Photo=plain passport style or unique background?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mango6110

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok the title pretty much explains it...which one did u guys submit....i read the other posts but most of them were jokes...

Members don't see this ad.

mango6110 said:
Ok the title pretty much explains it...which one did u guys submit....i read the other posts but most of them were jokes...

I took mine in front of some really cool shower curtains.

to be honest, I cant see a picture influencing an admissions decision in a positive way "oh he/she looks good" - but I can see how it could maybe have a negative affect "is his hair blue?"

so with that in mind just go conservative and play it safe....plain passport style works just fine...

Members don't see this ad :)
The photo is supposed to look professional. I wouldn't touch the "unique background" with a 10 foot pole...

JumpingGenes said:
The photo is supposed to look professional. I wouldn't touch the "unique background" with a 10 foot pole...

agreed. :thumbup:

I just used a normal white background. My fat head took up most of the picture. So even if you decide to be different, it probably won't matter too much. Just make sure you look nice :)

yikes! i didnt' even use a white background.. i used the scenery of my backyard so it's all green bushes in the background... oh, and i wore a polo shirt :rolleyes:

JumpingGenes said:

says who? they will see you in a suit on interview day. they are just trying to get a face to go with the application. the only picture that i would consider unprofessional would be a drinking picture. other than that, who cares, i'm not applying to mortuary school.

I'm going to go with the laser lights background, like the ones you could get in your school pictures in 6th grade! :laugh:

Dr Turninkoff said:
says who? they will see you in a suit on interview day. they are just trying to get a face to go with the application. the only picture that i would consider unprofessional would be a drinking picture. other than that, who cares, i'm not applying to mortuary school.

In the application directions, they say they want a 2 x 2 "Passport Style" photo. Passport photos have a plain background, always, otherwise they are not considered acceptable - patterned backgrounds are visually distracting. If you think about it, this is the first impression they will have of you, as the photo normally arrives before you do. They will be comparing you to others at that point and through the entire process, and most people are highly visual, due to the massive amount of sensory neurons devoted to sight. Just something to think about...

JumpingGenes said:
In the application directions, they say they want a 2 x 2 "Passport Style" photo. Passport photos have a plain background, always, otherwise they are not considered acceptable - patterned backgrounds are visually distracting. If you think about it, this is the first impression they will have of you, as the photo normally arrives before you do. They will be comparing you to others at that point and through the entire process, and most people are highly visual, due to the massive amount of sensory neurons devoted to sight. Just something to think about...
the photo thing is meaningless as long as the pic isnt of you doing a kegstand. just take a nice photo and print the sucker out. it dont matta.

JumpingGenes said:

really, all of mine just say "attach photo here, optional". besides, distraction is relative. i'd be more distracted by a guy with three eyes in a passport photo than a normal person with a non-shower-curtain background.

IndyZX said:
the photo thing is meaningless as long as the pic isnt of you doing a kegstand. just take a nice photo and print the sucker out. it dont matta.

damn! is there any way to intercept mail so I can change the picture of my frat bro's holding me up over a keg?

IndyZX said:

i dont know about you, but i rather just follow directions and take a regular passport photo. i mean, is it that hard to do so?

Mine has the laser effects in the background like the school pics did in 5th grade. :thumbup:

mcjay said:
Mine has the laser effects in the background like the school pics did in 5th grade. :thumbup:

that has already been suggested. look above. :thumbdown:

Quite honestly, you can do a personal touch to photo with a plain background by wearing your suit/outfit with some special pieces (necklace, tie, earrings..preferably not all on the same person) to accent your appearance. I know my personal characteristic is my curly hair so that's something to stick in their minds! lol

i77ac said:
i dont know about you, but i rather just follow directions and take a regular passport photo. i mean, is it that hard to do so?
no its not hard to do. however, i would think when they say passport photo, they really want a small ~2x2 photo of just you in it (as opposed to someone sending in a 3x5 print or something).

follow directions as best you can, but if you are starting threads about this part of the process, youre worrying too much.