'd like to know the best means to use this new opportunity.

Members don't see this ad.

While I think it's wonderful that your boss is so supportive and enthusiastic, I don't think that this is a good idea. Phone calls on your behalf are not appropriate (unless, for example, the recommender has a personal or professional relationship with the person on the other end).

I definitely agree w/ ladywolverine. While it might be helpful, it would certainly come off as unusual (and not in a good way I don't think). Thank your boss, but politely decline her invitation to call you interviewers.