Physical Chemistry Vs. Biological Physical Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted755735

Hello guys,

I noticed that in my junior year I am required to take either physical chem 1 or biological physical chem, and I am wondering what the difference is between the two in terms of content/difficulty. Also, I have taken up to Calc 2 and will be taking Calc 3 (next semester, in my fall semester of sophomore year), I am just wondering what other math courses will be useful for physical chem (linear algebra, differential equations, partial differential equations, real analysis etc.?)

Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

The best option would be to email/speak to the two professors and ask for a syllabus to see which material is covered, or ask students who have taken the course before.

At my university, we have PChem I/II, the first of which was primarily gas laws (ideal gas law, virial series, Van der Waals/Redlich-Kwong equations, with all of the different expansion/compression conditions like adiabatic, constant tempt, constant pressure, etc.), and the second semester is Michaelis Menten enzyme kinetics, and predicting the location of a particle (particle in a box, on a box, etc.).

My guess would be enzyme kinetics for the biological physical chem, and a lot of gas laws for physical chem I, but again, it likely varies by school. Just nab a syllabus/talk to the professors/students who have taken the courses before. Difficulty also varies by school; both pchem I/II were of similar difficulty here. Calc I was sufficient for both courses at my uni, but higher-level courses would allow you to understand the material with more depth.

I would assume the biological p chem is basically dealing with the p-chem (macro, subatomic, stat-mech, etc) in biological contexts. I could see either being useful depending on if you are more chemically inclined and how mathematical of an approach your specific prof takes. From what @Verity is describing sounds like my ChE thermo class + biochem II - pretty interesting mix.

In a basic p-chem course the only math you'd really need is algebra, basic differential and integral calc, stats, ODEs. If you go on and take a quantum course, PDEs, linear algebra and integral calc may come in handy. I honestly can't remember what I gained from my real analysis course (except a math minor) which I took ~8 yrs ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best option would be to email/speak to the two professors and ask for a syllabus to see which material is covered, or ask students who have taken the course before.

At my university, we have PChem I/II, the first of which was primarily gas laws (ideal gas law, virial series, Van der Waals/Redlich-Kwong equations, with all of the different expansion/compression conditions like adiabatic, constant tempt, constant pressure, etc.), and the second semester is Michaelis Menten enzyme kinetics, and predicting the location of a particle (particle in a box, on a box, etc.).

My guess would be enzyme kinetics for the biological physical chem, and a lot of gas laws for physical chem I, but again, it likely varies by school. Just nab a syllabus/talk to the professors/students who have taken the courses before. Difficulty also varies by school; both pchem I/II were of similar difficulty here. Calc I was sufficient for both courses at my uni, but higher-level courses would allow you to understand the material with more depth.

Thank you for the reply! I am going to speak to my counsellor tomorrow and get in contact with the profs (it is still early, but it's better to know now and to prepare accordingly)

Reactions: 1 user
I would assume the biological p chem is basically dealing with the p-chem (macro, subatomic, stat-mech, etc) in biological contexts. I could see either being useful depending on if you are more chemically inclined and how mathematical of an approach your specific prof takes. From what @Verity is describing sounds like my ChE thermo class + biochem II - pretty interesting mix.

In a basic p-chem course the only math you'd really need is algebra, basic differential and integral calc, stats, ODEs. If you go on and take a quantum course, PDEs, linear algebra and integral calc may come in handy. I honestly can't remember what I gained from my real analysis course (except a math minor) which I took ~8 yrs ago.
Thank you for the reply! and yeah.. I think PChem 2 is the one that deals with quantum and I do not think that I need to take PChem 2 (but who knows, if I end up like PChem 1 I might take it as an elective!)

FWIW, I took regular PChem last semester and it was, by far, the hardest class I have ever taken. We jumped straight into all kinds of crazy quantum mechanics immediately and it was thoroughly unpleasant. That being said, after taking that class I really felt like I understood chemistry on an entirely new level. I am a TA for organic chemistry and now when my students ask me what an atomic orbital is, I am far better equipped to answer them.

Also note that my professor was a certifiably insane person who would take off 5% from your entire grade if he caught you sleeping in class.

Also note that my professor was a certifiably insane person who would take off 5% from your entire grade if he caught you sleeping in class.

WHAT???? :scared:

FWIW, I took regular PChem last semester and it was, by far, the hardest class I have ever taken. We jumped straight into all kinds of crazy quantum mechanics immediately and it was thoroughly unpleasant. That being said, after taking that class I really felt like I understood chemistry on an entirely new level. I am a TA for organic chemistry and now when my students ask me what an atomic orbital is, I am far better equipped to answer them.

:O :O

What P-Chem are you people taking? our p-chems deal with quantum mechanics, at least in p-chem 1.

Biology pchem in my school is focused on more in-depth general chemistry ideas in a biological context. The class was taught using calculus but the tests themselves don't have any calculus.

Currently in a P Biochem class. Lots of calculus required in and out of tests.
I took differential equations/linear algebra and I've been doing fine in the class.