Phys Ass. 4yrs then MED school???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sadly, there are 4 year PA programs accepting kids out of HS. it's becoming less and less of a graduate degree, and more of a joke.

http://www.dyc.edu/academics/physician_assistant/curriculum.asp

There are even A.A. degrees. Although at least they require 3,000 of direct patient care before applying.

http://pcap.stanford.edu/

Members don't see this ad.

I think one thing to think about is that having a PA major will likely NOT give you an advantage for getting INTO med school. That's largely dependent on your MCAT, GPA, extracurriculars, etc. You may also have trouble getting the necessary letters of recommendation if you're in a program designed solely to graduate PAs. Also, having the time to do volunteering, physician shadowing, and all those types of things is important, and being in a PA program might not be conducive to that.

Your PA coursework probably won't help you on the MCAT, since it pretty much has no clinical focus. (It's really about how well you learn the stuff in your pre-req sciences)

Whether or not having a PA degree will help you IN med school is debatable, I think. If you'd like to read about what the differences might be, look at corpsmanUP's 2nd post on this page: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=202203&page=2

Good luck

I don't think being a P.A will give me an edge in med. school just a feel...Like mini med school :p

I agree that it will be hard to get LOR. Maybe I could get them from Pre med req. professors?

Not to mention the fact that the PA curriculum isn't a cake walk. If she decides she really wants to be a doctor while in the PA program, and then has ANY problems in the classes, it could be very detrimental to her med school chances.

Sure, she'd still be a PA, but what if she wants to do a lot of research later, or wants a bit more autonomy? Then you'll be a bitter medical provider and that does no one any good.

1. Thats a good point. Still not a reason NOT to do it, since I could have a problem with any class.

2. I'm not interested in research whether P.A or doc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's logical to do it. Why do you want to take up a spot in a PA program when you have no intention of actually practicing? That spot could go to someone who will be working in an ER in 4 years, or delivering babies or whatever. Instead, you're thinking about taking up a spot someone might actually use? I don't get some people.

MIGHT is the opperative word here. That's like saying women that had kids in college and then chose to be stay-at-home moms wasted their degree that could've gone to someone else..

I MIGHT want to be a P.A if I don't get into med school. Lots of people here said they'd be P.As if they couldn't be doctors. Why should I wait to go to P.A school until after I don't into med school? :confused:

Life: Get educated, get a job, get married, have kids, raise kids, retire.

I don't really care about anything past "get married". Even that is a bit iffy since I'm gay. I only have a career to think about.

However, I do see your point. Everybody is different :)

I'm with you on that ;) People keep saying 4+4+3 for med school. Doesn't sound too bad to me. My cousin was in school until 28 just to be a school counsler. By then I'd be done with med school. I have no kids no b/f to worry about. It's just all about me:D

That's a general consensus amongst adcom members. It is very difficult to get into medical school as a nurse, PA, PharmD, etc.

WHY?? I don't get that AT ALL?? Don't that want us just a little bit prepared to succeed???

WHY?? I don't get that AT ALL?? Don't that want us just a little bit prepared to succeed???

If you can handle the PA curriculum and still get at least a 3.6, it wouldn't be a BAD choice...if you weren't taking a spot from someone who actually intends to practice as a PA. PA schools are extremely competitive, there are many more applicants than there are spots. Let people who intend to become PAs become PAs and don't use it as a springboard into medical school.

I'm with you on that ;) People keep saying 4+4+3 for med school. Doesn't sound too bad to me. My cousin was in school until 28 just to be a school counsler. By then I'd be done with med school. I have no kids no b/f to worry about. It's just all about me:D

A PhD in counseling psychology is hardly comparable to a MD/DO curriculum. You intern for only 1 year and the other year are all theory. You basically have a lot of time to start a family or begin making a life for yourself.

If you can handle the PA curriculum and still get at least a 3.6, it wouldn't be a BAD choice...if you weren't taking a spot from someone who actually intends to practice as a PA. PA schools are extremely competitive, there are many more applicants than there are spots. Let people who intend to become PAs become PAs and don't use it as a springboard into medical school.
:thumbup:

A PhD in counseling psychology is hardly comparable to a MD/DO curriculum. You intern for only 1 year and the other year are all theory. You basically have a lot of time to start a family or begin making a life for yourself.

I meant in terms of length of schooling...but w.e :rolleyes:

I meant in terms of length of schooling...but w.e :rolleyes:

It's not the same length lol. 5 years of counseling will be maybe 30 hours of work a week. Medical school will be about 7 years of 40-80 hours of work. Medicine in the same amount of time 4 years will be about double the length and strain. Residency alone will be 3+ years of 80 hour weeks, of which will be alone double what 5 years of PhD study will be like.

I think PhD is almost comparable to residency. Researching isn't a 40/week job, especially when you've got to think about a thesis. However, since no lives are in the line (except those of your cells/mice), it is not as stressful.

Now, there are online Psychology PhD's, and those aren't the same thing ;p

This.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

How do people think this is a good idea?

What does one do to ensure that they "weren't taking a spot from someone who actually intends to practice as a PA?"

How do people think this is a good idea?

What does one do to ensure that they "weren't taking a spot from someone who actually intends to practice as a PA?"

I think you misread his post. I think he is saying that the curriculum that PAs take could show he is ready for medical school but he would be taking a seat away from someone who is going to practice as a PA. So I think he is against his plan.

I think you misread his post. I think he is saying that the curriculum that PAs take could show he is ready for medical school but he would be taking a seat away from someone who is going to practice as a PA. So I think he is against his plan.

That is exactly what I am saying (and I am a she :))

oh right. sorry bout that, not enough emphasis on the IF.

Take their seat and never look back. They should of been a better applicant.