Photos for secondaries???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PookieGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

What are people doing for photos for secondaries? Are you getting them professionally done? Or passport size at a copy shop? Or, like me, trying to crop your face out of digital images and fit them according to the school's desire? What are you supposed to do?

If it is ok to crop and upload, can anyone tell me how to shrink photos using paint in windows XP? I've cropped my face out of a photo, but the image needs to b 150 pixels by 150 pixels, and my is over that.

Thanks for your kind help as always.

M

Members don't see this ad.

In Paint? Hmm...if I recall correctly, I think you can resize by going to Image --> Attributes, and then you can adjust the size of the photo in there.

I remember a thread about this topic a little while ago which gave some useful ideas.

I went to Kinkos, had a passport photo taken ($13) and then used the color copy machine to make 30 copies. The front desk has paper that is pretty much like photo paper. My pictures turned out well and only cost me $1 or $2. At least one aspect of this silly process isn't making me broke :)

Members don't see this ad :)
any one of the ideas you are good. but getting them professionally done is prolly a waste of $.

GLAMOUR SHOTS. fuzzy lighting. lots of rouge. feather boa.

I just took a picture with a digital camera and printed a bunch of copies from my computer.

tinkerbelle said:
I remember a thread about this topic a little while ago which gave some useful ideas.

I went to Kinkos, had a passport photo taken ($13) and then used the color copy machine to make 30 copies. The front desk has paper that is pretty much like photo paper. My pictures turned out well and only cost me $1 or $2. At least one aspect of this silly process isn't making me broke :)

Sounds good-- cheap, easy and simple. It seems like most people are mailing them in as opposed to uploading them. So glad to hear that people aren't doing them professionally. You never know to what lengths people go in this game. :)

Thanks.

Walmart. Take a picture with a digtal camera (the nice lady at the photo studio let me do it against one of their backgrounds), go to their developing place, load them in their machine and they print them out (it was 24 cents for two passports or something like that). The pictures are on the professional paper, and they cut them up for me and everything. All done and it looks professional.

Now if only I photographed better...

PookieGirl said:
Hi,

What are people doing for photos for secondaries? Are you getting them professionally done? Or passport size at a copy shop? Or, like me, trying to crop your face out of digital images and fit them according to the school's desire? What are you supposed to do?

If it is ok to crop and upload, can anyone tell me how to shrink photos using paint in windows XP? I've cropped my face out of a photo, but the image needs to b 150 pixels by 150 pixels, and my is over that.

Thanks for your kind help as always.

M

it is a waste to have it professionally done if you have access to a digital camera. You can probably do it better yourself and higher quality, providing you have a good printer.

overall: 20 pictures for 1 or 2 dollars.

passport size from copy shot worked for me

Just make sure you smile in your photos! :thumbup:

If they ask for a passport size photo, which I believe is 2x2, is it ok to send one thats 2x1.5? or does it look like I can't follow directions?

sunsweet said:
If they ask for a passport size photo, which I believe is 2x2, is it ok to send one thats 2x1.5? or does it look like I can't follow directions?

That is totally fine. a 25% difference in size is NOT in any way going to be the reason for a rejection.

calstudent said:
That is totally fine. a 25% difference in size is NOT in any way going to be the reason for a rejection.

a few i've seen say:

"""this photo should
1) fit into this box
2) be no bigger than 2"x2"
3) not look stupid
"""
i haven't seen the third answer as often as the other two... but if they're not specifying anything in particular, no worries

i downloaded some action shots from ER for mine!

or, i went to Sav-on (chain pharmacy) who takes a sheet of 16 ID photos for 6.99.....

I was advised by few Adcoms to get it done professionally.

I got 4 passport photos at a store for 4 dollars (I actually did need photos to renew my passport), I reproduced these photos at a Kinko's photomachine and got 25+ high quality prints of varying sizes for under 10 dollars.