physical chemistry?? class suggestions??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nishi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i start classes tomorrow and only have 9 credit hours scheduled.
i was wondering if i should take p-chem. i've heard is really tough but maybe the challenge will be good? can anyone advise me either way???? is it mostly math based?

i have 3 semesters left so i'm thinking of adding a major or minor in international studies. my school's science department isn't that good and i've taken just about all the bio courses they offer.

thanks for any suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

nishi said:
i was wondering if i should take p-chem. i've heard is really tough but maybe the challenge will be good? can anyone advise me either way???? is it mostly math based?

i'm also thinking of adding a major or minor in international studies. my school's science department isn't that good and i've taken just about all the bio courses they offer. thanks for any suggestions.

I was looking at our university's biophysical chem book today and it looked like a great review of Gen Chem topics in graphic detail. I dont have the math for it yet so I am going to hold off.

nishi said:

i have 3 semesters left so i'm thinking of adding a major or minor in international studies. my school's science department isn't that good and i've taken just about all the bio courses they offer.

thanks for any suggestions.

so are you a bio major wanting to take p-chem? because if so, can't you just take it and declare yourself a bio major, chem minor (i think you need like, 1 or 2 other classes -if you're premed- to have a chem minor)...? just a thought.. i would probably think taking higher level classes (like p-chem) would not only challenge you (in a good way), but also look better in the eyes of med schools. good luck with it! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
saffronrain said:
so are you a bio major wanting to take p-chem? because if so, can't you just take it and declare yourself a bio major, chem minor (i think you need like, 1 or 2 other classes -if you're premed- to have a chem minor)...? just a thought.. i would probably think taking higher level classes (like p-chem) would not only challenge you (in a good way), but also look better in the eyes of med schools. good luck with it! :)

i'm a bio major and chem minor. i've finished the requirements for both already, pchem isn't necessary for chem minor at my school. i'm thinking though, maybe i should start a major in international studies and forget p-chem. i'm not sure how useful p-chem would be but who knows.

I'm in p-chem right now, and it looks like it's going to be really hard. My professor keeps saying things like "I don't want to flunk anyone, but some people leave me no choice"
However, if you're only in nine hours maybe it won't be that bad.

My school has p-chem for chem majors and a p-chem for biochem and life science majors. The major difference seems to be the math level. Anyone else encountered this scenario?

Why on earth would ANYONE want to take p-chem if they didn't have to? Ok, maybe if they have a "softer" pchem for non-chem majors, but STILL - Don't do it!

Pchem was definitely a very fun course (no kidding - I really liked it). It IS mostly math based, and I have never heard of a pchem for non-chem majors class. I rather liked pchem for chemistry majors. HOWEVER: I caution you strongly against taking pchem unless you are very strong in your math skills and concepts.

ms1finally said:
Why on earth would ANYONE want to take p-chem if they didn't have to? Ok, maybe if they have a "softer" pchem for non-chem majors, but STILL - Don't do it!
At my school, baby pchem is harder to get an A in because both sections curve, but people end up understanding baby pchem, so people actually blow the curve, whereas when I took pchem for a chem BS a 75 would get you an A. I would say it totally depends on the prof. If you have a professor that curves well, the topics are interesting but extremely hard. I must say though that I had a graph of electronic levels on the MCAT that I wouldn't have remembered from just gen chem of from reading the kaplan books. If you have time to study, take it just to tell people you survived it! everyone knows its hardcore, and it is a very thought provoking (almost metaphysical at times) topic.

whatever tickles your pickle man