Photographs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medical22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As you all probably know, getting 2" x 2" (passport size) photographs are very expensive. I tried to send one of my photographs to a cheap place to reduce it to a size close to passport size, but they returned my photo saying that they do not crop. I wanted to cover up the background. How are you all getting photos for the secondary applications? I have paid more than enough $ already and do not want to spend much on photos.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to my school's computer lab and scan in a picture. Used photoshop to crop it down to size and printed it out at .40 a page. Now, I fit about 10 pictures per page and printed out 5 pages so a cool 50 pictures printed out via color laser printer (looks great!) for $2.00. Ain't technology great?

Same here medical22 ... i am in such a bad cash crunch that imsending pics i have from a few yrs ago (i still look the same, or at least i think so :p ).....i just trust med schools dont discriminate on how you look like!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by 6-8 Weeks:
•I went to my school's computer lab and scan in a picture. Used photoshop to crop it down to size and printed it out at .40 a page. Now, I fit about 10 pictures per page and printed out 5 pages so a cool 50 pictures printed out via color laser printer (looks great!) for $2.00. Ain't technology great?•

Hey, after you crop a passport size photo onto photoshop, is there a way to create a page of duplicates of those - I mean, just on one page alone? I keep making copies, but the window my photo is in cannot expand, or at least i don't know how. If you can, please help! :)

Just so you know,

I think the adcoms DO judge you based on personal appearance. If you look like you are in the mafia or you look like a thug in your picture, you are going strike the adcoms differently than if you are smiling and clean cut. If your stats are like 42 and 4.0, then maybe it won't affect anything, but if you are more of an average joe...whose to say what they can and can't do....

Cheapest way I've found (non-computer stuff): get 2 passport pics made ($8.00), go to kinkos, most have a new photocopier by kodak just for photographs - copies onto that glossy paper too. Put ONE of the passport pics on, choose to have it 'tile' the pic when it copies (ie. you'll have 4 rows of 3 pictures) and copy ($6.99 here). Total $15 for 14 nice pics. Not as cheap as some, but if you have a nice portrait you want copied, it'll be the cheapest

I had my dad take some pix of me with his digital camera (cost=$0), then I had him email me the pictures (cost=$0). So I opened them up with photoshop and edited out the eyebrow ring and other blemishes (cost=$0) and then printed out the 300 dpi photos duplicated 24 times on one sheet of paper on photo glossy paper (cost for one page of the $10 pack=$0.60). Total cost for all med schools=60 cents.

Andrew

Originally posted by kutastha:
•I had my dad take some pix of me with his digital camera (cost=$0), then I had him email me the pictures (cost=$0). So I opened them up with photoshop and edited out the eyebrow ring and other blemishes (cost=$0) and then printed out the 300 dpi photos duplicated 24 times on one sheet of paper on photo glossy paper (cost for one page of the $10 pack=$0.60). Total cost for all med schools=60 cents.

Andrew•

See - this is my question- How do you duplicate it onto the same piece of paper!? I just used a scanner for the first time today, and my photo is all ready on photoshop. Can someone please do a quick runthrough of this process? thanks so much :)
[email protected]

Originally posted by labrynth79:
•See - this is my question- How do you duplicate it onto the same piece of paper!? I just used a scanner for the first time today, and my photo is all ready on photoshop. Can someone please do a quick runthrough of this process? thanks so much :)
[email protected]

Open up a new doc on photoshop that's 8.5 by 11 inches. Then copy your photo into it and keep duplicating it unitl it fills the page. Merge them all into one layer. Then print it out (at the same 300 dpi you scanned it in), and you have more pix than you'll prolly need for all your secondaries. Any more questions, email me.

Andrew

This is where I'm lucky. I went over to the med school where they do media productions and take incoming med students pictures. They do polaroids (bad coloring) but they also do digital pictures. You pick the one you like and they print a sheet of ten for $8.00!

Are you guys dressing up for these photographs? I just wore a plain colored tee shirt, but I made sure I didn't look like a slob or anything like that.

Originally posted by labrynth79:

Hey, after you crop a passport size photo onto photoshop, is there a way to create a page of duplicates of those - I mean, just on one page alone? I keep making copies, but the window my photo is in cannot expand, or at least i don't know how. please help if you can!•

lab, i imported my TIFF (the scanning program makes it a TIFF file) into photoshop and croped it a little using the CROP tool. Then I saved it as a JPG, smaller and easier to print! I imported the JPGS into microsoft word and can size it in there. Then I just copy and paste it a whole bunch of times onto one sheet. Then just print it. Email me if you need more help!

I have a bunch of wallets left over from some nice portraits I had done a few years ago. I look pretty much the same, so I am just cutting them down to size as I need them. Cost - $0.

ok I have scanned my picture using Adobe Photoshop. When I print it on regular paper, it comes out very bad. What glossy paper are you guys talking about? Please tell me the details. Also in that picture I am standing next to other people and I would like to crop it so that only my picture appears. Is that possible?

Thanks!

Originally posted by medical22:
•ok I have scanned my picture using Adobe Photoshop. When I print it on regular paper, it comes out very bad. What glossy paper are you guys talking about? Please tell me the details. Also in that picture I am standing next to other people and I would like to crop it so that only my picture appears. Is that possible?

Thanks!•

Glossy paper is meant for printing photographs. Ink on just regular paper is going to be dull, and not as realistic. You can probably get it at Kinkos, but I've gotten mine at Best Buy.

As for cropping, select the area you want to be in the picture. Then you need to make a new page. 6-8 Weeks suggested Word to do it, which is fine - but I do mine in Photoshop because of better color matching control with my printer. So, I opened up a new document sized at 8.5x11 inches - with a 300 dpi resolution, this will be about 25 MB. Then just paste away your pic as many times as it will fit. Then save it (you never know when you may need it again), print it on your glossy paper and you're good to go.

Andrew

what's up

i just set my camera on a tripod in the backyard and took a roll of glamor shots up against a light-colored wall. $2.90 for 24 3"x5" prints at Costco. My equipment is decent so they came out well...just remember if you're shooting 35mm film at a normal lens focal length (i.e. 50mm), have your head and shoulders take up about half of the vertical space in the viewfinder...it makes for nice passport-sized proportions.