• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

lovemango

7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2012
Boston
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I was a scribe through PhysAssist and it was an awesome experience. I got to work with a different doc every shift, see patients alongside them, and watch tons of procedures. Many of the docs I worked with also like to teach, and I learned the basics of reading X-rays and interpreting lab results as a scribe. You get to see each doctor's thought process from the time they initially see the patient until they decide to either discharge or admit them. I talked about it a lot during my med school interviews.

Not going to lie, the pay sucks, but it's more about the experience that you get out of it.

Jan 19, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey! Could you be more specific about the pay? I interviewed with them and they said you're paid minimum wage for 3 months, and then you're eligible for a certain % raise every 3 months. Is that right?

About the Ads
Jan 31, 2012
Hey, what kind of questions did they ask in the interview?

I just interviewed with PhyAssist a week ago. It was just the usual "why medicine" and then a few scenario questions. Other than that, they just wanted to elaborate on my resume and see if I'm ok with the scheduling and job description.

Jun 10, 2013
Puerto Rico
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I just interviewed with PhyAssist a week ago. It was just the usual "why medicine" and then a few scenario questions. Other than that, they just wanted to elaborate on my resume and see if I'm ok with the scheduling and job description.

Did they say when you'd find out if you got hired or not? My interview is tomorrow through Skype, i've never interviewed over webcam before.

Jan 31, 2012
Did they say when you'd find out if you got hired or not? My interview is tomorrow through Skype, i've never interviewed over webcam before.

Mine was on Skype as well and yeah, it feels a bit awkward at first. This is just my experience but the interviewer takes notes on his opinion of you and then forwards it to the hiring manager for review. I was hired the day after my interview but they needed the position filled ASAP so maybe it was unusually fast for me.

lovemango

7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2012
Boston
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey! Could you be more specific about the pay? I interviewed with them and they said you're paid minimum wage for 3 months, and then you're eligible for a certain % raise every 3 months. Is that right?

I think I posted this in another thread, but I quit back in February so I don't know if they've since changed how the pay works. But when I was hired, everyone was paid minimum wage during training and then it went up to $8.70/hr; trainers were paid an extra $1/hr. The pay raise thing is a very new thing that was being talked about when I left.

Jan 19, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Ok thanks. I'm torn because I really want to take the job but don't think I can afford it at just $8.70/hr.

My interview was very easy, I was just asked the "why medicine" and "why scribe" questions. The skype thing was awkward but worth it to not have to drive. I was told by someone who had worked there before that once you get to the interview stage it's basically a formality.

lovemango

7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2012
Boston
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Ok thanks. I'm torn because I really want to take the job but don't think I can afford it at just $8.70/hr.

My interview was very easy, I was just asked the "why medicine" and "why scribe" questions. The skype thing was awkward but worth it to not have to drive. I was told by someone who had worked there before that once you get to the interview stage it's basically a formality.

Don't forget to account for gas too if you'll be commuting a lot. I mostly worked at two hospitals, but we also had to work outlying hospitals (at least 2-3 shifts a month for part-time, if I remember correctly) and my commute to one of those hospitals was about an hour drive. Like I said, it's more about the experience than the pay when it comes to scribing.

lovemango

7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2012
Boston
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Can you apply to more than one location? and are u interviewed for every location you apply for?

When I was hired, you did one interview and you ranked the team locations you were interested in working at. Then they offered you a job on of those teams, based on open positions. So I applied to the Fort Worth THR team, Dallas THR, and Cook Children's, and accepted a job on the Fort Worth team.

Jun 10, 2013
Puerto Rico
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
That was a really cool interview. They asked me like 20 questions.

For those who were hired, were you notified by phone or email? and how long after interview did they notify you were hired?

May 16, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Being an ER scribe is a great experience. You will be well ahead of all your peers when it comes to differential diagnosis, films and procedures. You literally will be shadowing doctors for your job. With that being said PhysAssist is a heartless company that exploits the dreams of young talented pre-meds. The compensation is abysmal. You will not be able to support yourself on this job. Esp if you are taking a break year and have to pay any student loans. You start at minimum wage and then you get moved up to a little over $9 an hour, state min where I live is around 7.85 so you get a little more than a $1/$1.50 increase (you lose all sympathy for McDonalds workers who want $15 an hour). You cannot trust this company. They will often tell you what you one thing but then the opposite happens because corporate is so unorganized and incompetent that what they honestly feels like they are making it up as they go along.

If you have an interview, as long as you don't blow the interview, you are pretty much guaranteed a job. If you fail at ScribeU (week long training facility) or during your ED training, they don't care because they will just replace you until there is someone who can do it. You are just a number to this company. That is why no matter how good of a scribe you are you will still get harassment emails if you clock out 15 minutes late. If you get high marks on your quarterly reviews you are eligible for a raise every 1000hrs and that raise will roughly be about 50 cents (you do the math).

To summarize, I highly recommend the scribe experience but I would steer clear of this company. I hear other companies (ABC scribes/ScribeAmerica) at least pay a little better.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.