Phone calls by the attendings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sungkwon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I had a question on phone calls made by the attendings...I know that these can help tremendously(I heard one guy from my school did not even get an interview at one of top programs but after the chief of surgery at the school made a phone call he ended up not only getting the interview but matching there!). I was wondering if you guys know when these are done? For example, are these done before interviews to lend a interview spot or after to lend you a ranking position at the program. Also would it matter if not a well-known attending makes a phone call for you? Thanks for your help...

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard it being requested, but I do know students for whom phone calls were made and they helped tremendously. But the surgeon who made the call was really well known in the field and called the PD at another program (the students first choice) who was his good friend from med school and residency.

Random phone calls aren't the norm to my knowledge, but I guess if your attending really wants to go to bat for you they might do it.

calls are usually made after interviews, before rank lists are submitted.

that said, to those of you out there with no intention of having calls made - relax, it can work without. i did not have anyone make calls for me. and i matched very well. so if you do not do it, it is not the kiss of death.

also, i have heard of PDs calling your letter writers, chairman, etc. to ask about you. but again, all programs are different.

the truth is that academic surgery is a small world, so if you have the seal of approval in any form (LOR, phone call, etc.) from a big cheese, it can make a world of difference.

i have not heard of anyone making calls prior to interviews.

sungkwon said:
Hey guys, I had a question on phone calls made by the attendings...(I heard one guy from my school did not even get an interview at one of top programs but after the chief of surgery at the school made a phone call he ended up not only getting the interview but matching there!). I was wondering if you guys know when these are done? For example, are these done before interviews to lend a interview spot or after to lend you a ranking position at the program.

Yeah, this happens. I got an interview that way.

sungkwon said:
Also would it matter if not a well-known attending makes a phone call for you? Thanks for your help...

Yes. It's not about how well known they are in general. To get you an interview the surgeon has to have a personal connection with the program. i.e he trained there or he and the PD were residents together.

BTW, I didn't much like the program once I actually got to see it. I matched to my first choice at a program where I had no connections.