• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

physical chemistry?? class suggestions??

nishi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
    i start classes tomorrow and only have 9 credit hours scheduled.
    i was wondering if i should take p-chem. i've heard is really tough but maybe the challenge will be good? can anyone advise me either way???? is it mostly math based?

i have 3 semesters left so i'm thinking of adding a major or minor in international studies. my school's science department isn't that good and i've taken just about all the bio courses they offer.

thanks for any suggestions.

ZoolanderUM

Membership Revoked
    Removed
    10+ Year Member
    Aug 23, 2005
      nishi said:
      i was wondering if i should take p-chem. i've heard is really tough but maybe the challenge will be good? can anyone advise me either way???? is it mostly math based?

i'm also thinking of adding a major or minor in international studies. my school's science department isn't that good and i've taken just about all the bio courses they offer. thanks for any suggestions.

I was looking at our university's biophysical chem book today and it looked like a great review of Gen Chem topics in graphic detail. I dont have the math for it yet so I am going to hold off.

saffronrain

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Feb 5, 2005
      1. Other Health Professions Student
        nishi said:

i have 3 semesters left so i'm thinking of adding a major or minor in international studies. my school's science department isn't that good and i've taken just about all the bio courses they offer.

thanks for any suggestions.

so are you a bio major wanting to take p-chem? because if so, can't you just take it and declare yourself a bio major, chem minor (i think you need like, 1 or 2 other classes -if you're premed- to have a chem minor)...? just a thought.. i would probably think taking higher level classes (like p-chem) would not only challenge you (in a good way), but also look better in the eyes of med schools. good luck with it! :)

About the Ads

nishi

10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Nov 21, 2004
          saffronrain said:
          so are you a bio major wanting to take p-chem? because if so, can't you just take it and declare yourself a bio major, chem minor (i think you need like, 1 or 2 other classes -if you're premed- to have a chem minor)...? just a thought.. i would probably think taking higher level classes (like p-chem) would not only challenge you (in a good way), but also look better in the eyes of med schools. good luck with it! :)

i'm a bio major and chem minor. i've finished the requirements for both already, pchem isn't necessary for chem minor at my school. i'm thinking though, maybe i should start a major in international studies and forget p-chem. i'm not sure how useful p-chem would be but who knows.

Saluki

1K Member
          10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Nov 11, 2002
            I'm in p-chem right now, and it looks like it's going to be really hard. My professor keeps saying things like "I don't want to flunk anyone, but some people leave me no choice"
            However, if you're only in nine hours maybe it won't be that bad.

Sicilian

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Aug 8, 2005
              My school has p-chem for chem majors and a p-chem for biochem and life science majors. The major difference seems to be the math level. Anyone else encountered this scenario?

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
              Moderator Emeritus
              15+ Year Member
              Jun 17, 2004
              Where I hang my hat.
              1. Attending Physician
                Pchem was definitely a very fun course (no kidding - I really liked it). It IS mostly math based, and I have never heard of a pchem for non-chem majors class. I rather liked pchem for chemistry majors. HOWEVER: I caution you strongly against taking pchem unless you are very strong in your math skills and concepts.

penguinophile

MetalHead
                Moderator Emeritus
                10+ Year Member
                Jun 16, 2005
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  ms1finally said:
                  Why on earth would ANYONE want to take p-chem if they didn't have to? Ok, maybe if they have a "softer" pchem for non-chem majors, but STILL - Don't do it!
                  At my school, baby pchem is harder to get an A in because both sections curve, but people end up understanding baby pchem, so people actually blow the curve, whereas when I took pchem for a chem BS a 75 would get you an A. I would say it totally depends on the prof. If you have a professor that curves well, the topics are interesting but extremely hard. I must say though that I had a graph of electronic levels on the MCAT that I wouldn't have remembered from just gen chem of from reading the kaplan books. If you have time to study, take it just to tell people you survived it! everyone knows its hardcore, and it is a very thought provoking (almost metaphysical at times) topic.

About the Ads
                  This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.