Photos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComicBookDude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question:

In order to go through my school's committee, I need to to submit an application which includes a recent photo. Since I don't have any decent photos that look professional, I was thinking of going over to Walgreen's and getting a new one taken.

So here's my question: Do medical school secondaries (or any other stage of the application process) require a photo to be submitted? This way, I can just get more copies now instead of having to go back later.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You are better off getting a digital photo taken and just print as needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! One more question - does the photo have to be professional? Or can I just dress up, stand behind a blue background and have a friend take the picture with a digital camera?

yes. take a picture with a digital camera

All I did was toss on my shirt and tie and my suit jacket. Then just set my digital camera on timer and took the picture from the chest up (I think I might of just had boxers or something on). It actually turned out really good. That way it is on my computer (for online secondaries) and I also went to target and had maybe 10 wallet sized printed (for mail-ins). Just look nice and proffesional and you can't go wrong. Don't submit your picture from college when your doing a keg stand for the first time or something like that, and don't take one after just rolling out of bed when you look like sh** and you have your old 80's hair band T-shirt on.

Thanks! One more question - does the photo have to be professional? Or can I just dress up, stand behind a blue background and have a friend take the picture with a digital camera?

I took a picture with my sister's digital camera. It was me in a collared shirt and tie against a white wall. Very simple.

At my interview at Maryland (they're huge on professionalisim) the dean was talking about professionalism and mentioned that all the applicants in the room have already taken the first step in professionalism by not submitting some random picture of you hanging out with your friends (to paraphrase...I don't remember his exact wording but basically he was saying that it's a good thing you all dressed nicely and took normal looking pictures).

Anyway, some of your secondaries will want pictures, some won't. Of all the schools I applied to, I think only 3 or 4 wanted one.